5 replies to this topic

#1 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:41 PM

I start this thread in hopes that someone can give me a little insight from their own experience. I have recently been dealing with two instances of psychosis triggered by prolonged ketamine use.

I have a friend, who for some time has been unsettled and a little manic. After a 500 ug L experience, he had what appeared to be a break from reality. I wrote it off and assumed that in 12hours +/- he would recenter. It has now been weeks and he has become more bizarre. We have been playing with kittens a lot as of late and that certainly plays a role...  He is forming false memories that he is so confident in that he will argue and say that I am lying. He has accused me of lying about my brother by saying that he is older than me when he is not... (I never said this and there is no reason for me to tell this lie) He has also been obsessing over my sister's sexuality (she may be gay but so what.... I just let Liz be Liz), and last night he was flipping out saying that I have been hiding the fact that my brother is bisexual... My brother is not bisexual, he is in a serious relationship, but even if he was bisexual so what... right??

Well my friend will tell you that it is not about all these "truths" it is about how I am trying to cover them up or lie about them. It is bizarre and not based in this reality... No one is hiding anything... I dont care about my siblings sexuality, I just let them be them and never really think about it... No only are his assumptions regarding my siblings most likely false, his obsession with the "facts" surrounding the discussion is very disturbing...

I think he has had a break from reality that will not heal. He believes things to be irrefutable facts that are not true and uses these things as evidence... An example of this is that he is accusing me of saying that i have an older brother. He says that I have told him about my older brother for years when, in fact, he is two years younger.... My brother really has his shit together, has his masters degree, has been successful, and made a nice little life for himself... I think my friend has some how associated my bro having his shit together with him being the older brother.... idk... As I mentioned, he also thinks that I have been lying to cover up that my brother is bisexual...

I love my brother and sister... Their sexual identifies are their business, not mine, and I  accept whatever they choose to share... I don't know if my sister is gay and I am certain that my brother is not bisexual, not that it matters....  I'm just losing it trying to wrap my mind around how my friend is seeing things... I don't want to cut someone loose after being friends with them for 20 years but he is seriously losing touch with reality...

insights are welcomed.

#2 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:50 AM

That's bizarre. Other than their belief they're right about everything is there anything else different? I'd go see a physician. Could be an underlying cause not found yet.

Hope he is okay man.

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:28 PM

LSD in particular is known to manifest previously undiagnosed schizophrenia. This may be what's happening, but it would really take a professional assessment to know for sure.

It might've been inevitable, but the LSD just triggered it a bit sooner than it otherwise would have appeared. That still might be the case even if he's tripped on LSD in the past without any problems.

It's always hard to say for sure when it comes to unusual brain/mind stuff since the human brain is the most complex object we know of in the Universe.

• roc and PJammer24 like this

#4 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,051 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:51 PM

I've encountered delusional thinking quite a lot in my life. A brother of mine recently had episodes of paranoid delusional thinking... Another older brother, earlier in my life had prolonged periods of angry violent paranoid psychoses. That brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia. When the brother closest to my age recently had his episodes of delusional thinking at first I cried because I felt that another tragedy had happened. 

I think it's a bit too quick and too much to jump to conclusions of any permanent dysfunction. I once spent a week or more thinking that God was speaking to me and that shamans could jump out of walls and pull me into the ether... almost quit my job and dropped out of my masters program... almost bought a plane ticket to leave... 

I'd say wait and see. Both my brothers were able to cope eventually. It took years for the older one to find his way to medication that could keep him functional and down to earth... it was definitely hell before though. As for the other, he quit his job, took a vacation (going into debt), and he seemed to bounce back for the most part. His "delusional" thinking has seemed to spiral into spiritual and psychological matters which I'm glad for. It hasn't disappeared. 

I've also got an uncle that continually hears voices, paralyzed from the waist down after he jumped off a roof in a particular psychosis. The voices tell him that reality is a computer system, a movie, or a video game system. The voices are sometimes evil... you know, usual schizophrenia stuff. He's actually fine. Well, paralyzed from the waist down... you know, not fine. But, he's doing well. I don't think any life is wasted. No life needs to be perfect... and they are all imperfect anyway. Love can be felt and expressed despite the "evil" voices whispering that the world isn't real into your ears, despite all the pain... 

As for the delusions... I tend to just go with them or not make a big deal out of them. 

Edited by Guy1298, 24 August 2020 - 10:01 PM.

• PJammer24 and Wimzers like this

#5 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

I think I may have be biased just because of prior family history. Brain tumor caused psychosis initially in cousin. Would have led to increased dysfunction with more time as the tumor grew.

#6 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:00 PM

I am sure we have all experienced our own or others episodes, if it isnt a more permanent affliction. I have a history in my family as well and have had my own issues mostly during the "meth period". There are still occasional thoughts i can't help but think arent mine. He or they may just be extra stressed during this period and its effecting their mental heath. Sometimes it is best just to brush some things off but it can be tiring as well. Odd that he is having issues with their sexuality and may be his own issues coming through? Who knows? Its actually amazing or scary or both what people can make themselves believe. Best you can do is just be there for them in whatever way they might need. Good luck.
  • PJammer24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!