55 replies to this topic

#41 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:55 PM

I tryed oven pasteurization of horse manure once a long time ago and the entire house ended up smelling like a giant fart.

That should speak volumes for oven pasteurization.

:tongue:  I bet your significant other had something to say about that! I've got organic cow manure and contemplating how to sterilize that. Mix the substrate then PC in a pillow case? I also have a large mouth gallon jar but might be too tall for PC.

Do not PC your substrate!!! If you run it in your PC, you will be sterilizing it... You want to pasteurize it. Sterilizing in your PC will kill all micro-organisms... You want to keep the beneficial thermophiles alive or you will have contaminates. I think it was TVcasualty who recently described thermophilic bacteria, which i beneficial in your substrate mix, as a place holder... These bacteria which thrive at high temperatures will sit as a place holder so bad bacteria and fungal contaminates can not colonize prior to your mushroom mycelium colonizing...

Pasteurize in a large pot of water on top of the stove in a porous pillow case. I suggest using jersey knit pillow cases.

You can also steam pasteurize using a wall paper steamer, wrinkle steamer, or other source of steam but that would take a slightly larger investment if you want to construct the unit properly...

I would just pasteurize in a pot of water and aim to keep it somewhere between 150f-170f... I typically shoot for 160--165f... I steam pasteurize for 6 hours but if I were doing it in water on the stove, I would shoot for 4 hours though some may say that is over kill...

My bad, used the wrong terminology. I meant to say pasteurize but good to know I'm on the right track. I knew sterilizing would be too far but my mind couldn't come up with the right word. How about pasteurizing in a pillow case in a slow cooker for 6 hrs?

I managed to find an under bed storage tote of appropriate size to cover the bed so I'll see what kind of difference it will make.

Thanks PJ

I think the disconnect was in you saying that you could use your PC to pasteurize. You could use the PC like a pot and not bring it to pressure and pasteurize that way but if you are going to pressurize your PC as normal, you would be sterilizing rather than pasteurizing.

As for the slow cooker, it all depends on temperature. You will have to bring your substrate to temp, 150-170f is what I shoot for, and then maintain those temps for hours...

#42 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:03 PM

This is what I found growing from the contaminated bag that I emptied in the yard. It's either B+ or Ecuador. My guess is Ecuador. 15 gm wet is about a museum dose. :thumbs_up2:. It only lasted about 3.5 hr. :unsure:  I think I'll go for either 2.5 or 3 dry for the next journey.

20200907_183445 (Small).jpg

The slow cooker is a bit too much on high and even on low it's still a touch too high so I set it to Keep Warm. I'll keep it there for 12 hrs then turn it off and let it cool in place. I just remembered I've got a grape press from when I was making wine (decades ago) and it should do a good job pressing it. Is there a use for the tea from it? Add it to rye berries during the initial soak?

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 09 September 2020 - 06:30 PM.

#43 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:44 PM

In my quest to find out what kind of shroom it is I found one called Lizard King that comes closest in appearance. The only difference is the colors are a little more intense on mine. Not what I ordered from Spore Depot but now I have a few spore prints. Now I gotta wonder what Ecuador is like :meditate:  now that I've had the Lizard.

#44 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,347 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:49 PM

It is really hard to tell one cube apart from another cube

#45 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:45 PM

I went through the list where I bought the spores and Lizard King is closest in coloration. There were a few others that were close but not as close as the Lizard. From what I understand it's not uncommon to get mixed up syringes if they're not on the ball with their inventory.

#46 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:35 PM

Chick-n-alligators.jpg

• smellitstinknot likes this

#47 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:48 PM

Last night I did 1.5 gm of Ecuador (I'm back to calling it that) and .5 of B+. Nice little ride and learned a lesson. If I resist the shroom's effects it will let go sooner than if I go with the flow. First lesson learned... As Yoda says, "Clear your mind"..

Anyway, I just smoked some CBD herb and it seems to have triggered a residual effect from the shrooms. Cool.... :meditate:  ...a freebe!

My little garden patch seems to be a continuous producer instead of flushes. Now I'm seeing larger shrooms starting to appear on it. Bad thing is the weather won't be cooperating for a week or so. Getting down into the 40's at night so taking extra precautions to protect it. So far I'm having better luck with outdoor growing and thinking about enlarging the bed next year.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 14 September 2020 - 09:13 PM.

• FunG likes this

#48 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:26 PM

@ FunnyFarmer     oofff...does not look like normal mycelium excrement/metabolites to me.  the black areas are concerning.  I'm not a professional mycologist but consider myself to be a smart engineer/fabricator.  But I got a little freaked out when I've had black growth in the past (because I can't identify molds and whether they are benign or not in re human contact).  I'm sure some of the experts will correct me but my basic understanding is that molds are fungi that reproduce without mushroom fruits.  Glad to read that you pitched them.  Best of luck next time.  I too have had concerns in the past about "shroom piss" but luckily for me it was exactly that, e.g. small yellowish goblets that form in areas of jars while colonization finishes.  The excrement/metabolites just wash off after birthing.

#49 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

Now we're rockin'. Mix 2.5g B+, .5g Ecuador shrooms and this album

[Direct Link]

:meditate:  :meditate:  :meditate: :meditate: :meditate:

I've got a lot in common with my Avatar right now...................

#50 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

I forgot to add an update, I'm trying the BRF Tek. Started it about 2 weeks ago and the mycelium is progressing very nicely. Doing some more Ecuador, B+ and Argentina. I had a little bit of the BRF left over so put Orissa India in it. A total of 7 cakes going. They might be ready for birthing in another week or so. It'll be interesting to see what the Orissa does with such a small cake considering how big it gets. Might have to leave it in the jar... Also got F+, Golden Teacher, and Treasure Coast in Rye Tek single qts.

[attachment=1181895:B+_Ecuador_Argentina_OrissaIndia

Attached Thumbnails

• B+_Ecuador_Argentina_OrissaIndia (Medium).jpg

• FunG likes this

#51 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

I'm fascinated by the stark differences between the mycelium in these BRF's. Is this an example of the mycelium types exhibited by differing  shrooms? Is there anything I need to worry about? Healthy or ...?

This one resembles a lightening storm I saw one night that swept across the sky. Good/bad thing I wasn't on shrooms that night as I was on break at work. I would have lost all my shit on the pavement...

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 22 September 2020 - 09:43 PM.

#52 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:16 AM

The first jar is probably okay, and the second has the ideal thick, ropey rhizomorphic growth we're after.

If I were making spore prints I'd pick caps from the second jar since it has the better-looking growth. But both will probably fruit.

• FunnyFarmer likes this

#53 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:48 AM

As some of you recall I had placed a couple cakes in the yard cause they seemed to have stalled and or gone bad. The first to go was Ecuador followed a few weeks later by the golden teacher. The Ecuador started producing after a good rain but the GT was still going nowhere. After some more reading and as a last ditch effort I cased the top of the cakes with hydrated vermiculite. That seems to have done the trick, cold weather is setting in and I've got shrooms. YESSSSSSSS!!! Anxious to try them out. Oh, and I'm trying to take a spore print from one of them.

• TVCasualty likes this

#54 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:54 PM

I took the opportunity to take spore prints from the GT and after taking them I noticed one seemed to have a contamination that looked for all the world like shroom mycelium. Anyone care to guess?

DSC01532 (Medium).JPG

Do I need to pitch it in the back 40 or see where it goes??? This is the first time seeing this, it's fresh from the garden to spore print.

Thanks guys

#55 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:02 AM

That's kind of weird. I can't recall ever seeing that before (on gills, that is). I've seen bits of mycelium growing on the tops of caps in excessively-humid bins, but not on the gills and the stuff in your photo doesn't quite look like what I've seen on caps but it's hard to tell for sure.

In any case that cap is no longer a good candidate for printing even if there was nothing suspicious growing on it because it's been turned gills-up (exposing them to airborne contaminant spores that can tag along with the spores if you print it).

#56 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:08 PM

It came from the garden patch and was part of a group of three, the other two shrooms didn't show the same kind of oddity. The cap seems healthy enough, no discoloration around the area. So if I may paraphrase Shakespeare "To eat or not to eat, that is the question." I didn't see Absolum around the shroom patch so no help there either...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!