325 replies to this topic

#81 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

One day,I just looked back and realized that I had accumulated something. Much like a snowball. You'll get it too - someday.

Make your own experiences. You'll see. ') And then.......make more.

I wonder what your experience will be like and I hope it is better than mine - 'cause mine has been fantastic  so far.

• Juthro and makinbones69 like this

#82 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:15 PM

My experiences abroad have been terrible and fantastic. Mostly awesome now that some have come to an end and enough time has passed for me to believe they have actually come to an end for me anyway.
I just definitely need to see from the Badlands up and west in this country for sure. And I'd only visit.i hate the cold I'd do it if I had to but Jesus the experience I have had with it has been well cold.
I'd like to experience living off the land to that degree tho. I hunt and fish fresh and salt water and do some gardening. But trapping and sledding like that is another level for sure. That intrigues me.

Edited by makinbones69, 21 July 2020 - 10:20 PM.

• Myc and Juthro like this

#83 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,125 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:23 PM

I did forget to mention one of the downsides for living here.  We get more earthquakes than the other 49 states combined.  The wife and I slept through a 7.4 earthquake last night, and we also slept through the reverse 911 call warning us about a potential tsunami, lol.

• Myc and makinbones69 like this

#84 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Back on track again. I finally located the parts I need and oh the irony - MidwayUSA to the rescue once again.

Not spamming these guys - cause we've just met - but they're leaving me with a good impression.

Parts should arrive sometime in early August so I can continue with my project.

#85 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

I did forget to mention one of the downsides for living here.  We get more earthquakes than the other 49 states combined.  The wife and I slept through a 7.4 earthquake last night, and we also slept through the reverse 911 call warning us about a potential tsunami, lol.

That's why I always sleep on an air mattress when I'm at (or near) the beach!

But damn, a 7.4 is pretty big to sleep through. I want to try whatever you're smoking these days, lol...

• Myc, coorsmikey, Juthro and 1 other like this

#86 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,125 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:53 PM

That's why I always sleep on an air mattress when I'm at (or near) the beach!

But damn, a 7.4 is pretty big to sleep through. I want to try whatever you're smoking these days, lol...

LOL, I've been smoking some Gas Monkey to help me sleep at night.  I guess its working.   :smoking-hookah:

But I think the biggest reason we didn't wake up was the epicenter was about 480 miles from where we are at.    As a crow flies, that's roughly the distance between Sacramento, and San Diego, or between  Boston, and Pittsburgh for you east coasters.

People often don't understand how big this really state is.   We are larger than texas, california, and montana combined.  We also have more coast line then the entire other 49 states combined. 

Edited by Juthro, 24 July 2020 - 02:20 AM.

#87 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

The Same herd. Same field they started running this time before I could get a pic. I'm ashamed to say there were like ten before the last two. That herd is growing dude check it that's two or so off the last pic I showed . Very cool I'm exited for this seasonfa8975f2cde0b0a2a56308c82d9bd02e.jpg
  • Juthro likes this

#88 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

Color me surprised !! The parts I ordered came in a week early !!!

Got the reloading station set back up and waiting for neighbor to get home. He specially requested that he wanted to watch the machine in action. The reality is that once I start, I can load 150 rounds in less than 40 minutes..........so still waiting.

I had completely dis-assembled the press and its parts and put them back in the crate. It took me less than one hour to get the tool re-assembled and ready to go. The nature of this press allows that all of the reloading dies can be set up into a locking hub which drops into the press. Once a die is set up - you don't have to make alterations unless you change bullet style or shell casing size. (This set does both .38 special or .357 magnum rounds.) In other words, if you load the same ammo every time - you never need to reset the dies as they're dialed-in and locked in position.

I'll do a few test rounds and then wait.

He gave me two or three kinds of powder so I plan to load a few shells with each recipe - carefully identifying the load data - so we can test them at the firing range for efficacy. Also, I don't have to test the ammo through my snub-nose pistol. Neighbor has a long-barrel .38 revolver so we can perform proper evaluation. We can also try a few rounds through a .357 revolver as well.

It has been a journey of fits and starts, setbacks and rewards..........but what a rewarding skill-set.

#89 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,125 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:45 PM

WIshing you much success friend :)

#90 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

Neighbor was very eager to watch the reloading station in action - and he was not disappointed.

While demonstrating the tool there were some minor errors which occurred. Occasionally, the primer feed mechanism would fail to serve a primer. Also, a random bullet here and there would fall over from the rotation of the station. Friend said he was having problems in both areas and they were the major cause of frustration with this tool. I was able to demonstrate that the issues were solved by means of minor adjustment.

The primer problem was a simple adjustment to the primer slide - the mechanism wasn't "throwing" far enough to grab a fresh primer from the stack.

The bullet problem was solved with an extra 1/4-turn advancement of the case flaring die.

I was able to load 50 rounds with Unique powder at 4.4 grains.

I've now switched powder and plan to load 50 rounds with  SR 4756 powder at 5.0 grains.

After that I'll load another 50 rounds with 2400 powder at 9.5 grains.

What I've done is to examine the loading data for each powder type in relation to the chosen bullet. There is a low limit and a high limit. For simplicity, I've started by shooting for "middle of the road". That way I know that any minor variations in powder charge will not result in an over or under charged case. The powder measure for this tool is very accurate and usually dumps exact amounts with the occasional over or under (but only by a tenth of a grain either way). I feel like I'm in safe territory for learning.

As a final measure - I've been checking all of the case lengths with a digital caliper and everything is measuring to spec. Secondly, I've weighed the finished rounds with a digital scale to make sure that they're all uniform.

We'll be ready to hit the firing range for testing very soon. Neighbor was really stoked (and I think a little embarrassed) at how accurate this tool can be and how easily adjusted. We didn't need a hammer for any part of the process......;)

• TVCasualty, makinbones69 and Mycol like this

#91 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

I'm excited for you to get to the range man. Very cool.

#92 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:26 PM

So this has gotten pretty interesting. After loading .38 special I've moved onto 9mm rounds. I'm set up to load a bunch of round-nosed bullets. Afterwards, I have some nice jacketed hollow point ammo and some nickel-plated cases. Today is going to be fun.

I also borrowed the dies for reloading some 7mm Magnum rounds which will fit ..........

A Savage arms 7mm Magnum rifle that I've managed to acquire. This is supposed to be an accurate rifle at 750 yards. A dream come true for sure since I've always liked long-range weapons.

Reloading rifle rounds is very technical and looks like a ton of fun!

Edited by Myc, 02 August 2020 - 02:27 PM.

• coorsmikey, Juthro and makinbones69 like this

#93 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:32 PM

Savage makes a nice rifle. Really accurate for their price. The 7mm 308 is my favorite calibur also and is what I hunt with. The 308 rem is preferred for accuracy over the 308 win. Having the 308 rem magnum is pretty badass as well man! Ur gonna have a blast sighting up that rifle it's fun. Also you can print 1 inch grid sighting targets online if u dont already know.
  • Myc and Juthro like this

#94 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:54 PM

What optic is on it if you get a chance I'm just curious. My Sav axis 7mm-08 has a Weaver kaspa optic setup. variable power 3-9x40mm objective lens.

It's a sweet rifle man easily my favorite bolt action I own evenn with that modest scope. Tbh I love that scope because of the ballistic-x reticle. Is a hunters best friend.

Fate has placed that very well into your hands man I'm stoked for you serious.

#95 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for that info - as I learn while I go along. I don't have a great deal of experience with long-range rifles other than the Remington .22-250. I can really reach out and touch some far-off stuff with that weapon - with deadly, consistent accuracy. I expect, due to its reputation, that the 7mm should perform more accurately and more powerfully - being able to shoot farther and flatter at that particular caliber.

Plus I already have all of the cool toys for this - case trimmer, re-sizing dies, and Hodgdon H4831SC powder. Additionally, I was given some factory brass which had all been fired from this rifle. All of the cases are "sized" to the chamber of this weapon and should make some perfect, match-grade ammo once I get the hang of it.

This has been a dream of mine for years - to own a long-range weapon. I've just never been able to justify the cost for hobby use only (since I don't hunt animals anymore). This rifle was traded to me for some electrical work installing surveillance cameras.

This is a Savage Model 111 7mm REM Mag with a Zeiss Terra 3x scope. The scope alone is worth almost more than the rifle. It is my first experience with a large diameter bullet and larger powder charge.

Once I get the hang of reloading cartridges to perfection.............There is a BR 6mm which is just begging to have some hand-made rounds go through it.

So far today I have loaded about 100 rounds of 115 gr FMJ round-nosed ammo with Alliant powder @ 4.8 grains.

I'm setting up to load another 100 rounds with 115 gr JHP - hollow-point ammo with the same Alliant powder @ 4.7 grains.

This ammo is not for me as I don't own a 9 mm weapon. I am keeping my eye out for a Springfield .40 caliber and will snap it up as soon as I can locate one. This is what DHS carries and I want to be able to pick up ammo if things get rough.

• makinbones69 likes this

#96 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:00 PM

I hear that. 9mm ammo is laying around tho fr. I think youd be fine either way u decide to go on that.
What u just said about ammo availability is another thing that draws me to the 762 ak style over the 556 NATO round for ar. If they got nasty I feel they would regulate AR ammo like step 1.
If u decide u would like a variable power scope at some point. The bushnell banner 3 is an affordable and should be very compatible with ur 308. That's what I wanted but dont really need and dont wanna mess up my groove with the weaver. As i said i really like that kaspa ballistic x optic

Edited by makinbones69, 02 August 2020 - 06:06 PM.

• Myc likes this

#97 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:33 PM

The Zeiss scope is variable power @ 3-9x42.

I don't know about Weaver and other manufacturers - but I do know from microscopy and cameras that Carl Zeiss optics are the king of the road. I'll sight this weapon in over the coming weeks and take advice as I go along. Thanks for anything you folks might have to offer.

I like to put several bullets through the same hole as a goal.

A friend of my ex-fiance once handed me his S&W .45 caliber and stood back to see what I could do with it. Let's just say he was astonished that I could just rip a finger shape out of the target paper by "walking" the shooting pattern. He commented after one single magazine full of rounds that he should just give me the pistol since he could not achieve that same degree of accuracy. He quit shooting for the day after that. I wish I had reigned it in and threw a few off-target so he wouldn't feel so bad. I wasn't trying to insult him - just shooting.

Another friend of mine introduced me to the Springfield .40 caliber.........

Same thing happened. I could accurately blast fixed or moving targets while he struggled to hit bullseye on fixed targets. Same ammo - same pistol - different shooter.

It paid to grow up with a bow-and-arrow along with a bb-gun. A shooter can learn a lot from those two weapons with practice and discipline.

#98 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:41 PM

I was wondering this because before when u mentioned the scope u didnt mention that scope had variable power and I would have thought it would. That is what's up. I think unless I read wrong either way yeah u need power ring on rifle like that. Helps alot. I got a laser bore sighter as well to zero my scope that was extremely off right like 7 inches. A box of ammo is usually $18-22 and the laser sighter is a cool tool to have around and can get a decent one for $40. If u find ur going through ammo trying to get where u want to be on paper to begin calculations then I'd def reccomend the laser bore sighter. I love mine.

Edited by makinbones69, 02 August 2020 - 06:45 PM.

#99 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

My neighbor has the full-on spotter scope which measures barometric pressure, wind-speed, temperature.........all kinds of crazy metrics. We had planned to get that out on the range when we're sighting in all of the long-range treasures available. He has an M-1 Grand, the 6 BR......I have a 7mm and a Remington .22 Sportmaster long rifle......... and many other fun toys. I've pretty much got it all covered from rabbits to elk if necessary.

Now all I need is a salt gun for house-flies and I'm set. ;)

Keep in mind that I'm still new to this. So I may not always use the correct nomenclature and I'm open to learn and be corrected. No  hurt feelings - just an eagerness to learn.

#100 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:19 PM

If u took that with you and he knows how to use it youd probably be good. While the spotter scope wont help u bore sight your rifle so that you can begin your zero calculations it will definitely help u zero at 200 easy. I want one for this reason as well. I zero 100 now and use the ballistic x reticle to estimate shots at 150. I dont do much past 200y right now. Im learning alot about longer distance shooting at this time myself.

If that dude owns that equipment and stuff tho. He probably knows how to remove the bolt and visually bore sight at 25 yards to get on paper adjust ur windage and move back to 50y to begin elevation zero. Personally I'm not great at a bore sighting without a laser reference.and when u weigh the cost of ammo versus the cost of the laser. The laser was the best option for me. I'd go with that guy and see what's cooking it sounds as if u may not need a laser to me.
  • Myc likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!