• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Noob3

Noob3

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

Hello I have a 64 quart tub (dark, I cut a hole at the top of it for light and used packing
tape to make a window) drilled with 5 holes on bottom and 5 holes on top long ways, and 3 on top 3 on bottom short ways, the holes drilled are about pencil width and 3-4 in spaced for each other....now questions....too many holes? Are they big enough? Pack the polyfil tight or loose?

Substrate laying around I have these ingredients.

Half a brick of coco coir
Bag of sphagnum peat moss
Bag of vermiculite
Also a bag of pro mix
I have a pressure cooker and Mason jars
I have tape and micro pore tape

Help me out I got 10 jars of APE An PE incoulated properly with SHIP and polyfil

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,303 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:55 AM

Welcome to Topia Noob3..........

Have you ever grown a mushroom before?

A

• Mycol likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:42 AM

Hello I have a 64 quart tub (dark, I cut a hole at the top of it for light and used packing
tape to make a window) drilled with 5 holes on bottom and 5 holes on top long ways, and 3 on top 3 on bottom short ways, the holes drilled are about pencil width and 3-4 in spaced for each other....now questions....too many holes? Are they big enough? Pack the polyfil tight or loose?

Substrate laying around I have these ingredients.

Half a brick of coco coir
Bag of sphagnum peat moss
Bag of vermiculite
Also a bag of pro mix
I have a pressure cooker and Mason jars
I have tape and micro pore tape

Help me out I got 10 jars of APE An PE incoulated properly with SHIP and polyfil

It can be done, but just fyi, I have found that smaller tubs are a little more forgiving than really big ones... You also do not lose as much hard work if it goes bad... I have gone to all bags so if one bag happens to go bad, I can just toss it and not feel like I have lost much... It is harder to keep the humidity up in larger tubs which makes keeping conditions ideal more difficult.

I would exclude the peat moss... Old school growers worked with peat a lot more than the new school folks... Peat is a little acidic and I would not try to use it without addressing PH... Not only do you not have any PH adjusting or buffering raw materials on hand, it is also just a pain and adds more steps to the process... Unless there is a different mix with something like coir, I am relatively certain that promix is primarily peat also... The PH of promix is under 6 and straight peat is even lower... You want a neutral PH for cubes... Ideally, you start with a substrate with PH around 7 and then buffer it with gypsum so it stays at that PH level longer while your substrate is being broken down by the myc... The lower your substrate PH, the higher your chances of contamination. Many of the most common contaminates thrive in higher acidity...

If possible, I would go get more coir... Substrate mixes can be pretty forgiving so I wouldn't worry yourself too much about the ratios. I eyeball everything... If it were me, I would aim for about 2:1 coir to vermiculite for your substrate mix... You could use a little more coir and a little less verm if you want, but as I said, its pretty forgiving.

I would them mix my spawn and substrate at a 1:1 ratio... This is what I do so it will colonize quickly. You can use a higher ratio of substrate if you prefer, many do, this is just what I prefer to do. If you mixed 2:1 or even 3:1 substrate to spawn, you should be perfectly fine...

I have no experience using peat, what I know is from reading threads, but you would have to balance the PH prior to giving it a go... I think you are better off getting some more coir than trying to balance PH and use peat...

You should provide some FAE to your tub... Either put holes in the tub and fill them with polyfill or cover them with micropore tape... I like to put a couple holes at substrate level so CO2 can flow out of the tub as it sinks...

• headcase1 likes this

#4 Noob3

Noob3

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:21 PM

I do have plaster of Paris

#5 Noob3

Noob3

Mycophiliac

• Free Member