Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What exactly is LC made of, and can it easily be made at home?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Redrock35

Redrock35

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:26 AM

Most products that I purchase I imagine that I could do more with less $$$. Now that I've decided to start using LC for my spore propagation, I need to know what LC made of, and can it easily be made at home? How long does a batch last once propagation, and at what temperature? Thank you

#2 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:58 AM

This is a easy one

A liquid culture can be made up of any kind of sugar or complex carbohydrate (pasta water, potato water runoff) but the most preferred and used LC nutrient median is dextrose (powdered corn sugar) although the syrup can be used to I do not encourage its use since it caramelizes easier leaving thick sediment.

For a ultra clear LC powdered corn sugar for the win otherwise known as dextrose. You can buy it at bulk food outlets by the lc and it doesnt take much to start a lc with it.

But what you should get before anything is some of those self healing lids with breathable filter port....Lcs contaminate easily when using homemade lids.
  • PJammer24 and Redrock35 like this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,235 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:41 AM

You can have good results with karo or other corn syrup if that is what you  have easier access to...  You solution should be 2-4% sugars and you will want to PC at 15psi for 30 min. A more robust nutrient source does not help you out in this endeavor...  I use distilled water... I have used homemade lids in the past, with a syringe as an airport... I have also used just a typical polyfil lid and ended up with good results but if you have your lid game on point, ie. self healing. etc...., you will have more successes!

• Redrock35 likes this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,263 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

Liquid culture is basically any agar recipe with the agar powder omitted.

• PJammer24 and Redrock35 like this

#5 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

Liquid culture is basically any agar recipe with the agar powder omitted.

Yes indeed.

The easiest way for me to make agar or LC is to use the left over water I used to boil my brown rice in. Thus I make agar and LC whenever I am making grain jars.

The broth water on its own is put into jars and nothing is added. You will need to have special jar lids for LC. The LC can either be pressure cooked for 15 minutes or double boiled for 90 minutes to steralize it.

Edited by Moonless, 23 July 2020 - 02:42 PM.

• Redrock35 likes this

#6 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,425 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

Water and dextrose with a dextrose ratio of 3% to 5% by weight assuming 1ml of water weighs 1 gram which can very from source to source. If you want to get techmical you can weigh the volume of water.

Edited by Microbe, 23 July 2020 - 04:42 PM.

• Redrock35 likes this

#7 Redrock35

Redrock35

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

Thanks FunG, I was able to find dextrose easily by the pound, 4 pound and 10 pound, I'm pretty sure I won't ever need 10 pounds, but the price is about the same. How much is too much?  It's the same stuff they use in alcohol production it seems, I'm not looking for another hobby though.

PJammer24, I'll be sure to keep my solution between 2% & 4%. When you make yours, do you have a mixture ratio that follow in ounces and/or grams? I recently acquired some 19mm/10mm round air filter vents 0.22 Micron with 3M backing, and will be sure to pick up some reusable self healing injection ports.

That is very interesting Moonless, I have yet to make my own brown rice grain jars, though I'm itchin to try once I have enough LC on hand that trial and error doesn't place me any closer to the poorhouse. I'd be interested in how that works if ever you had the time. I have a good pressure cooker, so that wont be a problem.

I'll have to find a good ratio to create my own LC, so thank you Microbe, those weights for water will come in handy.

I received a premade kit today so I'd have a better idea of what it all looks like and now feel very confident that I can replicate the process. Especially being that the kit is reusable, just add dextrose.

Can anyone tell me, I would be very interested in knowing how long a LC can be viable and in what environment does it thrive the longest?

#8 p2p

p2p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 06:55 PM

I have LC at room temperature for 2-3 months. But I have to stir it every day.

In a fridge you can keep it for 3-5 months.

• Redrock35 likes this

#9 Redrock35

Redrock35

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

Thanks p2p, will I need to stir it if it's in a fridge?

#10 p2p

p2p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:50 PM

Thanks p2p, will I need to stir it if it's in a fridge?

No stirring required when LC is in the fridge, because it goes dormant. Just keep in mind that you have to place it back at room temperature at least 3-5 days before you need to use it, so it becomes active again.

• Redrock35 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!