• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:23 PM

I took the plunge back into the vinyl thing a couple of months ago and have to say the rich full sound can't be beat after all these years.

Anybody else spinning those turntables out there?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200803_161731971.jpg

• onediadem, Juthro and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:45 PM

I was just touring a building for a job and the guys house was jam packed with records... I was not in a position to inquire too much but it was incredible... He is definitely a bit of a hoarder, but seeing shelf after shelf jam packed with vinyl was pretty F'n sweet!!

• roc and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:45 PM

I still have boxes of vinyl but haven't run the turntable in at least a decade. Probably needs a new belt? A friend years ago had a DJ "Coffin" with dual turntables, mixer, etc. It was more than I wouldve needed personally but he was able to transfer a few of my records to digital. Nothing quite like the sound of vinyl, except maybe live?
  • roc and PJammer24 like this

#4 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,177 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:07 PM

Don't bet on the belts being bad. Just cranked up my system after 25 years in the basement and the table works fine

Either my hearing has deteriorated or the digital stuff I listen to is at or near the same quality as the old analog stuff. Which is a good thing????

Anyway, you'll get some weird looks good and bad at your next party full of old and young people when you break out the vinyl :)

#5 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:47 PM

I turned some records on my parents hand cranked Victrola when I saw them last lol does that count ?
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#6 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:22 PM

Who stopped? I have a bunch of first press vinyls still sealed from the 60's and 70's. Just cannot beat the sound.

• roc, PJammer24 and YoshiTrainer like this

#7 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:01 PM

The price of vinyl is insane these days. There was  a golden time when most commercial albums from 60's to 80's were like 50 cents to a few bucks.

I always seem to miss reprints of stuff I didn't collect. Live is where it's at.

Edited by rockyfungus, 03 August 2020 - 09:02 PM.

#8 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,177 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:23 PM

check out sugarmegs

best of both worlds - live recordings in digital format, downloadable for free!

• roc likes this

#9 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

My dad has a ton of records and a couple turntables but he never plays them
  • onediadem and roc like this

#10 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:00 PM

check out sugarmegs

best of both worlds - live recordings in digital format, downloadable for free!

Doesn't seem to be public anymore. Similar to archive.org? Seems like it'd be The Dead.

#11 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

Who stopped? I have a bunch of first press vinyls still sealed from the 60's and 70's. Just cannot beat the sound.

LOL!

I just took a LONG pause and the sound is rich!

I'm not into selling but collecting.

Go checkout what some of your sealed vinyls are worth over at https://www.discogs.com/ just for kicks.

• onediadem likes this

#12 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:44 PM

I have a few that I bought right as they were getting ready to reprint. Worth a pretty penny now.

The band got sued by a label with the same name, and reprints/cds/tapes were printed with the old name of the band.

Probably won't sell, and I guess I haven't spun it in 10+ years. I tend to use spotify as I'm lazy and like full albums but don't want to switch multiple sides.

• roc likes this

#13 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,802 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:27 PM

Ya unfortunately for the price it's hip to listen to records again. Not sure I am sold on the sound difference but I haven't had the time to really sit and compare. Lot's of people say the sound is better so there has to be something there. I would love to see a blind listening test to find out if people can accurately identify when the song being played is on vinyl.

There has been a big push from the music industry to revert to records. I don't know anyone that has a record burner do you?

#14 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

Record burners are kinda standard on new turntables. A lot have a USB port or something. Screw that considering a bad ass audio technica from whenever is amazing and dirt cheap.

Vinyl has a warmth that is hard to describe, but honestly my ears can't tell the difference between a good lossless recording, there was a brief period of time with Super Audio CDs and DVD-audio. Those things blew vinyl out of the water because they were typically mixed in 5.1

• roc, coorsmikey and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#15 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:52 PM

Slightly related, audio cassettes, besides being able to make mix tapes from vinyls , they were more portable and a major improvement over 8 track. I had a friend that followed The Dead, well, mostly Jerry. He was one of the guys with the shotgun mics near the stage at shows. He had cases of live Dead, JGB and a few of Jerry w/other artists. We always had great music while we were burning!

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 04 August 2020 - 02:52 PM.

• roc likes this

#16 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:43 PM

Good old days of tapers. Love me some Dead and Phish. Nowadays, people stream from shows!

Phish is streaming concerts every Tuesday from the archive. Tonight is a rather famous show, Gamehendge.

• coorsmikey and YoshiTrainer like this

#17 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,802 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

Record burners are kinda standard on new turntables. A lot have a USB port or something. Screw that considering a bad ass audio technica from whenever is amazing and dirt cheap.

Vinyl has a warmth that is hard to describe, but honestly my ears can't tell the difference between a good lossless recording, there was a brief period of time with Super Audio CDs and DVD-audio. Those things blew vinyl out of the water because they were typically mixed in 5.1

Well sounds like you do know some people haha. I suppose a better choice of words would be a record press? or whatever the hell you use to actually make vinyl record

#18 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

Oh misunderstood you, I doubt it would be hard to copy a printed record.

Edited by rockyfungus, 05 August 2020 - 04:35 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!