• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:32 PM

Keep an eye on Belarus tomorrow. Should be interesting.

That is all. For now.

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:41 PM

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

• TVCasualty likes this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2020 - 09:11 AM

From Forbes today: Russia Just Got The Green Light To Invade Belarus

A week after winning an election that the opposition, observers and much of the Belarusian population decried as rigged, Alexander Lukashenko, Belarus’s leader since the collapse of the Soviet Union, invited Russia to intervene to preserve Lukashenko’s regime.

But it’s unclear what Putin will do.

In the aftermath of the apparently fraudulent election, opposition candidate Svetlana Tikhanovskaya fled to Lithuania for her own safety and seemingly millions of Belarusians took to the streets to demand that Lukashenko to step down.

A brutal police response has done little to stem the public protests. Now Lukashenko wants Putin to save him. On Saturday, Lukashenko and the Kremlin reached an agreement for a potential Russian intervention. “We agreed that at the first request there will be comprehensive assistance provided to ensure the security of the Republic of Belarus,” Lukashenko stated.

According to the Washington, D.C.-based Institute for the Study of War, on Saturday night Belarusian state media edited its reporting on Lukashenko’s statement, asserting that Lukashenko would only invite Russian forces into Belarus “in the event of external military threats.”

That’s cold comfort. “Lukashenko will likely increasingly frame the protests as foreign-backed to legitimize calling for a Russian intervention and in a continuing effort to separate protest leaders from the mass of the Belarusian people,” ISW explained.

“Now Putin has a choice,” Julie Ioffe, a Russia expert, wrote at The Washington Post. “Does he repeat his 2014 maneuver—letting Lukashenko flee while gobbling up Belarus, risking a backlash from the West—or does he allow the situation to play out and modulate his interference? The fate of Belarus depends on what he decides.”

A potential Russian takeover of Belarus has been a long time coming, and would follow just six years on the heels of Moscow’s annexation of Ukraine’s strategic Crimean Peninsula—and 12 years after Russia invaded the tiny Republic of Georgia on the pretext of “peacekeeping.”

“The Kremlin has a strategic interest in consolidating control over Belarus and ensuring the long-term alignment of its government and its people with Russia,” ISW explained in a May 2019 briefing.

The current protest of Lukashenko’s authoritarian rule is exactly the scenario the Kremlin feared. In Ukraine, pro-democracy protests followed by sweeping regime-change preceded Russia’s invasion of Crimea and its subsequent support of separatists in Ukraine’s eastern Donbass region.

Russia’s designs on Belarus aren’t only about Belarus. “The Kremlin also intends to expand its military basing in Belarus to expand its threat to the borders of Ukraine and NATO,”according to ISW.

So in case it's not obvious what's been going on in the region and why it matters to the rest of the world, Putin has been slowly putting the USSR back together. This is going to be a very important week in that regard, with the strikes called for tomorrow possibly bringing Belarus to a tipping point that could see things begin to get better or explode and get much, MUCH worse.

• onediadem likes this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:48 AM

A different take on how to respond to state aggression (in heels no less!):

1597421032-6120.jpg?0.7258770217743664

1597421030-8586.jpg?0.3270232348754867

"I am getting confused... She is making me feel funny... What do I do?!?"

It's probably the most effective way to get them to reconsider their choice of career and join the opposition that I've ever seen, lol.

And it seems to be working to some extent as there have been a steadily-increasing number of videos being posted of police and soldiers in Belarus trashing or burning their uniforms in solidarity with the protesters.

Image source: https://www.unian.in...o-11113106.html

Also, the news and images coming from last week's protests there of extreme brutality and torture are a grim warning of what happens when state violence against peaceful protesters is tolerated and allowed to continue (the violence only escalates). It used to happen here too, and we'd best not ever let it get to that point again.

• Sidestreet, Jrotten and liferider like this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

Putin has now poisoned Navalny, the Russian opposition leader.

Putin's dispensing with any subtlety or attempt to hide what's going on beyond half-assed denials is concerning since it means he feels confident enough to murder people who are very popular in Russia with impunity. Here's to hoping that along with Belarus (and China, and Thailand, and everywhere else that authoritarian shitheels are flexing their oppression) Russia starts catching fire, too. In a metaphorical, good kind of way. Or in a literal, better-than-nothing kind of way if a metaphorical fire proves insufficient.

#6 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,228 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:19 AM

I've been watching Belarus too.  Fascinating and tragic!  When you look at the globe, something new and different...and big.. is happening.  Belarus seems like one of the focal points of this, along with Nigeria...social revolution that appears to be marinating.  Does anyone else see a social revolution perhaps taking place globally, when you step back and look?

Also, as this second wave engulfs Europe, one of Europe's best examples of handling corona well, Germany, is now having its worst spike in new cases.  If we are all descending into what looks like Covid's second and historically worst part of this virus, with the US election pending and protests against violence blazing all over the world, I wonder more and more about this being more than just racism, and even bigger than police brutality, more than all of that, more like... Is this a social revolution? that is happening right now?.. and where might it be headed?

Edited by riseabovethought, 24 October 2020 - 10:40 AM.

#7 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:51 PM

Well this may be stretching the limits of the thread title considering it's a country, but it feels like a worthy inclusion due to the subject matter. This helps to understand what is going on over there

Nope it's not the SARS you are thinking of

[Direct Link]

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 28 October 2020 - 01:52 PM.

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:08 AM

Russia might get really interesting in about an hour or so.

• Boebs likes this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2021 - 02:50 PM

The revolution will not be choreographed!

Timing is everything, lol.

The convoy appears around 1:46.

[Direct Link]

Edited by TVCasualty, 02 February 2021 - 02:51 PM.

#10 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:08 PM

I am expecting to see a lot of action coming up in regards to lock downs. As the clock ticks on things don't seem to be getting much better. People are getting tired of being told how to live their lives, it's the era of protest. For some people they literally have nothing better to do. And then there is the whole assassination attempt story in Russia unfolding

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 02 February 2021 - 06:10 PM.

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2021 - 11:29 AM

I neglected to add India to this thread back when the ongoing farmer protests began. It's a pretty big deal and getting wider attention now thanks to social media.

If we had colonies on the Moon, Mars, and Titan then I probably would have had to start a "Worlds on Fire" thread by now [sigh...].

So for the good of the Universe, Earth's semi-domesticated bipedal apes must NEVER be allowed to colonize space!

• Myc and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#12 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2021 - 05:43 PM

I was watching some of those crazy mofo's driving tractors around when they stormed that red keep or whatever it was called. They even shot a guy off his tractor due to what looked like him driving it around like a maniac getting close to hitting people. It has been pretty wild to watch

[Direct Link]

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 03 February 2021 - 05:44 PM.

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:15 AM

The symbolism embodied in the Red Fort site cannot be overstated; overrunning it was a very big deal.

There appears to be a massive Hindu nationalist campaign to oppose these protests and vilify anyone thought or known to support them (including Great Thunberg after she tweeted about it). Judging by the stridency and volume of the response, the protests are really freaking them out.

#14 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{{{ + }}}}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 1,047 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:43 PM

Crickets.

Where is the Topia intelligentsia??

Failure.

Sincerely glad Jimmy Carter is able to live to see he isn't the worst president in US history!  But sad for everyone else!

Bottoms up.

#15 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:22 PM

...the worst president in US history! 

Who is, Woodrow Wilson, Alex?

• TVCasualty likes this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2021 - 09:07 AM

Crickets.

Where is the Topia intelligentsia??

Failure.

Sincerely glad Jimmy Carter is able to live to see he isn't the worst president in US history!  But sad for everyone else!

Bottoms up.

Well to be fair, there are too many countries on fire at the moment to meaningfully address. And then there's the worrisome fact that so many countries are literally on fire at the moment.

I guess there should be an all-encompassing "World on Fire" thread now to cover all the bases. But I'm not into making one since pointing out the obvious can be depressing and won't actually help anything.

And Carter? That's an odd choice for worst President ever in a world where Wilson (and Jackson, among others) existed. I bet history is going to treat Carter a lot better than many seem to expect. I'm a little curious why some people seem to have such reflexive antipathy towards him; is it because Reagan said so, or what?

• shiftingshadows likes this

#17 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:31 AM

"I'm a little curious why some people seem to have such reflexive antipathy towards him; is it because Reagan said so, or what?"

Why is Carter picked on in particular?, - of course I don't know, but we could make some good guesses.

He appeared weak.

He lost to a movie star.

He was different in some ways from the 'norm'.

People often resent other people whose kindness, 'throws into relief' their own selfishness.

And unfortunately many people harbor hatred, and 'need' scapegoats, to attempt to make it appear that the fault is not their own.

And of course most both forget, or didn't investigate, or were never taught in grade school, that the early presidents were slave holders.  And that many later ones compromised, with the South for decades on the issue of slavery.

Most don't want to know how really unpleasant much of US history, policy, law, and actions have been, and are. It takes a strong stomach, immunity to depression, willingness to do research, curiosity, and time, to discover truths that go counter, to the popular narrative, that most don't want to know or discuss.

Edited by shiftingshadows, 19 August 2021 - 11:44 AM.

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,707 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:15 PM

Carter was demonized because has was smart and a man of the People.

He resisted signing-off on policies which would have been detrimental to the common man.

Reagan was so popular because he (basically) signed anything placed in front of him. And his acting experience made him the perfect man for reading the script.

From there, subsequent presidents have worked to further erode the middle class. Fast-forward to today - and we're getting a glimmer of the end game. ;)

(My opinions)

• Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER and shiftingshadows like this

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, how is the whole trickle down economics thing working out for the middle class and the poor.... ?

Personally I would take Carter over any of the crap that we've been forced to live with since his time....

But like Myc said, that's just personal opinion,  and I wanna be like Myc :)

• Myc and shiftingshadows like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!