#21 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,076 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:37 AM

you and be both asura! i just need to get another print. i take it you've tried before?

hey celestial, what are your plans for fruiting zapotecorum substrate wise?

#22 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:26 PM

Would anyone else find it helpful if we started threads for each species that a few of us are working on, like the semperviva one? I wouldn't mind getting brains together about zapotecorum or caerulescens or whatever, might be useful to find & share focused information like that.

• Jrotten, Moonless and coAsTal like this

#23 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:51 PM

As a newer person to this forum, I very much like the idea of having certain "family" threads like the Semperviva, the Pans and such that aim at a particular section of the growing world- somewhere that you can find accurate growing and troubleshooting advice for particular mushrooms.

The Tamps/Mexicana could go together as they are cousins, for example, and they both seem to do well in similar conditions.

And as mentioned, P. Zapotecorum is distinct enough to perhaps warrant its own master thread with a collection of prior threads mentioned on the top post for reference/ease of access (although the collective advice I've seen over time is basically nock them up, wait until you get a few gray hairs somewhere on your body-- then they will start to pin... maybe :tongue: )

In other words, grouping all the types together that grow in very similar conditions into master threads seems like a great idea, since that's probably the most useful way to utilize the information people share, and it's the main reason people are looking into a particular type most times. Plus, it may cut down on the inadvertent partitioning of information that takes place if there were unique threads for similar types.

This way, every primary/family thread would help every viewer regardless of the variety within that group they are going for (Tamp var. Atl#7/Galindoi, Mex var. Jalisco/Chico Nindo, etc...) since advice for one would (likely) work for whatever one you're aiming at in that section.

Just one random opinion from a newer guy though-- it's worth what you paid for it :hug:

• clumsy and newmoon like this

#24 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:09 PM

@newmoon My goal with this thread was to get a general feeling for who was doing what so that might happen. There’s so many exotics I figured we’d see what was active and could go from there.
  • newmoon likes this

#25 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:51 PM

I've been trying various dung, straw and woodlovers, so many crazy/beautiful looking species out there. Anybody growing weraroa, that one looks wild?
  • Jrotten likes this

#26 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:39 PM

I’ve got a jar of grain covered with cyans that’s finally about to find its forever home lol . It will be a long wait for them to fruit next year but hopefully I will have a big well fed bed by then .
I’ve got a martinique that I hope to start next month . A buddy has some stone producers he wants me to work on.
I want to try a P Allenii some day .
  • Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#27 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

For the zap I’m running over a few different options but I have a bag of organic composted humus just sitting in my backyard that I was planning on implementing. Other than that I also have some composted forest material, probably a little verm to fluff it a bit, straw or straw pellets, gypsum, lime. I’m open to suggestions though this is my first run with them.

I have a bag of alleni sitting in my closet about 50% that seems to have stalled

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 03 September 2020 - 10:06 PM.

• whitethumb likes this

#28 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

Jrotten, great idea! Besides pans, woodlovers, and semperviva, which already have active threads, seems from this thread like some people are working with:

- mexicana/tampanensis/galindoi etc

- zapotecorum

- caerulescens

- Gymnopilus spp.

and then a few people are looking at papuana and various others? Are there threads around already that would be good places for group efforts with these, or do you (or whoever) want to make some new ones?

• Jrotten likes this

#29 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:21 PM

I just started some swabs of PS Mexicana var Chicon Nindo on MAE agar last week. I got a spore print in 2012 from the proprietors of this thread.

I never got around to growing them until this year but after several repeat attempts I wasn't able to get the eight year old spores to germinate for me on agar. I located a vendor finally that had these in stock as swabs so I'm trying to get some clean mycelium.

I also have some wood lovers ( cyanescens and cyanofriscosa ) that I haven't germinated yet. Those will be a long term project for me and will take quite a bit of pampering or very keen outdoor placements as I live in an arid environment.

#30 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:21 PM

For Mexicana et al Don Shadow is probably the man to talk to.  He has many threads, but whether he'd prefer that or a communal thread for those I think would be good to ask him.  I think Gyms probably need their own place.  I have spores but no good plan, but I'd do a communal attempt with folks, especially if someone has experience.  Zaps all I know is I paid a lot for a wild print lol.  I would just like to see the threads get going with participation we can get in on.  Like the Semperviva thread took months to really get going, but now there are maybe 10 of us growing them?  We should be seeing flushes all over the place by Halloween I bet!

#31 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:38 PM

I actually recieved a print of huautla de jimenez from what I believe was the first ever domestic grow of it back in 2012. The print was labeled New L because it hadn’t yet been named at the time. I got some super vigorous growth. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a mexicana culture so rhizomorphicAF059FA7-EF37-4B15-A546-A3244727F8C7.jpeg 90D2766A-EF66-400C-BC76-C6CD1B52559C.jpeg
The original grow was by captain future. I also got a more recent print that I’m working on it will be interesting to see how it’s changed through the years

Right now I have a couple quarts colonizing and it’s tearing through it

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 04 September 2020 - 03:40 PM.

• whitethumb, newmoon and makinbones69 like this

#32 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:50 PM

Perhaps it encompasses too much but there is this.

https://mycotopia.ne...co-grow-thread/

#33 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,076 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:54 PM

celestial, that sounds promising. i wish i could add some ideas but my first go at zapotecorum didn't go as planned.

#34 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:54 PM

Good call, I sent DS a pm.

Would anyone want to do a Gymnopilus communal grow thread? I have a G. dilepis culture in the fridge I wouldn't mind trying...

• Jrotten likes this

#35 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:56 PM

I have a bag of alleni sitting in my closet about 50% that seems to have stalled

You might try putting that outside in a flower pot of wood chips - I've found allenii to colonize really quickly in outdoor settings.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#36 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 880 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 06:36 PM

Good call, I sent DS a pm.

Would anyone want to do a Gymnopilus communal grow thread? I have a G. dilepis culture in the fridge I wouldn't mind trying...

I have Gymnopilus Pupuratus spores.  I'll streak some plates this week if you want to do a thing...

#37 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:50 PM

Sweet, Jrotten! I started a new thread. If anyone wants to get in on it it'd be cool if we can get some more documentation on growing that genus!

• Jrotten likes this

#38 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 554 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:32 PM

Y’all are inspiring me to crack open my Caerulescens clone jar. I fought hard to get a tissue sample from the one lone mushroom I was graced with, which I regrettably neglected and lost to a nasty bacteria. That’s all documented in this thread:

https://mycotopia.ne...co-grow-thread/
  • Jrotten, Moonless, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#39 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:58 PM

Lookie what popped up today while I was at work :wub:

TampGalPin9_9.jpg

My very first Tamp Galindoi pins!!

:cool:

• Jrotten, Dabluebonic and YoshiTrainer like this

#40 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:59 PM

7B7F4523-B640-49E1-B436-DB1707C8648F.jpeg
Not sure if there’s an exotics thread here but I have this papuana spawn and some zapo spawn and I made up some humus compost/straw pellets/verm/coir/jiffy mix/gypsum/little bit of sand sub for them. Not sure if that’s gonna be good or no. Anybody here with any experience on papuana?
  • Dabluebonic and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!