325 replies to this topic

#101 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,671 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

Always wanted to learn to reload my own ammo but never got around to it.. most kits are out of my price range.. I would invested and learned if I had pursued my gun instructor degree but I didn't
  • makinbones69 likes this

#102 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,990 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:42 PM

I'll admit that it is a very expensive hobby. You need some precision measuring equipment which adds-up in a hurry..........etc. That in addition to the base expense for just the reloading equipment.

Shortcuts will result in:

Best case - a destroyed gun

Worst case - you lose a hand, maybe your face and eyes, - and your gun.

I"m really serious about this hobby and only watch videos by guys who lead-off with several safety videos before they begin discussing the project at hand. Safety and precision are of the utmost importance.

If my friend had not gifted me these materials - they would be well out of my practical reach. Sometimes it just pays to be nice and be a good neighbor.

• Mrs.Hippie3, Juthro and makinbones69 like this

#103 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:40 PM

My goal in two years is to put this scope.
https://vortexoptics...riflescope.html

On this rifle. 7mmx308 rem cal.
https://www.howausa....500-hogue-rifle

I may reconsider as I progress but right now that's my dream rifle and optic
  • Myc likes this

#104 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,078 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

He commented after one single magazine full of rounds that he should just give me the pistol since he could not achieve that same degree of accuracy. He quit shooting for the day after that. I wish I had reigned it in and threw a few off-target so he wouldn't feel so bad. I wasn't trying to insult him - just shooting.

Screw that!

A New Agey motivational poster is in order here:

5e0d0c84187a46c58338f23c8bb84c82.jpg

• Myc and makinbones69 like this

#105 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,990 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:36 PM

So.........

I just had an excellent day at the firing range.

All of the .38 ammo was spot-on. I was getting groups of less than 3 inches (6 shots per group) at......25 yards !!!  This is pretty damn good for a handgun. I was shooting rounds through a Smith and Wesson Model 10.

My little snub-nose was shooting groups of less than 5 inches at 10 yards. Still extremely impressive for such a short gun over that much distance.

Looks like I have pretty much got the hang of reloading .38 special rounds.

After sighting-in the 7MM Remington Magnum.......

I was shooting groups of less than 1 inch (4 shots per group) at............100 yards!!!  4 shots in a less than one inch group over 100 yards. Yeah man. That was pretty thrilling.

Wind on the range was steady and even throughout the session at about 10-15 mph average - blowing across the range from left to right - (no headwind, no tailwind).

I am straight fired-up to make some hand-loaded 7mm mag ammo. Can't wait to see if precision rounds improve on 1 inch grouping.

Shooting for 1/2" grouping doesn't seem like too far-fetched of a challenge.

I'll begin working on the BR 6 in the next few weeks and will build some ammo for that rifle as well.

This almost makes up for missing my birthday this year. One helluva party for sure. My neighbor was duly impressed since it has been almost 30 years since I've picked up a long-range rifle. Wishing you could all share in the thrilling feeling.

I guess I still got it after all this time.

Edited by Myc, 06 August 2020 - 06:02 PM.

• coorsmikey, Juthro and makinbones69 like this

#106 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:17 PM

Post a pic of a target man.
Me at 100y sighting a 7mm-08 weaver kaspa. 5 shot group as I was sighiting and the darkness comes. Normally I do 3s.
This weekend I'll prolly try to post one more nice pic working out to 150 or 175. Then we get a fb page ima disappear and hunt.
I take pics of my trophies.

Two bullets in 1/4 inch is what I'm saying. Look close next to yellow. Sounds good but need the targets man lol
68ba35f84a5a82cf478c295896fa2622.jpg2c95f964e28985c69449e43c4bb9aec6.jpg

Edited by makinbones69, 06 August 2020 - 09:27 PM.

• Myc likes this

#107 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,990 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:52 PM

I actually managed a good pic.

Screenshot_2020-08-06-20-31-48.jpg

The yellow circle was the first shot of the day at 25 yards.

The two shots circled in green were my efforts at adjusting the scope - still at 25 yards.

The shots in red were the first group at 100 yards after sighting in the scope.

I'm still a little south by southeast of the 'x' but it was my first day out in awhile. The wind was coming from the left of the photo so wind-age could be a factor. I was using factory ammo - nothing special.

I didn't continue to take photos as it was a hassle. It was hard to use my phone in broad daylight - switching from shaded safety glasses to reading glasses - and it was a public range so we couldn't really dally. My shoulder took a good beating and I'm a bit sore. LOL

And kudos to you for finally making me learn to upload photos. Since I've switched to Ubuntu, I could never figure it out. Well......problem solved. It has been a good day overall.

Edited by Myc, 07 August 2020 - 10:12 AM.

• roc and makinbones69 like this

#108 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:01 PM

Nice man! Good shooting too. Once u dialed it in u did very well in that 5 shot group near the X. Very nice.
I see now the 5 nice man!

Edited by makinbones69, 06 August 2020 - 10:02 PM.

#109 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,990 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:21 PM

Thank you for that. I will also add that I was resting at a bench on a sandbag. I was loading each cartridge by hand so as to manage the brass as it ejected. I didn't load the magazine.

The round target is the .38 special handgun rounds at 25 yards.

Screenshot_2020-08-06-21-07-31.jpg

Blue circle is the Unique powder @ 4.4 grains.

Yellow circle is the 2400 powder @9.5 grains.

The other shots are from my snub-nose using SR4756 powder @ 5.0 grains. The target was moved in to 10 yards for that spray. LOL I did manage to get one on the dot but it was luck.

The other red circle are mine from another rifle. I don't recall what it was but those shots were at 100 yards using custom-made ammo. I wasn't as good with his gun and was having trouble seeing through the scope - but still did OK.

Just so you don't think I'm telling fish stories. ;)

#110 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:42 PM

Well. 150 yards is just really hard to adjust for lol. Shit blew my mind. I'm gonna keep working and logging tho I was only out there 5 hours. So no awesome 150y .308 shots.
I did get this with a ancient sks39 with iron elevation sight at 50y. And 22mag rimfire lever action remington rifle. iron sight 50y.
Red is sks green 22. Nice shooting on the above myc so fun!!30a316beb4c19ea82c729ca603dfc1be.jpg79ae75df50fc5b1dc11294ead629cb52.jpg

#111 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:44 PM

Oh yeah I was aiming high at first and hit this steel fence post in a 3 group at the 50y. I wanted to show this as well another reason I love the 762x39mm round.
4df923071e839a00947232386915bb13.jpg33772fe5e0ff9da26e342b19397f1593.jpg

Edited by makinbones69, 10 August 2020 - 09:44 PM.

#112 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:46 PM

I'm always on a sandbag bro on all them shots. Fr. I couldn't do shit those distances in a pose. Not consistent at least I'd def drive 4 hard at 100 with the axis .308 tho lol
Those pistol groups at 25y and the 100y rifle group in blue also. I keep checking it out lol that's awesome. Very cool stuff. My 22mag is a old school lever action Winchester also I was thinking diff when I said rem. Them shots are awesome dude I'm glad ur posting that's wsup man!

Oh i mean to say also those shots that were high into that steel post while I was adjusting was alot of fukn luck fr we were like wtf. The target was me all the way once I got zoned except for the two side by side that's a little luck or is it. I get a few of those if so baha.

Edited by makinbones69, 10 August 2020 - 11:58 PM.

#113 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,990 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:39 AM

Looks like you're quite a good shot yourself. I think we would have a really good time at the firing range together.

I had to lay-off for a day or two. That magnum rifle gave me a chiropractic adjustment in my upper back and I've been "crunchy" and stiff ever since.

The scope on that Savage had a couple of issues so I took everything apart and re-mounted it over the weekend. I'll be wanting to sight it back in before hunting season approaches so as to beat all of the hunters. They tend to crowd the range just prior to hunting season with all of them sighting-in their rifles.

I have been prepping to hand-load ammunition and have been rounding up all the necessary parts. Went to the reloading supply yesterday ------ and holy crap were they wiped-out. I was blind lucky to come away with magnum rifle primers. Fortunately, I had everything else on hand - bullets, brass, powder, etc. I was hoping to pick up a pound of H4370 but they had sold the last one earlier in the day. They had plenty of bullets - but I'm already set as far as that goes.

I picked up a good Overall Cartridge Length gauge so I can determine the overall cartridge length for this rifle as well as bullet seating depth. Also picked up a comparator gauge for uniformity of bullet seating depth.

I'll be making some modified cases for each of the long-range rifles so we can really dial-in the metrics. The tap and drill won't be here until October so it's back to the waiting game for awhile. Hoping my upper back is better by then. LOL.

That other rifle I was shooting was a 260 Remington. Looking forward to building some rounds for that one for sure. It shoots a lot easier than the 7mm - less recoil and such.

I just loaded a bunch of 9mm pistol rounds over the weekend and am still having an absolute blast with this new machine. But after running out of small pistol primers, handgun loads are on hold until I can pick up a box of 1000 or so. I've got plenty of brass for my .38 special so I'll look around for some jacketed hollow-point bullets today.

#114 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:57 AM

I do ok. Sighting the .308s can be a bitch I've noticed. Letting the barrel cool down while making your zero is pretty significant with them. At least it is with mine. After 5 successive shots at 2 per minute I notice fliers.
The first 5 are usually crazy accurate tho. It's just after that I notice I have to let it cool back down

Edited by makinbones69, 11 August 2020 - 11:59 AM.

• Myc likes this

#115 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,990 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:51 PM

The trip to find reloading supplies was nearly a total bust. All I managed to find were some jacketed hollow-points for the .38 special.

If anyone should happen to know where I could source some small pistol primers it would be greatly appreciated and I would make it worth your time to "get them to me" - nudge, wink - since they can't be shipped. I'm looking for 1000 but would buy a case-lot of 5,000 or 10,000 if available.

We called around after striking-out with most of the retailers. I happened to notice a Hornady sales rep at one of the locations we visited. I stuck my hand out (figuratively) and he took a moment or two to discuss the current situation. It appears as though this is a manufacturing issue - not enough materials being manufactured to meet current demand. He told us that there is a dramatic price increase slated for all fire-arms related parts starting in November of this year - which tells us that manufacturing has the product available and they're just sitting on it to maximize value after the price increase.

It's the story of my life. One day late and one dollar short. Hoping this turns out just like the toilet paper rush and everything is back in stock soon.

• Juthro likes this

#116 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,119 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:33 PM

If you can get shotgun primers, you can oversize the primer pocket in a drill press.  I've seen guys do it with .38 spl cases to shoot wax bullets indoors for practice.  No powder charge, just the primer.   The question then is, can you still find shotgun primers.

Edited by Juthro, 11 August 2020 - 06:34 PM.

• Myc likes this

#117 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:13 PM

I do ok. Sighting the .308s can be a bitch I've noticed. Letting the barrel cool down while making your zero is pretty significant with them. At least it is with mine. After 5 successive shots at 2 per minute I notice fliers.
The first 5 are usually crazy accurate tho. It's just after that I notice I have to let it cool back down

Super serious shooters know this as the "cold barrel zero"  The idea being exactly as you've described - you make your first shot count with the best possible trigger discipline you can muster.

Super Super serious riflemen even clean the barrel between shots, and while letting the barrel cool,  in anticipation of the day the first shot they fire out of that gun may be the only one that matters

Some think that hot barrels with bullet and powder deposits in the lands and grooves get "greasy" and don't grip the bullets as consistently as a clean barrel - ergo inconsistent flights out of the barrel.

Un-jacketed lead bullets have a reputation for gumming up barrels, think of most 22LR ammunition - just lead going down the barrel. Soft, hot, lead. What could possibly go wrong? :)

#118 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,990 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

The only primers I could find on the shelf were large rifle magnum primers - or - they had a few boxes of CCI #35's for .50 caliber rounds.

I picked up a box each of the regular and match grade primers for the magnum rifle. I figure a couple of hundred will be plenty since I don't go plinking cans with that big of a gun. I just want to build a few types of hand-loads to see what the barrel likes best. (Even though factory ammo performs very well.)

I've been getting myself educated on loading rifle rounds by watching Sam over at Panhandle Precision on y-tube. He has some very competent videos and even has a good one on rifle cleaning - when, how, and why. Step-by-step the reasoning for cleaning or not cleaning a rifle are discussed in detail. One thing I found interesting is that he will put 300 rounds through a tube before he even considers cleaning. I think the 7mm has only had 40 rounds through the tube so it will be awhile before I clean (if ever).

As for the cold barrel for zeroing - I think I agree with what has been said. In a hunting scenario, you will likely only get one shot off for the whole day - through a cold barrel. Best to zero-in under the same conditions. I only put 12 rounds through the tube and was at the range for around 2 1/2 hours. Really taking my time between rounds.

#119 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:11 PM

You always want to use a cold barrel or at least one that has cooled back down to ambient temperature to zero a rifle. Especially in a hunting situation.

I was just mentioning that heat is a significant factor if you found your shots changed up significantly with your .308. Heavier barrels can shoot many more rounds before noticing this.

I mentioned it in case you encountered it because cold barrels matter for some rifles and not really at all with others.

I generally take different rifles and a pistola with me to work distances with my .308 I find it's easier to let the barrel cool while shooting my others. It's much more fun than waiting and drinking.

Edited by makinbones69, 12 August 2020 - 01:15 PM.

• Myc likes this

#120 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

. It's much more fun than waiting and drinking.

just one mans' opinion :)

though it's very rare that I marry the two

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!