• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wonky1

Wonky1

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

Like lots of folks, I had serious trouble finding an affordable pressure canner. Sure there are price gougers on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace etc.  Discouraging for sure. So I thought I would share my recent experience. On Amazon, the Mirro 22 quart model 92122A ($79)  is listed as "Out of Stock." However Amazon does allow you to pre-purchase the item and they will ship when they get more in stock. So I took a chance - not knowing how long that might take. Well, one week after putting it in my cart and paying, I received a note saying that it will arrive in about 5 days. Not too bad at all considering that I've seen folks selling these locally for upwards of $200.  Also worth noting, Amazon doesn't charge you for the item until it ships. Just thought it might be worth letting y'all know that it worked for me! Now all I have to do is explain to my wife why I needed more "stuff."

• Juthro likes this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,116 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:04 PM

Congrats on your purchase! 

You might think about also ordering a spare gasket as well, before your wife finds out :)  It's good to have one on hand, before you find out that you need it.

• FunG and Wonky1 like this

#3 xlcor

xlcor

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:41 PM

Damn! 22 quarts for $79... I just purchased a 10 qt for $112. Too bad America's out right now, I was really hoping to grab one of their products. Congrats on your PC though! Keep us updated on how it works for you!

• Wonky1 likes this

#4 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:44 AM

Like Juthro said, order a spare gasket just incase if it was a used PC. 79bucks is damn cheap for a mirro.... I've owned several 22qt mirro's in the past and recently went with a t-fal 22qt (also made by mirro) they're very good pressure cookers you should have a good peace of mind about sterilizing grain spawn with one.
  • Wonky1 likes this

#5 Wonky1

Wonky1

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:42 AM

Well, it looks like gaskets might also be in short supply. I've only started to look, but lots of "out of stock" signs out there! Maybe once fall canning season is done there will be a few more options out there!

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

I recently ordered new gaskets... I was trying to order two new cookers but could not find them with the shortages. I ordered gaskets but the only ones that were not way over priced on Amazon seemed to be ones from sellers that were a little slower on the draw with the delivery... I ordered a couple gaskets, which should be here next week...

Two of my cookers are a little older and a former roommate, who has passed away in a horrific accident two February's ago as a direct result of a meth induced psychosis after a relapse... On my way out of the house that night, I told him he would have to move out and that I could not overlook that he was clearly getting high on things that some of our friends, myself included, would prefer to not be around... The two friends who were staying with me at the time were both fresh out of treatment and while meth was not the drug of choice for other friend, who is still doing well, it was not fair to be using drugs around him... Reefer was fine even though he had a tendency to over do that even... I digress...

That friend caused some damage to two of my cookers which have warped a little on the bottom... It is either from letting the pressure drop too quickly by removing the rocker while the pressure was still high or it was from him falling asleep while running jars with them running out of water... Maybe someone can tell me which of these scenarios would result in a bulging bottom on the cooker or if both may have played a factor. I was at work so I am making some assumptions...

Those two cooker still work but I would like to get two more. I ordered the Mirro's off Amazon as you have. I have never owned a Mirro and I am curious as to how I will like them.

I was not as lucky as you... I ordered them a few days ago and have not yet received my email... :-(

I nearly ordered a 41qt All American unit... I have always wanted one of the electric models but they are sooooo frickin expensive... I nearly pulled the trigger on the stove top model but decided against it because of the custom, 30 gal unit I recently commissioned. It is pretty much complete but I will have to get it shipped up here using a freight shipping company... I will also need to have an electrician out since it runs off of a hot tub plug... This thing will be 30 gal, with self regulating heating implement, and a timer that will shut her down after 90 min at temp... It will be pretty frickin awesome and 100% necessary when I get the mushroom fruiting barn that I have been looking into built! I decided not to spend the money on an AA unit that will likely get only occasional use or only LC/syringe sterilization use one the big unit gets here...

psyched!

Edited by PJammer24, 03 September 2020 - 12:31 PM.

• Wonky1 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!