• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lurch420

lurch420

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:46 AM

first time growin pans and in need of a mentor. Or atheist someone that has the patience to answer a billion questions from a noob. I have a flow hood premix agar powder, lc premix powder, a few petri dishes, a empty brain to fill with info, and some spores. Who's up for the challenge to help a noob?
  • Boebs likes this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,503 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:02 AM

Welcome lurch !

Glad you joined us. Noob questions are a standard right of passage here. You have one more post to make here in the welcome mat and then you are a free member. If you like, we can move this thread at that time for you over to the magic mushroom forum where you will get more views and responses.

There is also an entire archive full of answers for anyone to search......

(edit) You hit 3 posts while I was writing this, so you are officially free now to start posts or reply in all the forums. I have moved this thread over to the magic mushroom forum for you)  :biggrin:

Edited by Skywatcher, 03 September 2020 - 09:09 AM.

#3 Randys67

Randys67

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:32 AM

Been growing full time a year.  If I can help, I sure will.

#4 lurch420

lurch420

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:40 PM

Thank you guys for the warm welcome, and for moving my post. I guess my first questions are as followed.

1. I knocked up some grain with a Goliath strain 2 weeks ago I see nothing. Something wrong?

2. I also knocked up some agar with a aus strain ive seen 3 different things.
A. What I think is contams.
B. Some really cotton looking stuff.
C. Some transparent looking growth.

3. No matter how clean I get my lc jar I still end up with floaties in it and the next day it looks like floating pieces of sand. Is this normal?20200903_114242.jpg 20200903_114242.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200903_114250.jpg

Edited by lurch420, 03 September 2020 - 12:45 PM.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

Thank you guys for the warm welcome, and for moving my post. I guess my first questions are as followed.

1. I knocked up some grain with a Goliath strain 2 weeks ago I see nothing. Something wrong?

2. I also knocked up some agar with a aus strain ive seen 3 different things.
A. What I think is contams.
B. Some really cotton looking stuff.
C. Some transparent looking growth.

3. No matter how clean I get my lc jar I still end up with floaties in it and the next day it looks like floating pieces of sand. Is this normal?

If you are looking for a mentor or mentors, you have come to the right place... I would start a new thread and document your process... You will be able to ask questions and interact with all of the members which will provide different perspectives... There is more than one way to skin a cat...

If you are not seeing anything in the grain jar and definitely if you are not seeing it on the agar, your spore syringe was not viable... In the summer months, if spores are left in a mailbox or vehicle and they get too hot, they can be rendered nonviable.

Likely, your agar that is showing three different things includes some mushroom mycelium but also two spots that have contaminated. You can clean this up by taking a wedge from the healthy mycelium and moving it to a second agar plate. Likely, the cottony looking stuff is the mushroom mycelim. The clear stuff could be bacteria or some other competitor... I often think the translucent growths are either bacteria or yeast but yeast is just a relatively uneducated guess...

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:53 PM

You may want to run some tests with your flow hood... If you are getting contaminated agar plates, you may not be acheiving full laminar flow across the entire work area... I would suggest setting a few fresh agar plates across the work area in front of your unit... Let them sit for a period and then put them away to see if they develop any growth... If you start seeing growth, the flow hood has some eddies and is not providing a sterile work environment... In some cases, you can figure out what side or section of your hood is not producing laminar flow and still be able to do sterile work on the other side of the unit...

#7 lurch420

lurch420

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:08 PM

Yeah I figured that the two spots was contams the picture shows my first attempt at isolating the cotton looking stuff to a new dish the 2 spots showed up last night gave me a good photo op for both in one dish.

Rather its yeast or anything besides myc its a contam. And will be dealt with accordingly. That sucks if that sticker was not viable that was the strain I was most excited about. I have one more sticker of it so all is not lost YET.

If there is no growth or contams in the grain bag can i put it back in the pc for 2 hours and reuse? Or should I just throw it out and order a new batch?

And is the floaties in my lc normal?

I will try your idea with the flow hood. But I think the contams are of my own doing. I do have a big gap in the back that needs to be plugged up thinking not enough pressure thru the filter itself ill get that hole plugged up just ran out of stuff to plug the holes

Edited by lurch420, 03 September 2020 - 01:15 PM.

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

I meant to include this is my last post... If there is a little bit of sediment on the bottom of your jar when using one of those powdered LC mixes, it is really nothing to worry about... I typically get a little sediment when using a powdered mix.

By "sticker" you mean syringe? The only other option for the spores not germinating, that i can think of, is that there were no spores in there to start with which less likely.

I would no reuse grain that did not colonize... After allowing it to sit and then throwing in the PC again, you could potentially have issues with the water content. I have done this in the past and found them to colonize slowly with mycelium that does not want to consolidate (whispy) or that the grain does not want to fully colonize and stalls. In most cases, the grains appeared to be too dry by the process's end.

If you have a PC, why are your ordering your spawn? I would just get some mason jars or some mushroom bags with filters... I like to use .2 micron bags for spawn but know of some people with good results using .5 micron bags... I fruit in 5 micron bags since they allow better air exchange. You can fruit in the bags with smaller filter sizes also. Once fully colonized, they are pretty damn contam resistant unless your house is a spore filled mess. Since they are resistant, you can simply poke some additional holes in the bag and fill with some polyfill as needed to adjust the humidity/FAE... Good ole sandman pokes his holes using a broad-head arrow!

#9 lurch420

lurch420

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

I just ordered the spawn when I ordered everything else was nothing to just add it to the cart to get the show on the road

Wow sealing up those small cracks did alot for air flow wow I thought they were no issue they were so small you couldn't fit a piece of paper in them i got 25% ish more flow so the wind meter says

I dont know about my house being a moldy mess. I do live in a offgrid log cabin out in the middle of no whereville. As soon as I can i will order a grow tent to kinda seal off a clean area i can work in maybe that will also help in keeping contams down too. Kinda like a flowhood in a still air box

Edited by lurch420, 03 September 2020 - 03:05 PM.

#10 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,503 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

Just trying to get you pointed the right direction................ :wink:

Pictures are really helpful, even a necessity in most cases. You do need to reduce the size though. I could not even open one of your last ones. It just keeps trying to load when they are too big. The ideal size for posting is a resolution of 72,

and around 720 x  720. If you don't have any photo editing software, just reducing to a normal web compatable size is going to assure that anyone can open it to the full size to see detail....

You are in good hands already !

• Arathu likes this

#11 lurch420

lurch420

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:12 PM

sorry for the large pictures I took them with my phone and didn't realize they were so large I will see what I can do to shrink them down

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,305 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:35 PM

Any photo opened in the MS Paint application can be resized to pretty much whatever you want.....just an FYI.........

I make everything I post 1024 X 768........using paint.net

I'm on a PC though....

A

Edited by Arathu, 03 September 2020 - 03:35 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!