• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:17 AM

I'm working on my 3rd attempt at growing Albino A+ spores using the PF tek and then transferring to Monotub with Coco Coir substrate. Right now, I have 10 jars that have been incubating about 3 weeks at 70-80 degrees and they are all at different colonization points: 1 jar has been fully colonized for a few days, 4 about 3/4, 1 about 1/2, 2 just started, and 1: 0! There's no sign of contamination. What do I do with these babies? My instructions say I need 6-7 jars per fruiting chamber.

Any advice for me?

#2 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:24 AM

From my experience using cakes as spawn always sucked, I did unproven tests using ms but the results were on average with the final yield whether it was cakes fruited as cakes or cakes spawned to a substrate. They still produced the same final weight or close to it.

Something is wrong with the jars that have no active mycelium and maybe something is up with the ones with slower growth....or it could be that you didnt sparse out the spore solution evenly enough.

Cakes have a low spawn ratio something like 1:2 so per each 250ml cake you could spawn to 500ml coco coir but finally shredded you could go higher just dont expect amazing results like I previously mentioned.
  • Robinsparrow likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,333 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:54 AM

If you intend to use these jars as spawn rather than fruiting directly from the cake, here is what I would do...

I would take the jars that appear to be fully colonized, I would give them an extra week to make sure the interior has colonized since often it is the last section to do so...

After waiting that week, I would put the fully colonized jars in the fridge until the others have caught up. Putting them in the fridge will stall growth while the others finish colonizing. When the last jar has colonized, you can pull the others out of the fridge and use them...

With your coco coir... You don't need to pasteurize as thoroughly because there is limited additional nutrients in the coir. I would just do a bucket tek or use a cooler to pasteurize with boiling water...

1. Put coir in a pillow case that is porous, like jersey knit... I use mesh laundry bags that you can pick up at Wallyworld for under $3.

2. Put the bag of a coir in a bucket or cooler.

3. Pour boiling water over the bag of coir.

4. Cover the cooler or bucket so the heat is retained as long as possible.

5. Let the bag of coir sit in the water until cooled.

6. Pour off the water and hang the bag to let it drain. I let mine drain 10-12 hours, usually over night.

7. After draining, the coir should be at field capacity and ready to mix with your spawn.

• Boebs and Robinsparrow like this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,333 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:27 AM

From my experience using cakes as spawn always sucked, I did unproven tests using ms but the results were on average with the final yield whether it was cakes fruited as cakes or cakes spawned to a substrate. They still produced the same final weight or close to it.

Something is wrong with the jars that have no active mycelium and maybe something is up with the ones with slower growth....or it could be that you didnt sparse out the spore solution evenly enough.

Cakes have a low spawn ratio something like 1:2 so per each 250ml cake you could spawn to 500ml coco coir but finally shredded you could go higher just dont expect amazing results like I previously mentioned.

The reason one jar colonizes more quickly than another from MS is typically genetic. You could put a million spores in one jar and two spores in another and if those two spores result in more aggressive genetics, it will colonize more quickly... The odds of getting aggressive genetics may be increased with more spores but is certainly not a given.

PF tek is notorious for slow colonization. 3 weeks is not long enough for me to start suspecting something is wrong as you have suggested.

• Robinsparrow likes this

#5 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:18 PM

Thanks so much for the explicit instructions, PJammer24! This was exactly what I needed.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!