• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Enigkotik

Enigkotik

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:27 AM

I've got four tubs going, with this being my first go at bulk growing. They are penis envy six, blue meanies, space coast, and alacabenzi. My substrate is a mix of horse poo, vermiculite, Coco coir, and gypsum powder. They're showing good growth but they are looking weird now. I began the tubs on August 5th. And now some of the growths are turning brown. I'm wondering if I added too much gypsum powder? I also have a number of mycobags going as well. They are wild bird seed. They've colonized very rapidly but some have also begun to turn brown. I'll try and get some pics in for you guys to look at. I get my information from three sources pretty much. This website being one, the mushroom psilocybin Bible by Virginia Hayes and Dr Kay Mandrake, and the magic mushroom growers guide by Quaesitor. I started the grow like I said with wild bird seed, then spawned that to the tubs, putting four layers of spawn and substrate. The depth is around 4 in. I have a number of holes drilled in each side of the tubs, I have the bottom lined with the black material called weed be gone, which inhibits weed growth in your gardens. I have them in a room with an air machine, and air conditioner going 24/7. To eradicate some of the smell of the CO2 and to clean the air, every 4 hours I run an ozone machine for 30 minutes, it is adjustable and I have it turned down to the very lowest setting. I can be in the same room with it running because of the ability to adjust it. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it? The temp range is 75 to 77 Fahrenheit. I'm wondering why they are turning brown on me? I can see the mycelium excreting a brown colored liquid. I did the boiling water method to pasteurize the substrate. Three of the tubs are looking well with little to no contamination issues, but my penis envy tub is showing a large amount of green contam. What ideas do you guys have about them turning brown? I'm also trying to fruit some lions mane, I have two microbags with wild bird seed, and then I started two larger bags with hardwood sawdust. I have too many bags going, and not enough space to put them lol so I'm thinking about just trying to start a natural garden outside. I'm keeping this humidity around 95% inside the tubs as well. I have a window opened about 6 in which sits beside my tubs and bags to get a lot of fresh air as well. I look forward to your comments and questions.

#2 Enigkotik

Enigkotik

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:28 AM

I'm having trouble getting the pictures to post. Could someone help with that please? Thank you.

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:40 AM

Welcome to Mycotopia!

I have them in a room with an air machine, and air conditioner going 24/7. To eradicate some of the smell of the CO2...

Just out of curiosity, what does your CO2 smell like?

As to the rest, the pictures would help a lot, as would paragraph breaks.

This guide to posting pictures might be a little too comprehensive, but it should help: https://mycotopia.ne...-post-pictures/

• coorsmikey, Arathu, PJammer24 and 1 other like this

#4 Enigkotik

Enigkotik

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:04 PM

Okay, I found the thread about posting pictures and have tried a couple times with no success. Still having trouble trying to post pics. And as far as the smell of the CO2, it's kind of like a big fart., That's as close as I can tell lol.

#5 Enigkotik

Enigkotik

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:06 PM

Oh yeah, I'm trying to post the pictures using my smartphone. Is that an issue?

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:07 PM

Sounds like contamination, since CO2 doesn't have an odor of its own.

I'm not sure if the how-to thread mentioned it, but to upload a picture you have to be using the full editor, not the quick reply field at the bottom of the page. So first click "More Reply Options" to open the full editor where the button for uploading appears (labeled "Choose Files...").

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

Oh yeah, I'm trying to post the pictures using my smartphone. Is that an issue?

Maybe. I've never done that so I don't know.

#8 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:56 PM

If you're on a smartphone you need to scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click "full version" that'll enable desktop PC mode and from there you just click on "more reply options" like TV causality mentioned and then you'll see the options to attach a file, its dumb though the way its setup, first you have to select the file to attach and then click "attach file" and that begins the upload and after its uploaded you have to click "insert" to post the hyperlink into the message.

And if you find out how to post without the picture coming out sideways please do share cause I'm dying to know how lol
  • ElPirana likes this

#9 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:11 PM

I have never liked using a phone.  I always have transferred my pics to the laptop and edited them before posting.

Fungi, I am not sure this will work, but try taking the pics with the phone turned 1/4 of a turn and try posting the pic to see if it is in the correct orientation.

As far as your grow is concerned, Enigkotik, I have to agree with TV.  The smell should be a mushroom smell.

#10 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 777 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

If you're on a smartphone you need to scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click "full version" that'll enable desktop PC mode and from there you just click on "more reply options" like TV causality mentioned and then you'll see the options to attach a file, its dumb though the way its setup, first you have to select the file to attach and then click "attach file" and that begins the upload and after its uploaded you have to click "insert" to post the hyperlink into the message.
And if you find out how to post without the picture coming out sideways please do share cause I'm dying to know how lol

On my cell, if I edit the picture and save (just simply cropping a slight amount on one side works) then it will load the pictures straight. Not sure why it does that.
  • Boebs likes this

#11 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:12 AM

I've got four tubs going, with this being my first go at bulk growing. They are penis envy six, blue meanies, space coast, and alacabenzi. My substrate is a mix of horse poo, vermiculite, Coco coir, and gypsum powder. They're showing good growth but they are looking weird now. I began the tubs on August 5th. And now some of the growths are turning brown. I'm wondering if I added too much gypsum powder? I also have a number of mycobags going as well. They are wild bird seed. They've colonized very rapidly but some have also begun to turn brown. I'll try and get some pics in for you guys to look at. I get my information from three sources pretty much. This website being one, the mushroom psilocybin Bible by Virginia Hayes and Dr Kay Mandrake, and the magic mushroom growers guide by Quaesitor. I started the grow like I said with wild bird seed, then spawned that to the tubs, putting four layers of spawn and substrate. The depth is around 4 in. I have a number of holes drilled in each side of the tubs, I have the bottom lined with the black material called weed be gone, which inhibits weed growth in your gardens. I have them in a room with an air machine, and air conditioner going 24/7. To eradicate some of the smell of the CO2 and to clean the air, every 4 hours I run an ozone machine for 30 minutes, it is adjustable and I have it turned down to the very lowest setting. I can be in the same room with it running because of the ability to adjust it. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it? The temp range is 75 to 77 Fahrenheit. I'm wondering why they are turning brown on me? I can see the mycelium excreting a brown colored liquid. I did the boiling water method to pasteurize the substrate. Three of the tubs are looking well with little to no contamination issues, but my penis envy tub is showing a large amount of green contam. What ideas do you guys have about them turning brown? I'm also trying to fruit some lions mane, I have two microbags with wild bird seed, and then I started two larger bags with hardwood sawdust. I have too many bags going, and not enough space to put them lol so I'm thinking about just trying to start a natural garden outside. I'm keeping this humidity around 95% inside the tubs as well. I have a window opened about 6 in which sits beside my tubs and bags to get a lot of fresh air as well. I look forward to your comments and questions.

Look at my pic of weed after 30 min exposure. I'd guess you are way over doing ozone

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

#12 sandman

sandman

That Motherfucker

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,022 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:45 PM

You can not run an ozone machine during your fungus grow...It literally kills it. Only when everything living is removed can you run an ozone machine.

What CO2 smell are you talking about anyway? CO2 has no smell unless highly concentrated. Whats going on here?

Garden liner is not a good liner for a monotube, it's probably not sanitary out of the bag like plastic bags would be.

• Mycol likes this

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

You can not run an ozone machine during your fungus grow...It literally kills it. Only when everything living is removed can you run an ozone machine.

What CO2 smell are you talking about anyway? CO2 has no smell unless highly concentrated. Whats going on here?

Garden liner is not a good liner for a monotube, it's probably not sanitary out of the bag like plastic bags would be.

This is a thread from August 2020 Mr. Sandman... The most recent post by Randy was initiated by his having some issues with O3 and some cannabis they were growing... 

I also think the O3 killed the mycelium, though if that were the case and they continued to run the O3 generator, they would likely kill the bacteria as well which would have been my first suspect for being the smell's origin... 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!