#63 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2022 - 06:01 PM

I have to say that seeing FAUX news, and many of the GOP's prominent mouth pieces respond to the J6 hearings reminds me of a quote.

"When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent. " 

Issac Asimov

• TVCasualty, Skywatcher and FunnyFarmer like this

#64 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,081 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2022 - 01:59 PM

I have to say that seeing FAUX news, and many of the GOP's prominent mouth pieces respond to the J6 hearings reminds me of a quote.

"When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent. " 

Issac Asimov

Some advice for how to deal with it:

Act like a dumbshit and they'll treat you as an equal -J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

• Juthro likes this

#65 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2022 - 02:32 PM

Nice one TV :) If I could, I would give you two likes for that, lol.

I had forgot about good old "Bob" and the Book Of SubGenius.  It does seem to have some relevance in the current political climate though :)

• TVCasualty likes this

#66 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2022 - 01:13 PM

The J6 hearings have thankfully shown me that not all republicans are traitors.  There seem to have been a handful that didn't tow the line of  what is likely the largest, and most organized attempt to overthrow the US government in it's history.

I wonder how many, if any of the disillusioned rump fanatics are going to listen to, and accept the facts that there was no widespread voter fraud, and that the great tangerine is nothing more then a con man.  I've heard so many fantasies claimed about how he won the election.  I've even heard some of them here on the 'topia from people I once thought had some measure of cognitive function.  But then again I've heard some pretty ridiculous fantasies here about COVID as well, about it's origins, and it's treatments (ivermectin anyone?).  Ironically (or maybe not) these two issues often seem to infect the same people.

I don't give a shit if anyone likes rump or not, that's their choice, but if you truly think he won the election, and you support the crowd that tried to overthrow our government then you truly possess no critical thinking skills, and you are a traitor to your country.  These are the same type of people that get sucked in by narcissists psychos like Jim Jones.  I don't know if I should feel sorry for them, or despise them.  I think I feel a bit of both to be honest.

How do you reconcile with former friends that have conspired to destroy the foundation of your very way of life?  I would love to know the answer if anybody has it, because I have been unable to achieve this, and I dont see any signs of it happening anytime soon.

#67 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 03:16 PM

This stuff is not taught in our high schools

The Socratic Method: A Practitioner’s Handbook by Ward Farnsworth

https://www.amazon.c...ooks,172&sr=1-1

critical thinking

https://www.amazon.c...ef=nb_sb_noss_1

instead we have a culture that promotes stupidity, profit, appearances, aggression and so on...

Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History Kurt Andersen

as global warming sets in

and China and Russia also become more aggressive,

along with inflation

the stage is set for further deterioration

Edited by shiftingshadows, 13 June 2022 - 03:24 PM.

#68 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 03:22 PM

How do you reconcile with former friends that have conspired to destroy the foundation of your very way of life?  I would love to know the answer if anybody has it, because I have been unable to achieve this, and I dont see any signs of it happening anytime soon.

I guess the answer must be similar to: How does one relate to someone who was formerly sane and is now nuts, or (more commonly these days) was normal but now has Alzheimer's Disease or dementia?

#69 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2022 - 08:45 PM

I guess the answer must be similar to: How does one relate to someone who was formerly sane and is now nuts, or (more commonly these days) was normal but now has Alzheimer's Disease or dementia?

Yeah, I don't think that will work for me.  My mother is suffering from the early stages of dementia. My love for her is enough to accept what is is, and I will accept what is to come.   I do not have that the same level of love for people that encouraged or supported the circumventing of our election system. 

I self rationalize it as these people had me fooled as to who they really were, and what values they truly believe in.   Make America great again my ass, these people actively supported the destruction of our government.   It's pretty clear to everyone where I stand about rump, but I don't begrudge anyone's right to have voted for him, no matter how misguided I think that choice was, but when he looses a fair election you don't get to call yourselves patriots as you try to overthrow the elected government.  Those that took that route, and those that supported them are not patriots at all, they are traitors to the country they say they stand for.  I support them all being held fully accountable for their actions, though I'm not going to hold my breath.

It wasn't difficult to see that rump, and his cronies had nothing but lies, anyone with an ounce of rational thinking skills should have been able to see past their sham.  So to forgive is divine, but I'm 100% human, and I'm a long ways from being ready to forgive, or forget.  I'm not saying that it can never happen, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

#70 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 12:59 PM

I agree with you about 'rump'. I think the followers are fools, so I carry no anger.

Because I don't encounter any of his followers I don't feel betrayed, by them.

You seem to have, (from my point of view) burdened yourself with anger, in regards to fools.

And in the case of your mother ,of course love, is a pleasant emotion.

If however emotion is left out of the equation in both cases, it seems we are dealing with people,

whose abilities and choices are so limited as to perhaps be non-existent.

Perhaps, it might be said that, in a sense, we 'betray' ourselves, by having too high expectations

of others. It seems a sentiment of this sort was expressed in

"the meditations of the emperor marcus aurelius antoninus"

"Begin the morning by saying to thyself, I shall meet with the busy-body,

the ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, unsocial. All these

things happen to them by reason of their ignorance of what is good

and evil. But I who have seen the nature of the good that it is beautiful,

and of the bad that it is ugly, and the nature of him who does wrong,

that it is akin to me, not only of the same blood or seed, but that

it participates in the same intelligence and the same portion of the

divinity, I can neither be injured by any of them, for no one can

fix on me what is ugly, nor can I be angry with my kinsman, nor hate

him, For we are made for co-operation, like feet, like hands, like

eyelids, like the rows of the upper and lower teeth. To act against

one another then is contrary to nature; and it is acting against one

another to be vexed and to turn away. 

Whatever this is that I am, it is a little flesh and breath, and the

ruling part. Throw away thy books; no longer distract thyself: it

is not allowed; but as if thou wast now dying, despise the flesh;

it is blood and bones and a network, a contexture of nerves, veins,

and arteries. See the breath also, what kind of a thing it is, air,

and not always the same, but every moment sent out and again sucked

in. The third then is the ruling part: consider thus: Thou art an

old man; no longer let this be a slave, no longer be pulled by the

strings like a puppet to unsocial movements, no longer either be dissatisfied

with thy present lot, or shrink from the future." ...

• Juthro likes this

#71 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2022 - 12:52 PM

You are likely correct about me being burdened by my anger, and that I also likely have too high of expectations for others.   Admittedly these are some of my fatal flaws.   Some things I see so clearly as fundamentally right or wrong that I truly have a hard time understanding how others can not see what is in front of them.

Drawing hard lines in the sand can make it difficult to function in society, and I have tended to set lines my entire life.  I strive for black and white in a world of grey.   That is probably one of the reasons I've checked out for the most part, and live a very secluded and privet life at the end of the road to nowhere.  It's far easier for apathy to set in when you remove social interaction, and apathy doesn't send my blood pressure through the roof.

#72 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 11:23 PM

there's this

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 9.45.18 PM.png

and then my granddaughter sent me this

[Direct Link]

• Juthro likes this

#73 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 11:05 AM

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 10.04.52 AM.png

• Juthro likes this

#74 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2022 - 09:46 PM

Ain't that the truth brother, ain't that the absolute truth....    It makes me sad, and angry all at the same time.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!