6 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:03 AM

Hey heads

I've been getting a TON of enjoyment lately singing from the bottom of my lungs on my way too and from work;

Mostly Tool, APC, Puscifer, some system of a down, Mars volta

But Maynard Keenan's range = my own more or less

Plus I love the harmonies/melodies/complexity/simplicity

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations of prog rock/metal vocalists with a similar range/flavor I should add to my repertoire;

I love MJK, but can only sing his stuff so often before I want something new in my life.

• Salty117 likes this

#2 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:28 PM

Update to this: I'm unlocking the actual screaming. Been playing system of a down on repeat. Any suggestions in this vein?

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,665 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:43 PM

I'm partial to old-school Ministry for heavy moods. I don't really know how Jourgensen's vocal range or abilities measure up but it's pretty scream or roar-worthy music IMO.

There was a rather odd band from Ireland called The Fatmia Mansions (they were around from the late-80s to the mid-90's) that you might find vocally and lyrically interesting if you're not already familiar.

#4 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,898 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:50 PM

Corey Taylor from slipknot comes to mind, the singer from sevendust has quite a range as well. John Davis from Korn is a really good singer too, that voice is like an instrument all its own.

And Trent Reznor

Edited by flashingrooster, 31 August 2020 - 06:55 PM.

#5 goldenteacher1163

goldenteacher1163

myco guru

• Free Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 11:48 AM

It’s not really prog metal but, throw on some Amon Amarth (Johan Hegg- Vocals. Definitely worth a listen.

#6 Salty117

Salty117

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 325 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:39 AM

Matt Heafy from Trivium has a wonderful range if you're looking for a mix of melodic and heavier vocals. Their Crusade album is pretty reminiscent of early Metallica but they really develop their own tone going forward, especially in their Silence in the Snow album which is just *Chef's Kiss* so good from start to finish. Same with their 'The Sin and the Sentence' album, they got a new drummer pretty much each album leading up to that one but they've retained him since then and his style just fits the way the band has morphed leading up to the creation of that album and their following album 'What the Dead Men Say'

Edited by Salty117, 31 July 2021 - 09:21 AM.

#7 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,362 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:14 PM

Take these before bedtime and call me in the morning; report any side-effects:

Haken - Invasion

[Direct Link]

Leprous - The Price

[Direct Link]

Gojira - Born In Winter

[Direct Link]

Persefone - Prison Skin

[Direct Link]

SOEN - Antagonist

[Direct Link]

Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovzRpdxRj0Q

Edited by darci, 21 August 2021 - 10:28 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!