#1 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 649 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:05 PM

Hey Guys,

Here is my new Gorilla Tent, with a HEPA Filter Air Intake port and a fan blowing air out the top.

IMG_20200713_111401.jpg  IMG_20200713_111347.jpg

I've got 6 bins so far. Here is how I have them setup! 

IMG_20200713_111757 (1).jpg  

They are two 14 Liter bins stacked on top of eachother. The substrate is coco coir, straw, gypsum, and coffee grounds 2-3" thick.

IMG_20200713_111423.jpg

I am also pumping pure oxygen into them through a daisy chain'd hose system. I drilled around 6 FAE holes in the lower bins at substrate surface level and covered them with 3-4 layers of Paper Tape. The idea is that the since O2 is lighter than CO2 that the Carbon Dioxide will flow out the holes.

I leave the oxygen on for about 1 minute or less; and have to refill it for $21 every time.

IMG_20200713_111337.jpg  IMG_20200713_111431.jpg

Here you can see a couple fully colonized Bulk Sub.

IMG_20200713_112818.jpg IMG_20200713_112826.jpg

Unfortunately two of them got Trich, which I caught before it turned green (mostly). Probably because I used 1 layer of paper tape to seal the two bins together, as I wanted to see if my clean room was really that clean. (Turns out it's not, but at least I tried) I swiftly burned it out of reckless hatred, and scooped it out with a spoon. I then dunked the bulk sub for 6 hours, because it seemed a little dry. I then will flame the contaminated spot again, and spray it with Hydrogen Peroxide. Hopefully this will save it.

IMG_20200713_112108.jpg

I got a bin of Hawaiians to fruit without any dunking but it didn't fruit very much at all and produced extremely large mushrooms. I was able to pull about 1 Oz Dry. Temps 75F

107742641_2119562928187267_2753476980976324728_n.jpg  107711163_781483109260942_5797168386789481744_n.jpg

A couple notes.

It sure is taking a while for the bulk subs to start fruiting, as you can see the bins are labeled  "Spawned on June 25th"; and It's now July 14th, they are fully colonized but there are still no pins. I think I am going to dunk the bins for a few hours to hopefully stimulate some growth.

Do you think my substrate is too thick? Should I leave the O2 on for longer? Should I have more/larger CO2 out-flow holes? 

I've learned so much from you guys over the years. Figured I would update on my progress, and see if you had any more suggestions.

Thanks again. 

Edited by Saphroziac, 13 July 2020 - 03:14 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:37 PM

You may want to review your pasteurization process... Properly pasteurized substrate should be awfully resistant to contamination... a sterile fruiting room is not typically necessary. I know people who poke holes with no tape and no polyfill in their grow bags once the substrate is fully colonized. Air flows unabated through the holes and despite having direct contact with the substrate, there is typically no increase in contamination... I suspect that your substrate was not adequately pasteurized or that there was a live contaminate in your spawn jar...

• onediadem and Saphroziac like this

#3 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 649 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:43 PM

I usually mix CocoCoir, Straw, Gypsum, and Coffee Grounds into a large Turkey Ovenbag (Filled to near capacity) and then PC at 15 PSI for 90 Minutes. 

#4 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

Wow Saphroziac, that set up is going to be crazy once you get it dialed in, you're already producing some huge specimens!
  • Saphroziac likes this

#5 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 649 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

I am going to start pasteurizing, then I wouldn't have to buy those stupid oven bags and the sub will be more contamination resistant.

#6 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

Man, I smoke alot of bud and cigarettes around my fc's and it's never brought about contamination. The grow tent would be great for species other then cubensis that are more figity about their f.a.e but if it's just the p.cubes then its overkill really. They're the most resilient of all species.

I'm one of the guys that just pokes holes in seran wrap and that's adequate enough f.a.e for cubes that is.

#7 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 649 posts

Donator

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:22 PM

The reason I have the grow tent is because we have 3 pets, 2 large Bernese Mountain Dogs, and 1 cat, additionally the only available room is a guest room which has carpet, all these factors produce/collect a lot of dust.  So these factors make it difficult to produce FAE without exposing them to a significant amount of contaminants.

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,084 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:36 PM

Nice tent man.....I'm an automation freak.......bought a PLC and other toys, Raspberry Pi 4 and a host of sensors.....

I will have an environmental control chamber/tent with all of my edibles before it's done.......

I'd love to build a block fruiting house for nothing but mushrooms.....

A

#9 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,253 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:57 PM

I am going to start pasteurizing, then I wouldn't have to buy those stupid oven bags and the sub will be more contamination resistant.

Look into one of these..

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• PJammer24 likes this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:17 PM

I would say this to anyone using coffee grounds but you should stop using coffee grounds.... lol! Especially in a situation where there will be higher contamination risk, like in your case where the house is difficult to keep clean due to pets, I would not use coffee grounds... coffee will make your substrate much more likely to contaminate and if you are already fighting an uphill battle, I would really think about taking it out... It works, sure, but the contamination risk is not worth any perceived gain...

• Saphroziac likes this

#11 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,253 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:40 AM

Coffee grounds are really the suck because they contaminate super fast like Pj said. I use 1/8 tsp instant in my grain prep per qt tho and pc. That gives what I believe you are looking for.

• PJammer24 likes this

#12 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 649 posts

Donator

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:24 AM

Thank you. I dunked a bulk sub to try and trigger fruiting, and it seems the bottom was not colonized at all; it disintegrated and muddied up the water. How could this be if it has been colonizing for nearly two weeks? Could that be a bacterial contamination? or could it have been too wet?

Edited by Saphroziac, 14 July 2020 - 02:25 AM.

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:45 AM

Thank you. I dunked a bulk sub to try and trigger fruiting, and it seems the bottom was not colonized at all; it disintegrated and muddied up the water. How could this be if it has been colonizing for nearly two weeks? Could that be a bacterial contamination? or could it have been too wet?

It could have been too wet... field capacity should produce only two or three drops of water when a handful is squeezed...

Bacterial contamination is just as likely if not more so... If it was too wet, it may have led to bacterial issues... Bacteria will flourish in wet, warm, anaerobic environments... If it was too wet, the bottom of the substrate meets these conditions....

So the answer to your question is that it was likely too wet and bacterial

• Saphroziac likes this

#14 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:47 AM

Coffee grounds are really the suck because they contaminate super fast like Pj said. I use 1/8 tsp instant in my grain prep per qt tho and pc. That gives what I believe you are looking for.

I almost added this to my previous post... If you add the coffee in your spawn, it fully colonizes before being exposed to potential contams.

Using a higher spawn ration should also give you the extra bang for your buck you are trying to get by using coffee. Using more spawn will also lead to faster colonization which will help you win the race against competitors.

Edited by PJammer24, 14 July 2020 - 08:48 AM.

• Saphroziac likes this

#15 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 649 posts

Donator

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:03 PM

Since bacteria and too wet seems to be the case. I find it difficult to measure a coco coir to water ratio. My bricks come in unmarked boxes of 24. What is a good CoCo Coir/water ratio to achieve field capacity? Or do I just need to get more precise when considering 3 drops when squeezed.

#16 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

After pasteurization, I let my substrate drain overnight or for approximately 12 hours... You are going to have a hard time simply adding the right amount of water. If you are pasteurizing on the stove in a pot of water, hang the bag you pasteurized in from a hook over night... If you are pasteurizing in the oven or some other method, you are going to have a harder time accomplishing field capacity... Pasteurizing in a porous pillowcase or in a mesh bag like what you would use for laundry and then hanging it overnight will give you better results... After the draining period, squeeze a handful and see how many droplets come out. Approximately 2-3 drops should come out if you are at field capacity which is what you are looking for.

#17 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 649 posts

Donator

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

I was going to follow Hyph's suggestions. https://mycotopia.ne...ing-a-pictoral/

• PJammer24 likes this

#18 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

I almost added this to my previous post... If you add the coffee in your spawn, it fully colonizes before being exposed to potential contams.

Using a higher spawn ration should also give you the extra bang for your buck you are trying to get by using coffee. Using more spawn will also lead to faster colonization which will help you win the race against competitors.

Just a few questions regarding your preferred method pjammer, if you will.

1.Do you prefer to soak your grain in brewed coffee? Or simply mix spent coffee grounds to your grain?

2.do you make a sort of "super cake" with other additives like manure/verm?

3.when adding coffee, will it give better or more flushes?

#19 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:08 AM

I'm guilty of once upon a time shouting the wonderful benefits of coffee.

What I know

If you make the decision to use coffee in with your substrates then fine, using diluted coffee in your grain/verm soak water will not spike contamination as long as the jars are properly sealed, filtered and sterilized.

However, using coffee grounds in your bulk substrate can cause contamination to raise due to several factors but the primary reason is the coffee grounds people collect do not come from a commercial coffee machine like those at Starbucks or Tim hortons. The water needs to be at a certain temperature for the grounds to be leeched properly.

Home coffee perculators (most) leave a ton of brewable coffee left in the grounds making them extremely rich and therefore invite contaminates.

I've explained this before because of the guilt I have echoing Rr's coffee craze without knowing the info I just reposted and alot of people f'ing up their grows using improperly leeched grounds.

Although I and others have had plenty of success with just using the grounds out of our home perculator there was also projects that got run by the green quicker then anything.... but the success rate was around 75% which isn't to to bad but still not the 100% its ment to be.

So nowadays I dont even use coffee grounds, just straight coir and I get amazing flushes (when it's not that triple washed heat treated garbage I made the mistake of buying)

Oh, and this whole coffee thing was started by a rumor from a well known shroomery member RR who boosted that in proven isolates caffeine was seen as a stimulant to a fungi culture and so the isolates he used aparently grew faster then one another.

He also claimed the akloid content of the psilocybin was heightened or strengthened when using coffee.

Now that I've stopped using coffee I can honestly say there isnt much of a difference in potency, potency comes from genetics or at what I believe nitrogen content. But I've been right and wrong before so who knows....

Edited by FunG, 17 July 2020 - 10:13 AM.

• Saphroziac likes this

#20 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:50 AM

Just a few questions regarding your preferred method pjammer, if you will.

1.Do you prefer to soak your grain in brewed coffee? Or simply mix spent coffee grounds to your grain?

2.do you make a sort of "super cake" with other additives like manure/verm?

3.when adding coffee, will it give better or more flushes?

Hey DaBlue!

I prefer to not use coffee at all... I have not seen a benefit that justifies the increased risk of contamination. 

Typically, I would suggest a mixture of manure/verm/coir...  You can get great results with many different ratios of each...a substrate mix of  2:2:1     manure:coir:verm   will work just fine but if you have more manure or more coir or more verm it will still work great with minimal impact on the results.... Just make sure it is well pasteurized...

Most of my friends would suggest steering clear of coffee all together. Any perceived benefit does not out weight the increased risk of contamination... You are not going to supercharge your grow by adding coffee or any other additive... Its all in the genetics! Just give it a comfy and nutritious place to grow and fruit, then let 'Er rip!!

If you want to get more out of your grows, start trying to find prolific genetics through cloning.... There is some evidence that tryptophan is converted to psilocybin during the fruiting process so adding that may increase potency but evidence is anecdotal.... 

What you really want to do is give them a nice. spongy, nutritious substrate with no bells and whistles... Then give them the conditions they grow best in and you will have excellent results... You aren't going to add coffee or some other additive and all of a sudden have some type of super charged substrate that out performs everything else... It is all in the genetics... We are just providing an environment for those genetics to do their thing!

• Saphroziac, ElPirana and RainbowCatepillar like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!