55 replies to this topic

#21 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,744 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:15 AM

Give this a good read mate. Cheap cost effective materials with the pf tek that will get you started. Start at the start not in the middle like most of us noobs try to do. Keep it simple with the pf tek and you will have success that will build your confidence. Then you can start to fan out to other methods and techniques. It takes some practice and some failures but eventually it will start happening for you. Sounds like you just bought the most expensive piece of equipment you need. So go buy some jars, brown rice and vermiculite and you will be off to the races. The amount of money saved from buying pre made bulk bags will quickly pay it off

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

Edited by flashingrooster, 23 August 2020 - 09:21 AM.

#22 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 04:45 PM

Whenever anyone mentions pf my mind immediately thinks Pink Floyd or Pink Fuck so having to add another abbreviation to my vocabulary. I've got rye berries (and several other things) on order and picked up on vermiculite today. And got materials to build a hillbilly flow hood too. Box fan and two filters, HEPA and that blue open weave stuff to catch the dust bunnies.

In the meantime I'm gonna try saving the last bag by taking it out of the all in one bag and placing it into a somewhat small plastic box lined with foil then cover with foil. and lightly mist the sides of the box after a day or so. 

I have since looked at the boxes and they won't work, the lid doesn't seal very well and the handle has slots in the lid that's open to the inside. Time to rethink...

#23 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

The bags were bought already made up from an outfit in southern Ohio. The pressure canner is a 22qt T-fal with pressure gauge. I contacted the Ebay seller but he hasn't gotten back yet...

It sucks that I had two disappointments in one day.  I decided to pitch them cause colonization had pretty much stopped. I'm debating whether to put a pee hole in the bottom of the third bag as a preventative measure.

don't be disappointed we've all been through the learning curve.

#24 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,744 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:11 AM

From what I understand those ghetto flow hoods are worse than just using a still air box. My recommendation for playing with those dirty subs would be in your garage or outside, they may end up just contaminating your grow room even more

#25 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

don't be disappointed we've all been through the learning curve.

Not the first time learning something new. Last year I resurrected my Honda V4 Magna from boxes. Had to pull/rebuild the carbs 3 times before I got it right. Now I'm playing with bio-chemistry.  I just want to start Microdosing ASAP and this put it back by a couple months. I'll keep at it.

#26 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

I went ahead and "re-potted" the last bag into a plastic tub. By chance I chose the right size, the substrate depth is a good 3" with plenty of headroom for fruiting. When dumping the bag I noted only the top third showed any signs of colonization so I broke it up over the rest and mixed. Overall it smelled like manure so I'm not too concerned at this point.

Contrary to advice I went ahead with the hillbilly flow fan making sure to seal the hepa filter to the fan and blue mesh filter to the backside. Then before using it I misted the output side of the filter with alcohol, turned it on and misted the input side several times. I'm considering this a last ditch effort to save the last bag so if it fails it fails.

#27 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 08:40 AM

I checked the tote this morning and all looks well so far. Far faster colonization than in the bag and there is considerable humidity on the sides of the tote. Maybe by next weekend it'll be ready for fruiting... I know I am.

The person I ordered the pressure canner from on Ebay turned out to be a scam artist and Ebay booted him off then refunded my money. I'm happy about that. I then ordered a used 16qt Presto from another person.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 28 August 2020 - 08:48 AM.

#28 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:16 AM

Gosh darn scam artists....

That a good that the mycelium is recovering, the stall could have been related to excess co2 build up in the bags some cubensis can handle elevated co2 levels better then others so it debunks paul statments work he did and detailed in tmc for PR. Pr were said to stall out when the co2 reached 10,000ppm and fruiting occured at somewhere between 2,000-3,000ppm but it's all irrelevant to p.cubensis since like I was saying some do better then others in low f.a.e environments.

It's a old book but still a worthy read for any amatauer cultivator studying p.cubensis outside any legal authority ;)

If you think about it, were all years ahead in research on psilocybe cubensis, they're just finding out stuff about them that I knew personally 10years ago....

We should form a union and begin comparing notes and then sell out the research to big pharma for millions of dollars lol and the best part is being the guinie pigs for the research, non, non, non

:p

I dont sleep well, but when I do I dream big.

#29 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

After all the problems with the all in one bags I'm through with them. There's got to be tons of info here on all the different teks but no central repository that I've been able to find yet. Except for the PC I've got ingredients for Rye tek so for the time being I'll work with that.

#30 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:05 PM

When I first started, I bought a couple all in one bags and a couple that were straight rye berries... The rye never colonized and the all in one bags didn't do a whole lot for me either... I have seen a lot of people struggle with buying stuff pre-sterilized or pre-pasteurized... I think it may have to do with the water content being thrown off if they are not used quickly enough or poor preparation by the vendor of some type...

Once you have a PC, can run your own jars, inoculate them quickly, and get them colonizing in a short period of time, your success rate should increase and your overall cost decrease.

I steam pasteurize but you can pasteurize in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer in a pillow case... I think jersey knit pillow cases work best since some of the tighter weaves will not drain adequately. Steam pasteurization with clothes or wall paper steamers will cost you a little more for the setup but allows you to do more at once. If you are using non-nutritious substrate materials like coir and verm, you can do it with boiling water in a bucket or in a cooler as I prefer since the temperature stays high longer. I have had poor results trying to pasteurize in the oven... It has been over 8 years or so since I last tried but it did not go well... If I remember correctly, getting the stove to a stable pasteurizing temperature was difficult and maintaining adequate water content was also difficult for me.

• jrh likes this

#31 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:19 PM

I tryed oven pasteurization of horse manure once a long time ago and the entire house ended up smelling like a giant fart.

That should speak volumes for oven pasteurization.

#32 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:01 PM

I tryed oven pasteurization of horse manure once a long time ago and the entire house ended up smelling like a giant fart.

:tongue:  I bet your significant other had something to say about that! I've got organic cow manure and contemplating how to sterilize that. Mix the substrate then PC in a pillow case? I also have a large mouth gallon jar but might be too tall for PC.

#33 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

I got the PC sorted out and now have a 16 qt Presto.

A few days ago I decided to check on the bag that I dumped in the yard a month or so ago and nothing but a check today and got a big surprise, a nice crop of shrooms. 195gm so far. Watered it cause it was so dry and hoping for another crop in a week or so. Maybe even tomorrow cause there were pins scattered around. With that in mind and the last bag that I transferred to a tote struggling I decided to park it next to the one in the yard, cross my fingers and hope. I've got a bag of organic kow manure and thinking about scattering it around the cakes.

I just checked on the cake I planted and it may be my imagination but it already looks better, it's been only 1 1/2 hr.

I set aside 15 gm for tomorrow and set the rest on the dehumidifier. Off to see the Wizard... or not with that dose.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 07 September 2020 - 08:35 PM.

• FunG likes this

#34 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:08 PM

Lol

I go see the wizard on 3g doses.... you'll be talking with God or satan at that dose.

Goid luck and congrats on the outdoor harvest.

#35 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:07 AM

I checked it this morning, might have a small harvest later today.

DSC01503 (Medium).JPG

The cake I planted next to it already looks better. Thinking about getting an under-bed storage tote and invert it over the plot to keep humidity up and protect from cooler nights or dryer days.

Any thought about sprinkling some composted manure over the plot? Sanitize first ?

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 08 September 2020 - 08:19 AM.

#36 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:09 AM

:tongue:  I bet your significant other had something to say about that! I've got organic cow manure and contemplating how to sterilize that. Mix the substrate then PC in a pillow case? I also have a large mouth gallon jar but might be too tall for PC.

Do not PC your substrate!!! If you run it in your PC, you will be sterilizing it... You want to pasteurize it. Sterilizing in your PC will kill all micro-organisms... You want to keep the beneficial thermophiles alive or you will have contaminates. I think it was TVcasualty who recently described thermophilic bacteria, which i beneficial in your substrate mix, as a place holder... These bacteria which thrive at high temperatures will sit as a place holder so bad bacteria and fungal contaminates can not colonize prior to your mushroom mycelium colonizing...

Pasteurize in a large pot of water on top of the stove in a porous pillow case. I suggest using jersey knit pillow cases.

You can also steam pasteurize using a wall paper steamer, wrinkle steamer, or other source of steam but that would take a slightly larger investment if you want to construct the unit properly...

I would just pasteurize in a pot of water and aim to keep it somewhere between 150f-170f... I typically shoot for 160--165f... I steam pasteurize for 6 hours but if I were doing it in water on the stove, I would shoot for 4 hours though some may say that is over kill...

#37 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:20 AM

I was going to ask if you ever took a day off my butt pjammer but it's a good thing you caught that cause it didnt register with me at the time.

But yea, thanks for explaining the difference between the two. I'm not sure what pc'd manure would smell like but if it's anything like oven pasteurization then no thanks haha

#38 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:36 AM

I just want people to get accurate information and sound advice.

Edited by PJammer24, 08 September 2020 - 01:51 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#39 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

Do not PC your substrate!!! If you run it in your PC, you will be sterilizing it... You want to pasteurize it. Sterilizing in your PC will kill all micro-organisms... You want to keep the beneficial thermophiles alive or you will have contaminates. I think it was TVcasualty who recently described thermophilic bacteria, which i beneficial in your substrate mix, as a place holder... These bacteria which thrive at high temperatures will sit as a place holder so bad bacteria and fungal contaminates can not colonize prior to your mushroom mycelium colonizing...

Pasteurize in a large pot of water on top of the stove in a porous pillow case. I suggest using jersey knit pillow cases.

You can also steam pasteurize using a wall paper steamer, wrinkle steamer, or other source of steam but that would take a slightly larger investment if you want to construct the unit properly...

I would just pasteurize in a pot of water and aim to keep it somewhere between 150f-170f... I typically shoot for 160--165f... I steam pasteurize for 6 hours but if I were doing it in water on the stove, I would shoot for 4 hours though some may say that is over kill...

My bad, used the wrong terminology. I meant to say pasteurize but good to know I'm on the right track. I knew sterilizing would be too far but my mind couldn't come up with the right word. How about pasteurizing in a pillow case in a slow cooker for 6 hrs?

I managed to find an under bed storage tote of appropriate size to cover the bed so I'll see what kind of difference it will make.

Thanks PJ

#40 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:19 PM

How I pasteurize, and some observations I've made about the process that explain why I go so long (always at least 12 hours): https://mycotopia.ne...o/#entry1227470 and https://mycotopia.ne...o/#entry1227562

• FunnyFarmer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!