• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

These jars colonized pretty quick and more evenly pretty quick. Like not at acute points through out but all over at once. And  they're now showing a few green spots. This is the second time this happened using the same spore syringe. I tossed the last set of jars out and tried again thinking I fucked up somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it's the syringe now.

I shook them once and the air in the jar filled with a white cloud of I assume spores. Have not been able to find info on the white cloud aspect.

This is my first contam. I guess I'm just asking for confirmation on type of contam (trichodermaand to hear thoughts on how to proceed. Mason jars seem to be scarce at the moment because the only ones I can find are insanely over priced. 

Thanks everyone!

IMG_1279.jpg IMG_1280.jpg

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:55 PM

If it's green, it's likely trichoderma.

Your best bet is to find new spore syringes, and/or clean up that syringe via agar work.

If you still have trouble w/ new syringes, you may have a large trich spore load in your workspace.
  • adrian118 likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,333 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:59 PM

If a cloud of white spores filled the jar, it is not trich... I am not familiar with a contam with white spores off the top of my head but it is not trichoderma...

From the looks of it, the uncolonized sections of grain up against the jar, you may have some bacterial issues going on in there...

if it was me, I would sterilize the jar, dump out its contents, and give it another go... This jar is no good....

edit: I just re read your post and if there are green spots also, you probably have a soup that includes a couple different types of nasties in there...

Edited by PJammer24, 04 August 2020 - 01:01 PM.

• HrVanker and adrian118 like this

#4 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:14 PM

Yea, the cloud was very weird to me especially after being unable to find any info on that on the web. Really hoping someone chimes in on that part.

Only a couple of jars are showing green but ALL of them become cloudy if shaken... Im going to PC them for now.

Thank you!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!