#1 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:42 PM

always have a back up PC seal, just incase. Nothing like prepping 5 lbs of grain just to have your pressure cooker leak. Damn seal is as hard as plastic, although it has lasted over 7 years so i got my moneys worth. Unfortunately, no store near me has one, so i gotta order online.

question: how long will prepped grain stay in the fridge before it starts growing? (can't say i have ever been in this position)

• Arathu, Microbe, 2Ape2 and 1 other like this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:39 PM

Put a nice thick coating of some cooking oil it and fire that bad boy up again! That is of coarse if its not broke. Seriously though you can pull the gasket out cover in oil, let it soak in real good then put another coating on it. Slide it back in so it looks even and give it another whirl.

• PJammer24, stmhunter, Juthro and 4 others like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:18 PM

Damn that sucks, Wharf.  I like Mikey's idea, and I would try that first.

I'm just pulling ideas' out of my ass here, but I wonder if in a real pinch if you could use some form-a-gasket #2, its what they use on oil pans, and valve cover gaskets that you want to be able to disassemble again.  It's more of a sealant then an adhesive.

I would not use the form-a-gasket #1 though, as it's dries hard, and is designed for permanent assembly.   Again, this is just a random THC induced idea, and I have never tried it, but I have a feeling you could make it work if you had to.

Good luck to you brother, I hope you get it handled

(EDIT: syntax repair)

Edited by Juthro, 15 July 2020 - 06:20 PM.

• wharfrat and YoshiTrainer like this

#4 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,549 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:44 PM

Put a nice thick coating of some cooking oil it and fire that bad boy up again! That is of coarse if its not broke. Seriously though you can pull the gasket out cover in oil, let it soak in real good then put another coating on it. Slide it back in so it looks even and give it another whirl.

Seals and grease go hand in hand. When we have a orifice changer that won't seal properly what do you do! add a shot of grease and work the gate back and forth until it holds the pressure back. It would be the equivalent of around 80ish psi depending on the amount of natural gas behind it. But that's another story

A greased o ring in a hand pump will always hold pressure better. The lack of moisture is bad for o rings. That seal on a pressure cooker is different but i assume its the same principle. They get old and dry out, some lube seems to restore them a bit

• Juthro, wharfrat and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:52 PM

i always oil it, this time no help, it is just too hard. ace hardware ordered me one in, will get it tmro, so i think my seed will be fine in an ice cold fridge

• coorsmikey, Juthro, flashingrooster and 1 other like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,618 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:18 PM

i always oil it, this time no help, it is just too hard.

That's what she said :) 

• mushit, Arathu, wharfrat and 2 others like this

#7 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 475 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:53 PM

Mine’s been leaking when I first start running the PC, but it stops by the time the pressure is rising. I’m gonna try coating it in oil tomorrow. Great suggestion!
  • wharfrat and flashingrooster like this

#8 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,549 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:13 PM

So I take it inoculating that grain I accidentally let sprout overnight was not a good idea? ah farts

• wharfrat likes this

#9 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

i ordered a seal, it came in and it's the wrong one, the closest one is a week away from walmart, amazon is 2 weeks out and presto is out of stock. GRRRRR!  none of the stores around me have a 16qrt or larger pressure cookers in stock, i did find a 23qrt at fred meyers for $100, guess that is the only route i can go unless i wanna wait a week, i'm pretty sure my grain wont last that long. Good thing grain is cheap, pressure cookers, not so much. 

• flashingrooster and YoshiTrainer like this

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

If you found a 23 qt your are doing better than most right now looking for new cookers. It's amazing to see how much we rely on China when our flow of cheap shit gets cut off.

• wharfrat likes this

#11 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:55 PM

If you found a 23 qt your are doing better than most right now looking for new cookers. It's amazing to see how much we rely on China when our flow of cheap shit gets cut off.

thats why of all places, my local ma n pops ACE had both 16 and 23 quart prestos on the shelf, 89 $ 99 .. ahh, love the smell of a new pressure cooker full of milo  :biggrin:

the 23qrt wont fit under my above oven mircowave, 16 fits perfect and the hold the same amount of quart jars.. $89 plus return of my seal and a % dollar rewards, i was out the door $90

this one has a gage, which my old one did not, so thats a plus. Oh and the new one don't spin around in circles on the glass top stove like the old one either. lol.. was i tiny bit warped

• flashingrooster and YoshiTrainer like this

#12 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:59 PM

I’m glad to hear that you’re not sterile personally and we’re able to get a new baby so you can be sterile lol. Congrats on the the new cooker! Well deserved IMO!
  • wharfrat likes this

#13 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

I’m glad to hear that you’re not sterile personally and we’re able to get a new baby so you can be sterile lol. Congrats on the the new cooker! Well deserved IMO!

oh i'm sterile alright! well, at least my hands are. gotta sterilize before and after going into a store  :biggrin:  why i'm so glad ace had it instead of freddies, that place is a fkn zoo, did not want to venture into that store, just as bad as walmart.

• Juthro likes this

#14 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:21 AM

Hmm, so I should be applying oil to my gasket for a better seal?

What kind of oil?

I've heard about oiling up old PC gaskets to help hold the seal once the gasket was on it's way out but never thought to practice oiling the gasket during every use.

Strange how something so close together in relativity with each other seemed like two different practices/reasons to me.

But yea, what kind of oil, just regular cooking oil?
  • wharfrat likes this

#15 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,549 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:58 PM

I swear if you read the manual its in there! but I am just working off my shit memory

I snagged this from pressure cooker tips.com.

How to restore a Gasket?

Restoration on the gasket is still possible if it has simply started running out, yet if the gasket has splits, replacement of the gasket is necessary.

Get a hold of the gasket in one location and carry it down in the direction of the center of the cover to launch it from its place. Laundry the gasket with soap as well as water. Rinse off the gasket as well as air-dry it for a few minutes.

Very finely layer the gasket with vegetable oil to recover it from moisture loss. Wipe off any kind of excess oil. Put the gasket back into the cover for storage space or for use. Affix it securely into the groove of the lid ensuring that it is appropriately positioned.

As the gasket (rubber or silicone) grows older, it might become completely dry or weak. Soak it in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes before using it. Nevertheless, this is not a permanent option. You require to replace it immediately.

Oh and by the way I checked my manual and it did not mention this trick, my guess is it may not be 100 percent fool proof and someone could sue them if it didn't work

Edited by flashingrooster, 17 July 2020 - 03:00 PM.

• wharfrat and FunG like this

#16 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:04 PM

i use whatever (cooking) oil i have on hand, i think i read somewhere mineral oil. just stay away from petro oils, they will make it swell and not fit anymore.

• flashingrooster and FunG like this

#17 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:28 PM

QUESTION ? Could you have not have frozen your prepped grain tell you got a gasket ? just curious ?

• wharfrat likes this

#18 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,094 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:06 AM

always have a back up PC seal

Truth right there.....when you buy one make sure to get two......

A

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#19 p2p

p2p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:03 PM

QUESTION ? Could you have not have frozen your prepped grain tell you got a gasket ? just curious ?

Freezing the grain may cause the kernels to explode as the water inside expands.

• wharfrat and bezevo like this

#20 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,235 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:31 AM

Depending how bad the leak is, I would consider just adding more water than usual and running it... I have one right now that could use a new gasket but have been running it with extra water so that it does not run dry...

• wharfrat likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!