• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:16 PM

I put them on my dashboard and park in the sun with windows rolled up.

Then in bags/mason jars with dessicant packs.

With the fungi exposed to direct sunlight? That seems likely to impact potency, though possibly not significantly depending on how long they spend there. I sure wish we could really test this stuff and find out for sure.

Have yet to test potency; but they dry fully in half-3/4 of a day, then I throw them in a bag with dessicant.

Normally would use an actual dehydrator, but there's a distinct lack of power where I'm currently living.

#22 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:49 PM

If no way to use the dehydrator, then fan dry them for 2-4 days then desiccant chamber for a few more. They will be cracker dry after that. I used to utilize that way years ago before I bought a dehydrator and it worked well every time. No loss of potency that I ever saw. And never had mold on my fruits.

Just my 2 pennies.
  • Arathu and Juthro like this

#23 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:56 AM

Im not sure about potency loss or anything but if you fan dry them they kind of shrivel up. In a dehydrator they seem to keep there shape and maybe look a little more appealing.

#24 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,439 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

To keep things cracker dry..........attachicon.gif20200822_074239.jpg

Indicating dessicant often contains cobalt dichloride wich is toxic to humans. If your using it, you need to make damn sure the mushroom never comes in contact with it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

#25 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,439 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

So I have been using a fan to air dry my crop. I was trying to make sure they are cracker dry so I created this box.

I created this with some wiring and damp rid

Damp rid is good to use? This the first time I set this up. The mushies were dry but smelled like the damp rid.

Any suggestions/opinions/help appreciated!

If im in a hurry i dehydrate them in the dehydrator at 135° for 24 hours. If im not, i slowly dry in a drying cabinet with a dehumidifier and extraction fan for 48 hours or until no more then 10% moisture is left then into the dessicant chamber with damprid. Either method i use, they are tossed in paint strainer bags and are stored in the chamber until i need them.

Slowly drying them keeps the more natural shape if that makes sense. In a dehydrator, and probably because i pack is so full, the become flat and stick together. Between the two there is no difference in potency just simply esthetics. No matter method you choose, the Psilocin will be gone before cracker dry even in the dehydrator.

My containers are made of totes large enough for 4 shoebox totes to fit in. Each container is filled full with damprid. I made a notch in the lid and used velcro tape so that i can attach and remove a plexiglass lid. I believe its 8lbs of damprid i use per shoebox, last many years. When the top harden ups you just break it apart and mix it all back up. When the bulk of it is solid slab, replace it.

Do not use anything indicating as it has cobalt dichloride and is very toxic to humans.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
  • peacefrog likes this

#26 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:13 PM

I'd suggest you (OP) check out this thread I started last year "drying and long-term storage protocol" (https://mycotopia.ne...torage-protocol) - i think it covers almost everything regarding drying and storage.  Long story short, I used a dehydrator to get them cracker dry and then store them in vacuum sealed bags in a weather sealed storage bin (black so no UV could access it) with a tray of damp-rid also in the bin (but not in contact with the fruits).  Kept fruits like this for 1+ years and they as good as they were when put in storage!

https://mycotopia.ne...orage-protocol/

this thread has had a lot of traffic; 5,000+ views.

Best of luck!

Edited by ilikethings, 17 September 2020 - 06:17 PM.

• pastyoureyes likes this

#27 planetcaravan03

planetcaravan03

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

Low tech, cheap and serves its purpose rather well. I start off putting my dudes in the fan box for about a day then over into a Tidy Cat bucket with unscented Damp-Rid for another day. For storage the finished dudes go in a mason jar with some silica gel packets. Cheap and works great. I may upgrade to a dehydrator to use with other planned food projects.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3460.JPG
  • IMG_3459 (Edited).JPG
  • dude3.jpg

#28 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 721 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:08 AM

Low tech, cheap and serves its purpose rather well. I start off putting my dudes in the fan box for about a day then over into a Tidy Cat bucket with unscented Damp-Rid for another day. For storage the finished dudes go in a mason jar with some silica gel packets. Cheap and works great. I may upgrade to a dehydrator to use with other planned food projects.

If you are storing in a jar you could add some oxygen absorber packets as well. The jar will seal if you use them.
  • planetcaravan03 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!