• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wonky1

Wonky1

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

I'm not in love with the term "noob" since it rhymes with "boob." But I'm new at this, so I am what I am. Anyways, I'm sure to find our more as I go, but my initial impression from all the surfing and reading all over the web was that a shotgun fruiting chamber was a necessity. Lots of holes! But I'm reviewing the "Magic for the Masses" guide and it seems that the PF Tek fruiting chamber shown there has no holes at all. So I'm seeing fruiting chambers with: 

• holes everywhere, 
  • recommendations for just a very few holes, 
  • few holes and covered or plugged with polyfill or micropore tape, or 
  • no holes at all.  

I guess a scientist would conduct trials in various conditions to see what works best, but is there anything close to consensus on how best to configure the fruiting chamber for PF cakes? Or is this like the "what's the best motor oil" thread on the car forums that always cause endless debate? Much appreciate the opinions, experience, and guidance from the gang!

• FunG and xlcor like this

#2 snottybrood

snottybrood

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 12:07 AM

I would also like some clarification. Neglect Tek is a trash bag lined cardboard box, with black plastic sheeting on top, lol. I have seen intense fruiting chambers on pinterest, which I love, but is there a "best"?

• Wonky1 likes this

#3 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:08 PM

Wonky,

I moved your post to this forum as you will probably get more advice here.

I will start it off if I may. The SGFC is an older FC for cakes invented by a very talented mycologist who went by the name Roger Rabbit or RR. It will work, but was really designed and functions at 100 percent when packed full of cakes. If you buy a large tote, spend all of that time drilling holes but only put a couple of cakes in there, well you will most likely have issues IME. It is a set it and forget it setup for the most part. But it does require a bit of maintenance and experience with fruiting to tell what the cakes need. You still may need to mist from time to time and knowing when or if to do that so takes a little bit of experience and in my case failure lol. A lot of new growers report issues using them. I have used it a handful of times and it never really did it for me. More work than it was worth for me personally. But it will work fine if treated and maintained properly.

On the other end of the spectrum is the so called “choke chamber” as they are called today. No holes no true fresh air exchange except fanning 3-5 times a day. These will work too, especially with cubes, which tolerate high CO2 levels pretty well compared to other popular grown species. This was the standard when I started, I used them and I grew mushrooms. You may have some overly fuzzy feet, smaller caps, stringer stems but they will produce mushrooms for you.

And of course there are many variations in between. Automated setups, holes here, holes there etc. The only best FC is the one that works for you.

My advice would be, if starting with cakes, do the unmodified “choke chamber” the first time just to get a feel for what makes them tick. Post pics here or any other OMC you wish and ask questions. Once you learn them and what makes them happy, it becomes easier to branch out and experiment with different FC designs. That way you don’t spend a bunch of money and time on the FC that may or may not work properly with your setup at first. A cheap clear plastic tote, decent light source, perlite if you want to go that route, and a spray bottle is really all you need for a cheap FC that WILL work for cubes.

I hope this helps.

Good vibes!
  • coorsmikey, Arathu, jkdeth and 3 others like this

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,393 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Peacefrog! That was beautiful. I must add that I was thrown off a bit from the title PF Tek Fruiting Chamber: Compare! The actual "PF Tek" chamber is a choke chamber per se, as It was literally a glass aquarium with a plexiglass spray shield laying diagonal and a glass or plexiglass lid. Still after all these years reinventing the wheel, for someone only growing a few cakes I have yet to see any setup that has been proven to work substantially better.

• whitethumb, Arathu, peacefrog and 2 others like this

#5 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:06 PM

Amen to that Mikey. That “choke chamber” design worked just fine for me as well.
  • whitethumb and Wonky1 like this

#6 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,091 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:33 PM

and worked fine for me too. it served it's purpose for a time.
  • peacefrog and Wonky1 like this

#7 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 785 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:06 PM

These work well for just a few cakes.
https://mycotopia.ne...-2#entry1255501

In fact you cant fit more than 6 in each one.

#8 Wonky1

Wonky1

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:50 AM

I will start it off if I may. The SGFC is an older FC for cakes invented by a very talented mycologist who went by the name Roger Rabbit or RR. It will work, but was really designed and functions at 100 percent when packed full of cakes. If you buy a large tote, spend all of that time drilling holes but only put a couple of cakes in there, well you will most likely have issues IME. It is a set it and forget it setup for the most part. But it does require a bit of maintenance and experience with fruiting to tell what the cakes need. You still may need to mist from time to time and knowing when or if to do that so takes a little bit of experience and in my case failure lol. A lot of new growers report issues using them. I have used it a handful of times and it never really did it for me. More work than it was worth for me personally. But it will work fine if treated and maintained properly.

On the other end of the spectrum is the so called “choke chamber” as they are called today. No holes no true fresh air exchange except fanning 3-5 times a day. These will work too, especially with cubes, which tolerate high CO2 levels pretty well compared to other popular grown species. This was the standard when I started, I used them and I grew mushrooms. You may have some overly fuzzy feet, smaller caps, stringer stems but they will produce mushrooms for you.

And of course there are many variations in between. Automated setups, holes here, holes there etc. The only best FC is the one that works for you.

My advice would be, if starting with cakes, do the unmodified “choke chamber” the first time just to get a feel for what makes them tick. Post pics here or any other OMC you wish and ask questions. Once you learn them and what makes them happy, it becomes easier to branch out and experiment with different FC designs. That way you don’t spend a bunch of money and time on the FC that may or may not work properly with your setup at first. A cheap clear plastic tote, decent light source, perlite if you want to go that route, and a spray bottle is really all you need for a cheap FC that WILL work for cubes.

I hope this helps.

Good vibes!

I don't think I ever thanked you for this helpful reply. I guess I'm using a "choke chamber"! Many of my GT mushrooms have had very "fuzzy feet" - and quite a few aborts - but as you said, I am getting mushrooms, so no complaints considering I'm at an early stage of this journey. Many thanks again for your guidance and patience, Peacefrog!

#9 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:54 PM

I love when people post the various pictures of their custom choke chambers. It inspired me to try simply laying a cake down on its side so it could fit into a small Tupperware container. Left the lid cracked and did the old fan and mist a couple times a day. She fruited.

Heck on that same batch I "threw" out a couple jars that looked like they had some contamination. Tied the plastic bag shut and set it by the door and forgot about it. When I went to pick it up a few days later one of the largest mushrooms I have grown had sprouted inside the yellow bag. No clear air flow for days in there.

• Wonky1 likes this

#10 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 785 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:38 PM

I hope this helps.
Good vibes!

I don't think I ever thanked you for this helpful reply. I guess I'm using a "choke chamber"! Many of my GT mushrooms have had very "fuzzy feet" - and quite a few aborts - but as you said, I am getting mushrooms, so no complaints considering I'm at an early stage of this journey. Many thanks again for your guidance and patience, Peacefrog!
So what did you end up using for your "choke chamber"?
Did you try to calculate a specific volume or just eyeball something you think will work? I based mine off of the chronic tek and figured out the volume of the containers was pretty close to the numbers used in the chronic tek. Same for the 1 gal ice cream buckets.

If you ever have any problems due to low FAE, contamination or overly stretched stems for instance, you can always pop a few holes in there. Smaller chambers dont need a ton of holes.

Edited by pastyoureyes, 30 September 2020 - 06:39 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!