28 replies to this topic

#1 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:33 PM

The Situation: 08/21/2020 (Day 5)

I am now on day five of my very first psilocybe cubensis grow, of the Albino Penis Envy strain. I innoculated seven jars with ten CCs of liquid spore on 08/16/2020, under... less-than-sterile conditions. I was overtired and very eager to start, having had the supplies for about a week at that point.  My first mishap was noticing that the spores had all bunched up in the tube. That put some butterflies in my stomach. My second mishap was everything else. I didn't sterilize anything, including the needle between inoculations, saving for the jars themselves and the BRF inside them. I believe one of the jars is already manifesting trichoderma. I'll monitor it and if it doesn't change in the next two days, I'm yeeting it. I'm seeing mycelial growth in all jars, though, which is very encouraging!

The Set-Up

• As of 08/21/2020:
    • Seven jars of inoculated, sterilized BRF
    • Jars are kept inside of a see-through box, light-insulated with a towel and lid
    • Ceramic space heater keeps the jars a constant 80 F.

The Strategy

• As of 08/21/2020:
    • Wait for complete colonization and then move to fruiting chamber.
      • Proposed FC design: opaque box with field-condition-hydration perlite carpeting, colonized BRF cakes resting on hydrated vermiculite. Box modified to allow for air hose tubing to be snaked into a half-full, quart-sized Mason jar of water. Air stone in the jar, hose connected to an aquarium pump.

I'll be posting images as soon as I learn how to scrub metadata.

• wharfrat, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 1 other like this

#2 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 808 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:47 PM

Good luck your method seems solid. I case tho because I am a journeyman cultivator at best. I want to do cakes tho when I have more space I hope to explore it my only attempt there was s misfortune.

I do indeed find myself in need of a timed setup like you are speaking of for novice cyanescans attempt. Wish me luck man be easy.

Edited by makinbones69, 21 August 2020 - 11:49 PM.

• xlcor likes this

#3 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:52 PM

You might want to ditch the ceramic heater, if it's to close in proximity to the container housing the jars it could cause mass water evaporation and dry them out.

Room temp is usually a better choice just a little slower to colonize.

Did you use 10cc's per a jar or 10cc's devided between 7 jars? Cause 10ccs per a jar would be quite excessive for 250ml cakes.

Another thing is albino penis envy is one of the most notorious strains for poor fruiting, pe dont do well on cakes ape will perform even worse.

I wouldn't worry to much about cross contamination so long as you capped the syringe between each inoculation and it didnt come into contact with any surface space since sterilized cakes should remain pretty sterile but If you see one with trich then theres a good chance they'll be more.
  • onediadem and xlcor like this

#4 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:08 AM

Good luck your method seems solid. I case tho because I am a journeyman cultivator at best. I want to do cakes tho when I have more space I hope to explore it my only attempt there was s misfortune.

I do indeed find myself in need of a timed setup like you are speaking of for novice cyanescans attempt. Wish me luck man be easy.

I've cased each BRF with about a half-inch thick layer of vermiculite. What misfortunes did your cakes suffer? Contaminations, no colonization, no fruiting?

I do wish you the best for your cyanescens! Keep us posted on it!

You might want to ditch the ceramic heater, if it's to close in proximity to the container housing the jars it could cause mass water evaporation and dry them out.

Room temp is usually a better choice just a little slower to colonize.

Did you use 10cc's per a jar or 10cc's devided between 7 jars? Cause 10ccs per a jar would be quite excessive for 250ml cakes.

Another thing is albino penis envy is one of the most notorious strains for poor fruiting, pe dont do well on cakes ape will perform even worse.

I wouldn't worry to much about cross contamination so long as you capped the syringe between each inoculation and it didnt come into contact with any surface space since sterilized cakes should remain pretty sterile but If you see one with trich then theres a good chance they'll be more.

Excellent point about the ceramic heater. My only concern in ditching it now is that I'd be changing the grow parameters during the grow period. However, I am noticing condensation on the inside of some jars, which definitely concerned me. All told, I think I'll take your advice.

I also used 10 CCs across all jars. I'm horrible at plunger control so each injection site, four per jar, received some indeterminate amount of spore. Some received 0.25 CCs, some received 2.5 CCs. :mellow:

Did not know that about PE strains. I'll carry out this experiment as it is, but I'll definitely start looking for another strain to cultivate. Any suggestions? I'd also love any vendor suggestions, since the company I purchased my spores from no longer exist.

As for the syringe, it only ever touched sterilized surfaces between inoculations.

#5 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 808 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:44 AM

I tried fruiting some solid BRF cakes in decent fruiting chamber but encountered contamination issues. I produced a small yield. Next few runs I cased some mono tubs . A few dub tubs. And even modified a few rotisserie chicken containers I sterilized thanks to advice from itbebasidia. I'm not saying ur luck will be bad or anything I'm just not there with fruiting cakes is all. I'd like to give it another go eventually

#6 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2020 - 08:20 PM

Hawaiians, or Golden Teacher are a safe bet. I am very partial to Hawaiians. They are very contam resistant once colonized and as far as cubes go, my favorite with very little body load. I am dying in this heat right now. I cannot imagine running a heater lol.

• Arathu, PJammer24, FunG and 1 other like this

#7 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:15 AM

I tried fruiting some solid BRF cakes in decent fruiting chamber but encountered contamination issues. I produced a small yield. Next few runs I cased some mono tubs . A few dub tubs. And even modified a few rotisserie chicken containers I sterilized thanks to advice from itbebasidia. I'm not saying ur luck will be bad or anything I'm just not there with fruiting cakes is all. I'd like to give it another go eventually

Looks like I might be hitting a similar contam roadblock. I might try mono tubs next. The chicken containers sound interesting!

Hawaiians, or Golden Teacher are a safe bet. I am very partial to Hawaiians. They are very contam resistant once colonized and as far as cubes go, my favorite with very little body load. I am dying in this heat right now. I cannot imagine running a heater lol.

I was thinking about Teachers when I first purchased my spores! The deciding factor between strains is that one was named Golden Teachers and the other had Penis in its name. I'll look into getting some GT/Hawaiian syringes at the end of the month! My room has gotten much more comfortable since I took FunG's advice of removing the heater.

The Situation: 08/23/2020 (Day 7)

Remarkable mycelial growth in just two days! I'm not sure what caused it, but I'll assume it was the removal of the heater, since that's really the only parameter that changed. I wish I was keeping a photo journal along with this; I'll make sure to start one for my second grow log. Very exciting!

I'm now down to six jars. One of the jars had a black spot on the mycelium. I wasn't sure what it was, so I committed to yeeting the jar if the spot remained. There was no further growth, but there also wasn't any remediation, so I decided to birth the cake prematurely. The spot was hard, like a scale, and easily detached from the mycelium just by picking at it. The cake was still moist and the mycelium was otherwise healthy, so I buried the cake underneath a tree during a fresh rainstorm. It's been covered with about an inch of soil. I'm going to purchase some manure, exhume the cake, cover it in manure, and then rebury it. I have absolutely no hopes or expectations for this boi. It's a fun experiment nonetheless!

#8 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:59 AM

If you want to go the golden teacher route (I strongly advise) pm a mailing addy and I'll send you a clean print...I've got a ton of them and am feeling generous today.

Thank you for your offer G! And all the advice you've given me over the past day or so.

The Situation: 08/26/2020 (Day 10)

Now with pictures! The removal of the ceramic heater seems to have been a good idea, or at least not a bad one. Most of my six jars are showing solid mycelial growth, about on par with what I'd expect to see based on the diagrams from The Entheogen Review's article on the PF TEK. Jars A and C show the most complete colonization. Jars B and D are plodding along, but they're doing 'ight. Jar E has only one point of visible colonization. Jar F has no visible colonization, but I also biffed the construction of the lid; all the spore was injected into the middle of the jar and not the sides. I'm hoping that I'll see full colonization of jars A and C by 09/10/2020, Day 25. I think Jars B and D might be fully colonized by 09/20/2020, Day 35. Jar E I expect might be fully colonized some time in October, around Day 45 or 50.

I'm incredibly impatient and the wait is killing me! It's a skill I'll learn to value, I hope. I'll check in on the Jars again around Day 17.

Due to the staggered colonization rates, I think I'll make a small fruiting chamber capable of holding just a few cakes. I'll lay the cakes on a bed of moistened perlite in the bottom of a styrofoam cooler and mist the cakes 3x daily. I'm really tempted to use one of these cakes in a Lazy Mofo Bag TEK. I'd also like to try experimenting with turning a cake into a peroxidated mycelium slurry for the inoculation of a grain medium.

I found a cardboard cooler. I'm interested in experimenting with it as a fruiting chamber. The cardboard seems interesting to me because I really want to see if there's any chance the mycelium might latch onto the cardboard and start colonizing/consuming it. This will probably be something I do in the future.

Jar_A.jpg

Jar_B.jpg

Jar_C.jpg

Jar_D.jpg

Jar_E.jpg

Edited by xlcor, 26 August 2020 - 11:47 AM.
Edited Spam, Vendor and Shroomery references from funG

• wharfrat, ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#9 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:33 AM

What spam?

Sporeworks is a great company, they're just limited in their selection is all.

The two problems I see going on are that you inoculated the cakes in the center which will be waaaaay slower to colonize then if you had made 4 innoc holes and did so by the sides of the jar.

The other is the shape of the jar, I cant tell if it's a 500ml or 250ml but the 250ml jars are short and round. The problem with cakes is they pent up co2 during colonization and growth slows to a crawl...

One way to combat this is (assuming the cake is pretty much colonized except for at the bottom where the co2 is at its heaviest) is to flip the jar upside down for a day to allow the co2 to roll down and out.

People will tell you that, that is going to contam the cake but it's the only way to get the stubborn things to finish and mine never contaminated so hmpft somebodies right and wrong.

#10 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:43 AM

What spam?

The two problems I see going on are that you inoculated the cakes in the center which will be waaaaay slower to colonize then if you had made 4 innoc holes and did so by the sides of the jar.

The other is the shape of the jar, I cant tell if it's a 500ml or 250ml but the 250ml jars are short and round. The problem with cakes is they pent up co2 during colonization and growth slows to a crawl...

One way to combat this is (assuming the cake is pretty much colonized except for at the bottom where the co2 is at its heaviest) is to flip the jar upside down for a day to allow the co2 to roll down and out.

People will tell you that, that is going to contam the cake but it's the only way to get the stubborn things to finish and mine never contaminated so hmpft somebodies right and wrong.

Spam? I didn't mention spam. These jars are a half pint, 236 ml. I'll try flipping Jars A and D around Day 20, if they're showing a hesitation to colonize the bottom. It was also on Jar F that I inoculated in the center; every other jar received 4 inoculation on the sides.

Edited by xlcor, 26 August 2020 - 11:44 AM.

#11 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 11:44 AM

FunG, you seem to continually let us know your opinion about vendors even though its against the wishes of the board. Almost like you are intentionally instigating or spamming. There is even a thread that allows the vendor talk and you continue to spam the boards. Whats the deal? I just come along and clean it up and haven't infracted you nor flagged you as a spammer, but then you continue, much like a spammer does.

Walks like a duck, Quacks like a duck, then maybe it is a duck.

Edited by coorsmikey, 26 August 2020 - 01:51 PM.

• wharfrat and peacefrog like this

#12 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 600 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 02:04 PM

Hey Excelsior, your grow is looking good so far!

I don’t grow brf cakes very often, but earlier this summer I did with a couple half-pint jars of Alacabenzi. I ended up spawning the cakes into some coir/vermiculite sub in a tray and tried out TVCasualty’s wet towel tek. It was pretty easy to do and the mushrooms seemed to like the abundant fresh airflow. Take a look at his thread if your interested:

https://mycotopia.ne...-wet-towel-tek/
  • makinbones69 likes this

#13 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:32 AM

FunG, you seem to continually let us know your opinion about vendors even though its against the wishes of the board. Almost like you are intentionally instigating or spamming. There is even a thread that allows the vendor talk and you continue to spam the boards. Whats the deal? I just come along and clean it up and haven't infracted you nor flagged you as a spammer, but then you continue, much like a spammer does.

I've never heard of Alacabenzi! I'll look it up. Thanks for the recommendation on the TEK, it's a method I look forward to trying some day!

I'm now down to six jars. One of the jars had a black spot on the mycelium. I wasn't sure what it was, so I committed to yeeting the jar if the spot remained. There was no further growth, but there also wasn't any remediation, so I decided to birth the cake prematurely. The spot was hard, like a scale, and easily detached from the mycelium just by picking at it. The cake was still moist and the mycelium was otherwise healthy, so I buried the cake underneath a tree during a fresh rainstorm. It's been covered with about an inch of soil. I'm going to purchase some manure, exhume the cake, cover it in manure, and then rebury it. I have absolutely no hopes or expectations for this boi. It's a fun experiment nonetheless!

Update on the buried cake: there's mycelial growth in the soil! It almost looks like there's a troupe of ants helping it out, too. I don't know if this is contamination, a cobweb mold maybe, or if it's actually APE growing out, but I'm going to keep an eye on it!

FuzzyDirt.jpg

EDIT: the picture is shitty because I'm shitty at taking images on mobile. I probably need to clean my camera and do some work on adjusting the focus.

Edited by xlcor, 27 August 2020 - 08:33 AM.

• ElPirana, makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#14 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:03 AM

Excuse my mishap, I didnt know.

Quack, quack.

#15 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 05:57 PM

Just got some new syringes tonight. Jedi Mind Fuck, Golden Mammoth, and Golden Teacher. I then prepared some agar, using Peacefrog's BRF agar tek. I made 4 half-pint jars, so one liter altogether. I mixed 9 tbs of agar powder with 2 tbs of fresh-ground brown rice flour to make the dry media. 3 tbs of dry media went into each jar, along with a heaping tsp of agar to ensure there would be enough, which was then covered by 4 oz of tap water. They were PCd at 15 PSI for half an hour. I then transferred them to a bin which I had washed with a 10% solution of bleach.

There was a breach during the PC which resulted in two jars leaking agar all over the side. I scraped this off with a plastic fork, dipped in the same 10% bleach solution used to wash the bin. The agar was already hard and settled; I wasn't able to pour any into the borosilicate petri dishes which I PCed with the jars. Very sad.

I'm going to wait for the agar jars to cool to room temperature and then inoculate each jar with 10 CC of a single strain.

As for my APE grow, one jar is almost fully colonized. I'm going to put together a basic fruiting chamber to fruit that jar ASAP for a spore print.

• FunG likes this

#16 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:25 PM

Update on my agar: I did it while drained from a low fever and pain-killers, so I did it in the most wrong ways possible. Total waste of agar and spore water. Time well-spent because it was a very instructive failure. My main lesson: learn to walk first! I'll pursue agar again after I have some successes with lower-hanging fruits.

Today's low-hanging fruits involves a LC inoculation on WBS with Lion's Mane and Blue Oyster cultures. I'm preparing some more WBS and PF cakes for an inoculation tomorrow, which I'm intending to inoculate with Golden Teacher spores gifted to me by our forum friend, FunG; this means I'll also be preparing spore water today. I'm interested in seeing what the colonization rate difference between WBS and PF cakes. After I get a few good WBS jars going, I intend to start experimenting with cracked corn.

Update on my APE PF cakes: they're all coming along very well! One of them has reached full colonization; the other ones are probably a week behind, and they're all at roughly the same stage of colonization. I don't fully understand why one of them has progressed so much quicker, but my best guess is that it has to do with the grow parameters from the start of the project. One of them was placed much closer to the ceramic heater, and I suspect that's the fully colonized jar. I'm constructing an aquarium-water-heater-based space heater so I can provide my grain jars the best conditions.

My current plan is to birth and dunk the fully-colonized cake today, and then fruit it in a very ghetto chamber constructed from a half-gallon jug of sweet tea that I cleaned out. I'll put  overhydrated vermiculite on the bottom of the jug, coat the cake in vermiculite, and then mist/air the cake three times a day.

I'd appreciate advice on whether I should refrigerate the PF cake instead, to wait for the others to colonize so I can fruit them all at once, and about whether the half-gallon jug is a good fruiting chamber for a cake. My only concern about the chamber is the jagged edge where the top half of the jug sits on the bottom half. Should I tape that connection and just hydrate/air through the jug's hole? Also, is vermiculite as good as perlite for a hydration reservoir?

Best!

#17 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

I hate posting so many times in a row, my apologies if anyone's annoyed by this. I decided to birth and dunk the cake. Here are some pictures.

ColonizedCakeA_Birthed_Side.jpg ColonizedCakeA_Birthed_Top.jpg

Should I be concerned about the brown stuff on the top and the thinner area on the side? It smells of pure mushroom, no bacterial contamination, but I'm having newb panics about yeast and/or cobweb mold (respectively).

Edited by xlcor, 06 September 2020 - 02:54 PM.

• wharfrat, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 1 other like this

#18 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:09 PM

Ten days since my last post. The cake from previous has been fruiting beautifully. The mycelium has started turning a grayish-blue on all sides since I harvested a few pins yesterday; some of the caps on the pins were a dark purple/black. The cake looks stressed. In fear of the fruits that were already there, I've now harvested and consumed them. As mentioned, yesterday I ate five small pins. I suspect this was a threshold dose. I was energetic and happy. Today I consumed probably three to four good-sized fruits, five-to-six fledgling fruits, and ten to fifteen pins. I blended them up into a banana/espresso/chocolate/peanut butter smoothie. There was no taste of freshroom at all. I also used a banana yesterday to mask the taste of the pins.

These two times are my first-ever experience with mushrooms, and my third time total for psychedelics. I'm not expecting much from what I took today, but there's no surprise if it ends up being quite the ride. The APE seems to be growing well. I need to make a glovebox so I can get some prints for continued cultivation.

Wish me luck!

• Mycol likes this

#19 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:49 PM

You dont need a gloveboxs for prints xlcor, the spores wouldn't drop in one since its devoid of f.a.e . Use a rubbermaid container and leave the lid sitting ontop of the lips to allow f.a.e or like I said, the caps wont drop spores very well without it.

#20 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,395 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:03 PM

You dont need a gloveboxs for prints xlcor, the spores wouldn't drop in one since its devoid of f.a.e . Use a rubbermaid container and leave the lid sitting ontop of the lips to allow f.a.e or like I said, the caps wont drop spores very well without it.

This is why PJ always calls you out! Where do you come up with this stuff? I do spore prints in a sealed environments  flawlessly. So have many other experienced folks. Seriously where you get your info that you regurgitate like its the one word of god?  Sorry to call you out like this but you should consider how your posts come across to people with actual experience. Maybe the newbs believe you. Please word your posts a lil differently like including IMO or "What I read and interpreted". If you can't say things that align with true unadulterated experience then back it up with citing stuff that actually jives. That Meth stuff will mess you up in ways you don't realize until the damage is done. It will make you think things are real that are not.

I try and just let thing ride as I know most folk can just see right through what your posting and hopefully learn from you that meth is bad! Stop posting misinformation.

Edit: And damn I just realized this is the same thread I infracted you on already while accidentally banning you, then reversing it. You are really starting to convince me that you are "trolling". Despite all the complaints I get and defend your presence here in this community.

Edited by coorsmikey, 17 September 2020 - 10:25 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!