5 replies to this topic

#1 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:46 PM

In reading about P. Caerulescens it mentions it grows "on disturbed ground often devoid of herbaceous plants. It often grows in sunny locations, preferring muddy orangish brown soils with much woody debris"

Just from those two lines, it is a wood lover (soft wood?), likes lots of light, lots of water, heavy sub and high iron/ mineral content?

Here are two jars, unfortunately the same culture was not used so it is not a true comparison. That being said, it took the jar on the left with no wood added 2 weeks longer than the one on the right w/a Tbl of hard wood fuel block added to the sub. For the record, the jar w/oak added to it (not pictured) is taking a long time and looks unhappy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200714_142951-1.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,084 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:42 PM

See what that stuff does on Naturescapes mulch........I do believe you are correct sir....soft woody.......splains the reaction to oak too.....

A

• PJammer24 and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

Thank you Arathu, I'm going to have to p/up some Naturescapes, see how it does. Should I use it as the entire sub + supplement?

#4 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:59 PM

Caerulescens takes to hardwood sawdust quite aggressively. I have a 5lb bag sitting around that I plan to mix with a mixed chip/compost substrate and fruit outdoors in a hoop-house style planter box/greenhouse.

Edited by DonShadow, 16 July 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#5 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

Thank you for the reply Don. So you are approaching these as pure wood lovers? Have you had luck with this approach before? An outdoor hoop/greenhouse grow would be incredible! Please take pics.

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,084 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

Thank you Arathu, I'm going to have to p/up some Naturescapes, see how it does. Should I use it as the entire sub + supplement?

Outside the mulches can basically be used right out of the bag for the most part (carries risk though). Indoors and in bags various mixtures of mulch and sawdust + supplement like bran.

I like to add potting soils or garden compost too at times....regardless anything enriched has to be sterilized but outside can be pasteurized and even straight from the bag.

Although the latter can be risky and I've been burned by mulch that is already carrying another fungus........it definitely pays to be thorough and consistent IME.

A

• p2p and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!