#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,613 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

Depending how bad the leak is, I would consider just adding more water than usual and running it... I have one right now that could use a new gasket but have been running it with extra water so that it does not run dry...

Are you one of these guys who asks his mechanic how much longer your bad breaks are going to last....?

The answer, BTW, is they will make it all the way to the scene of the accident.

IMHO, gaskets are cheap, if its bad fix it.  But that's one of the reasons I run an All American canner.  No gaskets to go bad.

Edited by Juthro, 20 July 2020 - 03:18 PM.

• coorsmikey, Arathu and wharfrat like this

#22 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,228 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

Depending how bad the leak is, I would consider just adding more water than usual and running it... I have one right now that could use a new gasket but have been running it with extra water so that it does not run dry...

Are you one of these guys who asks him mechanic how much longer your bad breaks are going to last....?

IMHO, gaskets are cheap, if its bad fix it.  But that's one of the reasons I run an All American canner.  No gaskets to go bad.

I replace my gaskets but in this case, when he was ready to roll prior to realizing there was a leak, I would consider running them while I wait for the gasket if I thought I could make it through the run without the water running dry.

edit: I prefer the All American units also but the stove I have right now does not have the head space to run them. The microwave sits too close to the range.

Edited by PJammer24, 20 July 2020 - 01:46 PM.

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#23 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:54 PM

i bought two All American PC No Gasket Needed .

yes there $ $ Pricey ...but  i found mine at thrift/junk stores .. to make sure they were safe i bought a few parts direct from AA .

I   paid  $11 + tax for a 15 qrt,  and $20  for 18 qrt. AA  then about $30 in parts .  so i  got about $70 into them with parts and tax retail they would be about  $460  for the two AA s i have  .  .

Thrifty ..........no gasket needed . 

I  am trying to keep  Mycology out of kitchen to  Facilitate Domestic Harmony . so i set up a Substrate  / spawn work area in corner of basement .

A cpl big folding tables , i have two big commercial quality  electric hot plates to run AA  PCs and two big Electric Turkey Roasters to do oven tek turkey bag pasteurization .  ...... i  Bought a bunch bottles of big cinnamon stick bark sticks on clearance marked down to  .50 cents a bottle at  a Dollar store . i throw 1/4 stick in water in bottom of Roasters or PC to mask grain and poo odors .SMELLS LIKE COOKIES  heh.

Edited by bezevo, 20 July 2020 - 01:58 PM.

• Arathu, PJammer24 and wharfrat like this

#24 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,613 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

Are you one of these guys who asks him mechanic how much longer your bad breaks are going to last....?

I replace my gaskets but in this case, when he was ready to roll prior to realizing there was a leak, I would consider running them while I wait for the gasket if I thought I could make it through the run without the water running dry.

edit: I prefer the All American units also but the stove I have right now does not have the head space to run them. The microwave sits too close to the range.

I agree that if I didn't have a replacement on hand, and it only had a minor steam leak, I would likely do the same thing.  Add more water, and watch it closely.  But that is also a good reason to order two gaskets, and then replace them as you use them, so that you've always got a back up.  The supply chain doesn't seem to be as reliable as it once was, IMO.  I think that attitude might make me a prepper, lol.

And for what it's worth, AA also makes short PC's (15 qt IIRC), they will do the same number of quarts jars (7) , but can only fit one layer of pint jars (8),  but like all things pressure canner right now, you have to find one before you can buy one.

Edited by Juthro, 20 July 2020 - 02:30 PM.

• Arathu, PJammer24, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#25 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:11 PM

yes AA would be nice and in the long run would save money, problem is having that kind of money to spend on a PC.

I had been babying my last presto, finding if you squeeze the lid down real tight, you can get it to stop leaking. I could only get away with that for so long. Mine leaked and would not build pressure

so cooking grain is basically just boiling grain if no pressure build up, no matter how much water i have in it. Plus it leaks all over the stove.

• Arathu and Juthro like this

#26 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,613 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:01 PM

I hear you, AA's have always been costly.  You are hard pressed to even find one for sale now, and if you do, be prepared for some serious sticker shock.  IF you can find a new one for sale, the prices have been jacked 2 to 3 times what they were 10 months ago.

I seen a new AA 921 for sale on EBay today, and they were asking a little over $575 (including shipping).  That's just f'ing crazy.

• Arathu and wharfrat like this

#27 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,072 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:06 PM

Not to mention that a blowout of a sealing gasket AT pressure could be extremely dangerous (and minimally damn sure not promote domestic tranquility at all)..... :biggrin:

Please be careful everyone.....

A

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#28 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:19 PM

I've kept prepped grain in the fridge for several weeks.

#29 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 461 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:48 PM

Mine’s been leaking when I first start running the PC, but it stops by the time the pressure is rising. I’m gonna try coating it in oil tomorrow. Great suggestion!

Just received the new gasket, can’t wait to try it out!

CF373C9D-2020-4478-AEAD-42EE2E7D3154.jpeg
  • flashingrooster likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!