• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:54 AM

What are you growing besides cubensis and pans? How are you doing with them? How are doing them?

I’m planning to work a bit with Semperviva as my main project, but I would also like to grow other Mexicana, zapotecoeim and papuana. Not sure which will be most conducive to where I’m at and what I can pull off temperature wise primarily.
  • ElPirana likes this

#2 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 01:00 AM

This interests me . Great thread creation by the way Jrotten. I only have the stalled cyanescans I showed earlier I wont repost. And my tampanensis is coming along. My sclerotia attempt with tampanensis seems to be moving along exponentially tho. I blame the dry medium. These are stones forming ? I'm unsure it's so fast I started this 6/18.

That's my attempt. I'll monitor this post and take lessons.Thanks a ton for the info!

So these tampanensis stones are my most exotic attempt. Look forward to input and learning a thing or two from future posts here.
1659b653f3ed8fd1afea044bee2ab065.jpgb2475d4f64b999fd2b7cd888d2f0714e.jpg0edb04d5ac5e54719e62cc8099d107d7.jpg

Edited by makinbones69, 28 August 2020 - 01:04 AM.

• Jrotten likes this

#3 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:34 AM

I'll be starting a semper viva culture as soon as I pick up some whole oats as recommended, hopefully my wedge hasnt dried out since I received it.

I dont think I'll be fruiting them however since the temps are all over the charts.
  • Jrotten likes this

#4 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:09 AM

Jrotten. I highly recommend trying the stone producers if you want to jump into exotics. Atl#7 and Tampanesis are IME almost as easy to grow as cubes, and have such a clean high. Jalisco takes slightly more effort to induce pins (they seem to like very high RH and lots of FAE), but are the best fruitbodies of the sclerotia producers. You can literally just case straight grain on all 3 if you want simplicity. Plus, even if you have a huge screwup and never get fruits, you're guaranteed stones.

I still haven't come across any mexicana-a, so I can't tell you much about those other than I would expect them to be just as easy to grow as the rest of the sclerotia producers.
  • Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:14 AM

I forgot to mention I have fruited Atl#7, Tampanesis and Jalisco indoors at temps as low as a constant 66 degrees and as high as a constant 82, if you're worried about temps.

My outdoor grows have done fine in the mid 90s, too. Don't worry too much about the temps as long as your RH and FAE are good
  • Jrotten likes this

#6 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:56 PM

I just started to work with semperviva.
So far I have them on agar and got 1 spawn bag of millet going.
Also have mexicana jalisco and atl7 on grain at the moment.
Recently got a hold of pan cyan estero on lc so that will be fun.
And my biggest goal is to fruit my azurescens (hammomd) monotub this fall. Have cardboard/alder chip spawn in sub with golden flax seedlings. I have it inside for the moment and planing on putting it on the outdoor tent this fall. Hopefully Ill get them to fruit.20200828_095317.jpg
  • Jrotten, makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#7 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:23 PM

I like semperviva and it's easy to grow even if you suck like I do if you just wait.  Now I have clones and I've got my first spore to spore attempt with them swabbing.  I desperately need to make subs and LC's or grain.  I'd like something that I can work similarly with along side the semperviva because I really like everything, but the wait for first pins, so that's what I need to sort out.  My "full auto" setup doesn't work in the summer so I've decided to try the limited pan plates I have but I'm not starting any more pans for at least 6-8 weeks.  I also have some weird stuff, like an Active Gym and that sounds fun, but I have nowhere to start and too many things that need sterilizing!

• peacefrog, makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#8 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:40 PM

I'm being humbled this year and learning I have alot to learn. I dare say I may suck.
I'm glad u say that about semperviva as I been following this thinking I'd love to give it a go as I try to branch out.
Makes me want to try it more probably a good suggestion ty jrotten.
  • Jrotten likes this

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2020 - 08:31 AM

Humble is a good teacher........IMHO

I have a NICE compost heap.....

A

• peacefrog, Jrotten, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#10 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 05:34 PM

I join those of you above that have the Tamp varieties Galindoi and Atl#7 in rye jars for the stones (started them around a month

or so ago), in addition to more recent a jar of the Galindoi that I plan to spawn primarily for fruit maybe this week (it's ~99% colonized now).

I also have a Semperviva bag and a cased grain tray in progress that I posted about in the Semp thread.

I nursed a Zapotecorum project all spring, but the little bugger got bacterial on me. I think fungus gnats may have been to blame for introducing it-- it stayed healthy for well over 2 months before futzing out on me, and I saw those little bastards in there so I'm blaming them to make myself feel better. I'll revisit Zaps again after the projects I have going now come to fruition.

I am also optimistic that I will be able to get a hold of some Mexicana spores one day, and hope to give Caerulescens a shot one day as well.

• newmoon, makinbones69 and FunG like this

#11 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,071 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2020 - 09:43 PM

i have been trying to get a zapotecorum print. i had one awhile back. made it so the way to casing it and putting it into fruiting conditions. it sat there for over 2 months and did nothing. absolutely nothing. no pins, no contamination. when i get another print, i'm going to give it a lot more attention.

at the moment just pans and semperviva
  • peacefrog, Jrotten, newmoon and 1 other like this

#12 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 09:58 PM

Currently I'm trying to grow semperviva, mexicana, zapotecorum, and caerulescens on pf style cakes cased in the jars. I've done this successfully with semperviva and mexicana, but don't have previous experience with the other two. I also have a few species of woodlovers in wood chip piles & flower pots outside. Not sure if my climate turns to winter too suddenly for them to fruit, but I'll find out in a month or two.

• peacefrog, Jrotten, Moonless and 2 others like this

#13 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:38 PM

I've got a couple Tampanensis grain jars inoculated from agar wedges.  The growth seems a little slow but it still looks healthy.  I'd like to start some Mexicana Jalisco and Chicon Nindo very soon.

I happen to have a bunch of Semperviva grain jars going following the myceliated grain tek.  The oldest jars are around 4½ months old now.

• Jrotten, Moonless, FunG and 2 others like this

#14 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:19 AM

I am on a long hiatus at the moment, but love the vivas. Just saying. They are easy, as described above and potent little guys too.

Whitethumb! Good to see around these parts. With the zaps, the same thing happen to me. I tried 3 times and got the same results. Just mycelium. I bet you will get um. Good luck with the pans.
  • whitethumb, Arathu, Jrotten and 2 others like this

#15 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:17 AM

I have my hands full with species at the moment. Grain spawn ready of P.semilanceata, P.tasmaniana, G.purpuratus, P.subaeruginosa, P,allenii, P.aztecorum, P.sect zap, P.alutacea, P.semperviva, P.papuana, Pan.cyanescens and Pan bisporus.

I'm still finishing up a one size fits all fruiting chamber to address the needs of all species simultaneously with full automation.

• Jrotten, clumsy, newmoon and 1 other like this

#16 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:45 AM

Working on semperviva on agar, purpuratus spawned to bulk, zapotecorum spawn, subsecotioides spawn, chicon nindo, huautla de jimenez, strain a all mexicana spawn, ps. Ovoid in fruiting indoors, pa. Cyan indoors and a slew of other pan cyans I’ve been working on. Probably missing a couple
  • whitethumb, newmoon, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#17 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 854 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:13 PM

I have my hands full with species at the moment. Grain spawn ready of P.semilanceata, P.tasmaniana, G.purpuratus, P.subaeruginosa, P,allenii, P.aztecorum, P.sect zap, P.alutacea, P.semperviva, P.papuana, Pan.cyanescens and Pan bisporus.

I'm still finishing up a one size fits all fruiting chamber to address the needs of all species simultaneously with full automation.

what are your plans for the G. Purpuratus and papuana? I have spores for both from OHS.

#18 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:40 PM

The gyms are quite easy to fruit. Just agar>grain>woodchips (pasteurized or fermented) and cased with coir/verm. Fructification occurs at temps near or below 20 celcius. The P.papuana are wild sourced prints so I can only speak from experience hunting the species. It is a secondary decomposer in nature fruiting from well rotted wood and black soil humus in beech forests. Contrary to popular belief it does not seem to fruit as prolifically from red clay. I'd consider a bulk mix of straw and soil (perhaps cactus soil) or any well aged wood mulch if you can find it. I've found P.papuana growing from sea level to 1500m ASL in wildly differing conditions. Actually at 1500m they experience hard frosts and snow annually. Coastal populations grow in humid tropical conditions so I think it's safe to say it isn't especially fussy regarding temperature.

• Jrotten, newmoon, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#19 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:43 PM

Spawned that rye jar of Tamp Galindoi to coir today :biggrin:

#20 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 393 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2020 - 06:31 PM

I have semperviva and caerulescens on grain now. That's it. Gonna wait for it to cool

down and then I'll run some zap again.

• whitethumb, Jrotten and newmoon like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!