#61 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

Rimfire cases are not reloadable.  The primer compound is put inside the rim of the case when it is first formed at the factory, and can not be replaced. 

Centerfire primers are a seperate cap that fit in a cup at the base of the shell.  The spent one is pressed out, and a new one pressed in every time you reload the case.

• Myc likes this

#62 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

I think rimffire cartridges are pre-charged with nitro glycerin - cannot be reloaded.

I'm reloading center fire rounds.

As an update, I hit another snag. The previous owner had a tough time setting up this tool. Let's just say he had a few frustrated incidences which resulted in some ape-like handling (if you catch my drift). I was able to straighten all of that out. But the one thing I cannot straighten out is all of the lost parts.

I guess I'm just going to have to go through the original parts list and compare - item by item - what I have vs. what was originally included and order the missing stuff. Learning the hard way - as I always do.

I kept getting reversed primers seated in the shells - and figure out the problem. Missing part.

Everything else works perfectly. I just wish the original owner had not gone into a rage and bent, destroyed, or threw away so many necessary pieces.

Don't worry. I'm meticulous and know how to fix this. It's just going to take a looooooooong time to get the parts given the current circumstances. Long story short - it will be awhile before I load a completed round of ammunition.

Thanks for reading along. I'll include an update if I can manage to locate all of the missing shit.

• makinbones69 likes this

#63 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:14 PM

U may be able to purchase alot on eBay man if u identify which pieces u need. I would imagine u can freely trade the parts to your reloader.
I erased my previous post my b. Yes I was wondering this as the dmg to the casing happens when u fire a rimfire. I enjoy reading along man. Basically what it said baha

Edited by makinbones69, 20 July 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#64 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:58 PM

Looks like Cabela's here in town has the parts I need on the shelf. I know a few of the salesmen over there so I'll make a call and secure what i need for pickup. -- Talk about lucky!

Another note is that my custom fabricated powder baffle seems to work like a champ. I get consistently equal powder charges with each throw. Each throw being either identical or one tenth either way - long or short. Given that there is a minimum and maximum range on powder charge I decided to shoot for the middle of the road. One tenth either way won't make a serious difference being that this is not intended for the target range and I will remain well within min/max charge specs.

• makinbones69 likes this

#65 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:01 PM

Nice. Most gunshop owners are responsible man and doing business is breezy if u just look around and inquire. I'm happy for you and stoked ur getting so into it. Is a nice skill set to have in ur back pocket. That's what I deleted I wanted to say.

Edited by makinbones69, 20 July 2020 - 09:02 PM.

• Myc likes this

#66 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:27 PM

Is a good move ur making. This is my last look at small herd in a field where I hunt. Is all does and young. I'd never shoot em cuz I chase the whitetail bucks mostly and that's future population. Only on doe days would I take them and never in this scenario But if shit hits the fan it's what's for dinner. Ur making a smart move to work this angle I feel. There is so much meat in a good season dude. And that's here places with moose and bigger mule deer can be more promising in a survival environment I'm sure. Like I said I'm happy for you it's awesome to get dinner bro. Done now just drinking and so happy ur getting ur skill on.14f4aa01fa81d52fc6d57a703f0461ec.jpg

Edited by makinbones69, 20 July 2020 - 09:28 PM.

• Myc and Juthro like this

#67 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

I'm relaxing and having a couple myself. Keep going back to test the setting on that powder measure and it is dead-on. Once I can prime cases it's all over with but the shooting. ;)

As for the deer out the back yard......

When the shit hits the fan - I hope you don't live near a densely populated area. In my imagination, Juthro - and maybe Alder are best suited for this scenario.

Around here all of the wilderness areas are clogged with people trying to get some time away from virus restrictions. I tried to go fishing a few weekends ago and an otherwise prized, usually empty fishing spot was covered up. Game doesn't stand a chance if all of these folks get hungry. And they fish out the rivers catching and taking everything that bites - while I've been a catch-and-release fisherman for 18 years or more. I only take a fish in abundant years - when they're fat, healthy, and prolific. Otherwise, I put 'em back.

I hope you are far away from "civilization" and difficult to get to. Otherwise, you're going to need some serious ammo to keep the two-legged poachers from eating your dinner - and other fun stuff.

• Juthro and makinbones69 like this

#68 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:08 PM

I do not live in a densly populated area and am super safe. Fr man safety is number on head on a swivel always. My range In another field . I have it marked 25 50 75 100 200 yards that's is.
Home home on the range where the deer lose their watermelon eating brains... Bahaa!e04662334b7748403388f00a082a62d6.jpg40726cd434b527178a8c0fda1ee6be73.jpg370b874b304140191c4d89d68392c588.jpg643eba00b1c6af94fd2d24fb88fe699e.jpg

Edited by makinbones69, 20 July 2020 - 10:11 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#69 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:15 PM

I'm sorry ur wildernesses areas is like that fr. But as you go along there are many free ranges usually. Look them up online and peep their rules and regulations. Put ur rifle or handgun in a case and go shoot it's usually thatstraight forward as long as ur good with basic gun safety. Go during the week when people are at work to get ur shit down and then move forward.

#70 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:18 PM

The pine tree is 100 from the post driver with 50 75 in between. And there is another 100 past the treein a stand I gotta do some work out there I honestly only shoot mostly from 100 150 right now. I kill it at100 and 125 but kinda get shitty at 200 I'm working on that slowly

Edited by makinbones69, 20 July 2020 - 10:19 PM.

#71 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:48 PM

Well then........when the shit does hit the fan - got room for a hard-working, self-motivating, very accurate with fire-arms of any kind, fungus cultivator, cactus cultivator, cannabis cultivator, food cultivator...........??? Oh - and I used to work at a packing house - so I know how to properly disassemble animals. I don't like watching them die but I have no qualms with turning them into parts for dinner.

So long as I can kill them from a good, safe distance - i.e. long-range rifle......no problem. Butchering skills - no problem.

#72 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:09 PM

I hope one day I could potentially make an operation for my friends and especially people who know more than me to make some profit. For now I board horses and work a salvage business with my bro. We buy up land like sharks tho it's the angle here. Not all at once but. Anyway we face legalization issues I won't elaborate on but yea we got the land and we waiting for it

#73 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:39 PM

Just cuz juthro knows me I think I wanna say. I do go to school also I start back in fall. I was in the military myc is how I got going. No badass just a simple Navy man with a nice recordand been deployed a couple times. Like to invest and am a mechanic for my homies parts restoration business whom I work for in my spare time. So for juthro I start back in fall I'm just working the summer.
  • coorsmikey and Juthro like this

#74 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,175 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:13 AM

Well then........when the shit does hit the fan - got room for a hard-working, self-motivating, very accurate with fire-arms of any kind, fungus cultivator, cactus cultivator, cannabis cultivator, food cultivator...........??? Oh - and I used to work at a packing house - so I know how to properly disassemble animals. I don't like watching them die but I have no qualms with turning them into parts for dinner.
So long as I can kill them from a good, safe distance - i.e. long-range rifle......no problem. Butchering skills - no problem.

You had me at yeast!
  • Myc, Juthro and makinbones69 like this

#75 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,083 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:12 PM

How do you feel about snow, and sub zero winter temps ?  I am sure you have a place next to our fire if you ever want it :)

• Myc and makinbones69 like this

#76 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,498 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:41 PM

ask him about the 5 minutes of light half the year

• Myc, Juthro and makinbones69 like this

#77 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:52 PM

I'm genuinely honored by the idea Juthro.

After about six months of darkness I regret to say that I might wind up like many of the natives - laying around in the street with a jug in my coat pocket. You'd probably drag me out back and declare that I had died of a hunting accident before it was all over. Just sayin'.

I'm pretty stable so long as I have a purpose. Survival seems to be a very busying task.

Chop wood. Carry water. The mantra of a sane man.

Back on topic:

Turns out that the stores in town did not have the part I need tor the reloading station. Neighbor went out and visited the sporting goods stores today and tells me that the reloading section of each store looks a lot like the toilet tissue aisle of the grocery stores when this all kicked-off. He thinks he found them on amzon but I have my doubts. I guess we'll see when the order arrives.

Until then.........I'm SOL.

#78 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,175 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:50 PM

In the Summer time you would wish he would take you back and shoot you so you can get some decent sleep. 

#79 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,970 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:57 PM

I thought about that too. But you could raise some amazing Matanuska Valley Alaskan Thunderfuck.

As for snow, I have back-country NNNBC cross-country skis - with steel edges. Perfect for hunting and faster than snow shoes. A man could check his traps in short order with a couple of good dogs, a rifle, and handgun. So long as I'm wearing good gear, I can do anything. Over the years I have accumulated some expedition grade garments to that purpose.

Snow is not my favorite. And I'm slow to get out of the rack in winter. Fair warning.

Extreme sports were more than an after-work obsession. Prior to back surgery, I could do 100 miles on a road-bike in 5 hours (with rest stops counted in the time). I mountain biked Moab - The Whole Enchilada. There are some good first-person videos out there - worth checking out. Like watching first person view of a roller coaster - only it's 8000 vertical feet of descent. I could still do it if my life depended upon the effort- but I would pay dearly. I'm about 20 years behind Alder in age and it's catching up with me daily.

• Juthro likes this

#80 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:03 PM

Those places sound so awesome I wanna visit the west more. I lived in San Diego for a bit but was gone alot so not really.
The cold is something scary for me and would be a major hurdle if I were to go such places. I can't see myself living past Appalachia because of snow and winter darkness all that.
I wish I had some of the memories and stuff u guys have seen doing that to reflect on tho that's super cool to have had those experiences!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!