54 replies to this topic

#1 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:49 PM

Anyone want to try to grow some Gyms?

Here's an old thread with good information from Teonanacatl38, buteo, and others.

mycot had a grow, as did (of course) CaptainFuture.

In general, it seems like people have succeeded using substrates of wood chips and sawdust supplemented with grain, bran, and soil. Casings appear to be standard (coir, soil, etc), and reported fruiting temperatures range from below 20C (68F) to 27C (80F). Several people report that Gyms are fairly easy to fruit.

I have a culture which I started a while ago from what I was told were G. dilepis spores. I'll get that out of the fridge and put it on some new plates in the next few days here. It'd be cool if we could build up some knowledge and documentation about growing these!

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 01:13 AM

Getting in. I needed a reason to streak these spores. Fingers crossed! I’ll report when I have something to report :)

#3 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:15 PM

Streaked 3 plates with what are supposed to be Gymnopulis Purpuratus. Orange spores were a trip. Hopefully I’ve got something to talk about in a week or so.
  • newmoon, Salty117 and YoshiTrainer like this

#4 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

I just swabbed plates with purpuratus and junionus(not sure if I’m spelling that one correctly.
  • Jrotten, newmoon and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

I just swabbed plates with purpuratus and junionus(not sure if I’m spelling that one correctly.
  • Jrotten likes this

#6 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:48 AM

So, assuming the spores germ out, I’m about to sand a virgin oak floor and I live under a canopies of oaks so the ground is basically oak litter and clay. I think I’m going to try at least two trays just on what comes from my yard as well as the eggar method for wood lovers. I have several decaying stumps. If I could inoculate my yard that would be fantastic, but I doubt anything survives a summer here!
  • coorsmikey, newmoon and YoshiTrainer like this

#7 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:10 PM

Swabbed 6 days ago, not full germination yet, but definitely some.  Keeping the plates at 75F and I've been using a 75/25 corn syrup/malt mix for my agar because that's my LC for other grows.  It may not be the ideal recipe for germinating Gyms or maybe I'm just impatient and need more things in trays and fewer on plates!  I'll be collecting a few pounds of oak sawdust over the next few days.  I've got so much scrap from this floor I'm working on I wish I had a wood chipper and I'd be set for life! 

I'm really excited for this even if I probably won't be eating many.  They're just so pretty and different than anything I've tried to grow!  Does anyone have thoughts about the speed of Gyms to grow out?

Edited by Jrotten, 11 September 2020 - 02:43 PM.

• coorsmikey, makinbones69 and Salty117 like this

#8 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:36 AM

And today I collected a trash bag work of red oak saw dust from sanding a floor. I also have oak litter everywhere. I haven’t sorted my plan, but I think I might transfer just to verify clean culture. I’m still getting germination so it’s hard to figure out what to transfer just yet.

I’m leaning towards WBS spawn to a coir/sawdust combination depending on texture. Potentially oat bran or spent coffee. Probably a very low tech FC.
  • coorsmikey, makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#9 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

I made some purpuratus spawn and spawned to my usuall woodlover mix of fur bark, oak and alder chips and it colonized about 80% and stalled after about two more weeks it was 100% and I cased it. I had it in a shoebox with some other totes in the closet and it’s been about a week with no signs yet. It did start to grow through the casing a bit. I’m thinking I should have implemented some humus compost. I made some all in one myco bags which I sterilized with oak pellets, fir bark, alder chips and a little humus compost and wheat bran. I’m thinking the bag might do better. I have to remake my LC since I had only made a small vial for one jar. Since this thread opened I put junionus on agar as well and will be making an LC too. Hopefully I’ll have something to contribute. Good luck everyone. This is one of the lesser perused species and I’m glad this thread has been made.
  • coorsmikey, Salty117 and YoshiTrainer like this

#10 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,374 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

I have tried growing purpuratus for months both in bags and totes.  I had 2 fruits.  Someone in Australia told me they dont need  a casing and a lot of fresh air exchange.  I have a wood chip bag emptied into a tote now and will see what happens.

• coorsmikey, Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#11 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

I have tried growing purpuratus for months both in bags and totes.  I had 2 fruits.  Someone in Australia told me they dont need  a casing and a lot of fresh air exchange.  I have a wood chip bag emptied into a tote now and will see what happens.

What has been your sub and temperatures?  The myc seems slow on the germ plates, but it may just not like the recipe or I'm used to semperviva which is really fast.  I have about 10 gallons of red oak sawdust from a floor I just sanded (virgin, no chemicals), but I'm not real sure what I should be doing.  I was thinking coir and sawdust with a 3:1 WBS spawn.

#12 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,374 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:08 PM

I grow in bags with wood chips and hard wood sawdust then put in a tote.  I havent mixed in a substrate.  Thet fruit on wood without a sub I believe.  Still trying.

Edited by Seeker2be, 15 September 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#13 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:15 PM

So your only using wood then?/\

I’m thinking they might grow good in theFC I use for mexicana:2E232D68-5FBF-4109-A324-9C6FC2F3A344.jpeg
It has two air pumps with 4 8in stones and 4 4in stones and a pc fan on a timer. For pans I would use a heating pad underneath to raise the temp all the way to 78-79 but these I suspect would do better in room temp or so I have heard(unverified)

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 15 September 2020 - 08:16 PM.

• Jrotten, makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#14 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:01 AM

12 days since swabbing I took a transfer from each of 3 germ plates. All 6 plates are in the incubator.  No signs of bacteria, but uneven germination of the spores makes it hard to choose a colony.  If something seems especially aggressive on a germ plate in the next few days I'll take another transfer, but for now I just took one small and 2 large wedges for T1  at this stage all mycelium looks relatively uniform.  I would say I got full germination, but it was spread over almost a week so what is fast and what was early is just too much to tell. I'm leaning heavy towards coir/oak sawdust/verm/bran at a heavy spawn rate in sterile bags.  I also want to try some non sterile techniques using yard material since I live in an old oak stand bordered by livestock.  It's essentially a flood plain.  I have so many fungi everywhere I feel like my "yard" waste might be an ideal substrate and if that's the case maybe the easily watered parts of my yard could sustain colonies.

Edited by Jrotten, 17 September 2020 - 11:02 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#15 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:00 PM

Transfers are actually recovering quickly. I think the nature of gym spores and my inexperience lead me to over inoculate the plates. With more room what I felt was “slow” may have just been overcrowded.

Tonight I tested the substrate I’ve had in mind. It was kind of nuts. Bone dry I added

170g coir
170g red oak sawdust
60g wheat bran.

And when I started adding water I wound up just over 2kg. That.’a 80% water by weight but it’s still completely fluffy and airy. This will be at least one sub I try. The only question in my mind really is how to implement it, but I’m leaning strongly towards grain spawn.

Edited by Jrotten, 19 September 2020 - 11:02 PM.

#16 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:00 AM

The gym purp is fast on grain and when I spawned it to the wood it nearly colonized in a little over a week. It did stall out near the end though and for some reason never really recovered. It did finish out though and I dumped it into a shoebox where it didn’t do much better but I seeing how my cyanescens did when I added the humus compost in the mix I gave that a try with the gym and it’s actually starting to recover and the myc is coming alive again. With the cyanescens I took fresh oak bark and the humus compost and hydrated and spawned two pints of grain spawn to 4lb. In 4 days it’s here now.0B501641-1F51-47F9-A9D4-5CD7B3AB49D1.jpeg

I just started more grain spawn of the gym purp the other day because I don’t trust the shoebox won’t stall out again and I’m going to do 40/35 oak bark and fir bark 15 alder pellets and 10 humus compost. Also the wheat bran doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all I have that mix soaking right now I’ll probably add the bran also.then spawn the grain to mycobags. Still running over FC ideas...

#17 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:44 AM

I have two FC’s, one is just lots of FAE and super high nudity around 76F. I grow Semperviva in it. It’s sort of like Don’s Shadow box, but different.

#18 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 642 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:32 AM

super high nudity

Is there any other kind?! :)
  • Jrotten and Salty117 like this

#19 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

Is that the air pump box? With the petite and pc fan?

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 20 September 2020 - 12:41 PM.

• Jrotten likes this

#20 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:52 PM

Life's weirdness has been pretty strong for me lately, but tonight I'll finally get those G. dilepis transfers going. Pulled the plate out of the fridge, hopefully I'll be able to catch up to y'all!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!