Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Recipes, Salty Coco Cior, feed grade grains and brown rice?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Redrock35

Redrock35

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:57 AM

Is high salt content in coco coir bricks bad for making casing. Do I need food grade grains, or will feed grade work as well? I need to figure out the good products and a good recipe for making both great substrate and a great casing. I've been buying all of these premade and it about time to refocus creating my own. Any tips and or recipes shared would be greatly appreciated. I've picked up some great instructions here already,so I wanted to thank those that have given their valuable time to share in this incredible hobby of theirs with me. I look forward diving deeper and being able use 100% raw materials from start to flush.

#2 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,238 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

Salt is not good for Myc.

Feed grade is fine as long as it has not been treated with fungicide for example.

• Redrock35 likes this

#3 Redrock35

Redrock35

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

Salt is not good for Myc.

Feed grade is fine as long as it has not been treated with fungicide for example.

That's good to know, what type of grains works best?

#4 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

Rye works fine for cubes. I add 15% volume grass seed to it. Grass seed is not a must have. I'm having trouble getting the cake out of the jar when I don't use them. But one thing is certain: Cubes and Pans love grass seed.
From the pressure cooking most of them remain on top. But the cake is going out of the jar much better even under those conditions.

I sometimes fill growbags with brown rice flour and vermiculite. I add 20 to 50 gram cooked whole grain wheat to the mixture and I add double of its volume perlite. Thorough pc is needed with growbags and jars of course.

I mill my own BRF when I need some. With very dark brown rice sometimes it doesn't go through the mill very well. In that case I mix it before it goes through the mill with 20% white rice.

Fresh BRF leads to better growth and when you fill a growbag with it a smell like almond emerges from it until it is colonized.

With these two recipes I have grown a lot, I always added a little CaCo3 to my substrate.

Edited by Alpoehi, 31 July 2020 - 03:18 PM.

• Redrock35 likes this

#5 Redrock35

Redrock35

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:47 AM

Rye works fine for cubes. I add 15% volume grass seed to it. Grass seed is not a must have. I'm having trouble getting the cake out of the jar when I don't use them. But one thing is certain: Cubes and Pans love grass seed.
From the pressure cooking most of them remain on top. But the cake is going out of the jar much better even under those conditions.

I sometimes fill growbags with brown rice flour and vermiculite. I add 20 to 50 gram cooked whole grain wheat to the mixture and I add double of its volume perlite. Thorough pc is needed with growbags and jars of course.

I mill my own BRF when I need some. With very dark brown rice sometimes it doesn't go through the mill very well. In that case I mix it before it goes through the mill with 20% white rice.

Fresh BRF leads to better growth and when you fill a growbag with it a smell like almond emerges from it until it is colonized.

With these two recipes I have grown a lot, I always added a little CaCo3 to my substrate.

Wow, what a wealth of information!That is going to come in very handy, I'll have more time tomorrow to let this sink in and get some of this ordered... talk more soon.
  • Alpoehi likes this

#6 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:01 AM

I'm glad this helps. I grow in cakes only, for tubs you can find a wealth of information in the archieves. But for spawning tubs you best start off with rye.
  • Redrock35 likes this

#7 Redrock35

Redrock35

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

I'm glad this helps. I grow in cakes only, for tubs you can find a wealth of information in the archieves. But for spawning tubs you best start off with rye.

Most grass seed I seen has a coating, I currently have a 50lb bag of grass seed, and the coating is green.
Calcium carbonate is lime, right? I see that people also use Calcium sulfate dihydrate(gypsum) as well, should both be used, or is it one or the other? I sort of understand that CaCo3 changes the pH where as gypsum improves soil aeration and infiltration. I looked for a connection, but I didn't find anything indicating that they couldn't be used in unison. Would it be a good idea to obtain a pH test kit to keep the pH range around 6.0 to 6.5 or is the ideal pH different for mycelium growth?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!