5 replies to this topic

#1 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:55 PM

Hello,

I've not been able to locate 91% or 70% isopropyl alcohol at any of my local stores for months now due to COVID. I've not been making trips to the store explicitly for it but whenever I go I usually stroll past the isle and the shelves are always empty. There seems to be a few price gouged options on Amazon or eBay but I'm not inclined to go that route since I know there are other surface sterilizers out there. I've also stumbled onto a few medical, dental, or veterinary supply sites that have IPA but have restricted user account creation to existing users only.

I'm curious if others are starting to look to alternate means for surface sterilization / glove sterilization and if so what?

Lysol and bleach in varying dilutions are relatively common i feel like. I don't really prefer to use either though since Lysol causes, or has been said to cause, mutations in fungi. I have a sensitive nose to bleach and it gives me a headache but I do use it when I have to. I've found it sucks to clean my SAB or tubs with bleach cause if you don't change into a throw away set of clothing your bound to find discolorations on your cloths.

I was thinking about possibly going the route of Sani-T-10 or BTF Iodophor. BTF Iodophor seems to be more cost effective per ml/oz/gal based on costs I've looked up after shipping. Looks like a 32oz bottle of Iodophor will make 320 gallons at the 12.5ppm concentration that does not require rinsing. I've not had any experience with these though.

Any input or suggestions welcomed,
Thanks

Edited by DetritusTheEgo, 01 September 2020 - 06:55 PM.

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,349 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:01 PM

Everclear. Available at liquor stores if your state allows the sale.

Star San is an effective contact surface sanitizer as well. It's quick, re-usable, food safe, and effective.

I have lots of India Pale Ale - commonly abbreviated IPA - on-hand as well. ;)

Edited by Myc, 01 September 2020 - 09:15 PM.

• Juthro, peacefrog, DetritusTheEgo and 2 others like this

#3 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:08 PM

Everclear. Available at liquor stores if your state allows the sale.
Star San is an effective contact surface sanitizer as well. It's quick, re-usable, food safe, and effective.

I have lots of India Pale Ale - commonly abbreviated IPA - on-hand as well. ;)

My state does allow Everclear as I've used it to Rick Simpson Oil in the past. I'll have to stop by the local mart and see if others are buying it all up for similar DIY sani-purposes.

Looks like they say to keep exposure to soft metals, rubber and plastic to a minimum with Star San since it's so acidic. Have you had issues with PP5 plastic and Star San at all? I use those white PP5 lids for my glass jars and PP5 containers for no pour agar.

There is definitely no shortage of beer IPA around yet... Pfft stores should start putting cases of IPA on the empty shelf where isopropyl alcohol usually is. I bet they'd sell a few extra cases for the product placement.
  • Myc likes this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,349 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:19 PM

I've only used the Star San on glass - so I cannot account for its use on plastics. But with only two minutes of surface contact to be effective - and the fact that it is ineffective after 24 hours - I would guess that damage will be minimal unless you intend to place the cleaned vessels under pressure. Just me guessing. Your mileage may vary.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:15 AM

It can be found easily on Amazon if it is not in your local stores. Here, I have been seeing it in stores but I typically stock up on 70%, buying it by the case, using Amazon...

Try to stick with 70% for disinfecting...   >90% is better suited to stripping viscus and sticky materials... The 70% formula is better for disinfecting... As I recall, it allows the cell wall to be penetrated more easily aiding in killing off the baddies.

#6 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:36 PM

I only use 91% for none sanitization purposes like cleaning up left over tape gunk or cleaning off sharpie from glass / tubs. I had a buddy that does Chinese medicine tell me about the superiority of 70% isopropyl for denaturing proteins of the baddies a few years back. He made it seem like more water in 70% acts to both potentiate the process and aid to extend the evaporation time frame that 91% lacks. Luckily I primarily used 70% at the time cause it was cheaper anyways...

Do you have a link for the 70% isopropyl you usually buy off Amazon? Out of curiosity what was the price of your last purchase?

I saw single 32oz bottles on there for $24 a few weeks back. I just found some 32oz bottles for $5.15 tonight but the vendors ratings all suck. Most of them are all third party vendors and have less than 70% positive ratings in past 12 months. Looks like it's come down a bit since I looked last at least!

Edited by DetritusTheEgo, 02 September 2020 - 11:37 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!