• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:40 PM

Is that the air pump box? With the petite and pc fan?

That is. Mine is a large storage bin not a sterlite type tote. My hole and fan configuration are different and I just use water with an aquarium heater in the bottom, no perlite. Multicolored adjustable LED light hot glued inside to the lid. A couple of 6” air stones. It will do basically 100% humidity with constant fresh air then the fan allows me to cycle humidity.

All I’ve ever grow in it is Semperviva, which grows quite well.

Edited by Jrotten, 21 September 2020 - 07:42 PM.

#22 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:16 PM

Inoculated jars last night with more g.purp LC and tonight looked at it and the mycelium already took to it. My gym junionus germ plate has yet to show germination just like the last one so not sure what to do about that. Might try a high nute plate
  • Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#23 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:25 PM

I have the same tub also I use mainly for mexicana. Just put sempV to a plate tonight again on my third print with that but at least this print I know for certain is fresh so without a doubt I’ll be running that soon as well.

#24 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

My T1 plates are moving fairly quick after a slowish recovery.  There seems to be 2 distinct forms of mycelium.  One cottony, uniform.  One is not rhizomorphic for sure but seems to grow with more linear features?  I'm not sure if I should just grow it all out or try to select.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#25 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:26 AM

The bran/bark/chips bags I made are showing good growth and the grain as well. The shoebox I had that stalled out finally contaminated. Got a 250ml multiculture LC now though so I’m in this game.

#26 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:01 PM

1FE8491A-4605-4AB0-88D7-CDA074974DF5.jpeg 1F1C754E-7252-47B7-BFB8-68ABB2B2087D.jpeg
Gym purp. To shake or not to shake.

#27 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:03 PM

Not sure if I should choose one section over another or just grow the whole thing out and use it all...

Attached Thumbnails

• EA059FC6-C3C4-46D9-9937-F61EBB0977E2.jpeg

#28 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:12 PM

I did a multi culture. Chose all the best looking growths from the germ plate, T1ed em in the center and wiped the syringe needle around the outside of the whole colony and shot that into an LC mix.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 26 September 2020 - 09:13 PM.

#29 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:35 PM

My transfers are starting to move to the new agar! Assuming things go well I'm thinking I might try bottle cultures on sawdust & oats.

• Jrotten likes this

#30 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:56 PM

It took 13 days but looks like one spore on the gym J germ plate germed. The bulk bag is nearing completion of gym purp and two grain quarts as well. This time for the spawn I’m gonna do pine bark pretty fresh from a fallen down tree I broke it up as fine as I could, fir bark(reptibark), alderpellets, little compost. I’m letting the bark soak for a couple days right now. Gonna use that for some subsecotioides and subaeruginosa spawn as well.

#31 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:17 PM

8F911884-85EC-46FE-9C2A-DD4BD4869FE0.jpeg
Bulk bag looks good probably 4 more days to recover after this last shake a couple days ago and I’ll be spawning this one to a tray.
BBF1A07D-928E-4C1A-82F7-13949109CABC.jpeg two quarts are looking good after the last shake as well. Soaking the wood now, won’t be long for these either. The perfected method for me has been so far the bulk bags. Much much faster than just grain and counting days the bulk beats it easy. Moving forward with the gym J this will be the method I use now.

#32 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:52 PM

I’m trying a sloppy no prep bag with small amounts of grain. I’ve been backing away from straight grain spawn and doing direct inoculation of bags, but the sawdust sub I’m experimenting with still has me on the fence about hydration and I’m out of LC jars at the moment anyway. I have yet to decide whether I want to use whole plates and let them compete or select what looks to me like desirable growth. MS fruiting to clone is what I’d normally pursue, but I’m not sure how far I’m planning to go with these gyms. Or how far I can get them.

#33 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:31 PM

Does anyone know what spawn ratios might be? Can’t really find anything about that with specifics. Making the sub up now enough for a 1:3 but will probably end up doing 1:2 if I can’t find anything telling me otherwise. I can’t believe how good the bulk bag looks in comparison. The more I do bulk bags the more I feel that’s just the way to go with most. I wasted a lot of time lately with trying spawn with a lot of species.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 02 October 2020 - 11:32 PM.

#34 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

I have no clue. I just put wedges to grain and realized I’m probably making this my last grow for a minute. 1:3 is what I plan on if the spawn grows out but I have some medical issues that came on suddenly and I just realized how foggy my thinking and clumsy my process is. Maybe I’m just being negative, IDK. I have a bulk bag with a different species that I crumbled yesterday to form better to a tray and it is recovering well today. That recipe is maybe too rich for an actual woodlover, but it is about 1/3L grain to 1.2L of sub total making it 1:3 and it is very heavy on lignin using sawdust and coir. The amount of water it can hold and the about of lignin plus nutrients it contains makes me believe it would be capable of pushing a lot of fruits for a species that grows in soil containing woody debris. The question becomes is this a species that won’t fruit until nutrients get low?

Edited by Jrotten, 03 October 2020 - 10:42 AM.

#35 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

That’s what I was thinking too. It looks like it can digest the grain ok at least. I know last time I spawned the gym it colonized 80% and stopped and I gave it a shake 5 days after the stall and it took 9-10 days to recover and complete the bag and the sub I had used that time was just wood. This time I added topsoil made from forest debris and a little jiffy mix so maybe that filler will be good. Possibly it became too much to digest for the myc maybe too high in nutrition. So based on that experience there a good chance your right. Low nute may be the way to go.

By the way I hope everything works out for ya man. I’ve been through illness it’s horrible and I hope it’s nothing serious. From what I’ve seen from my short time on the topia you contribute a lot here so I hope ya come back or it all turns out ok.

#36 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:09 PM

AF6CC29C-89A5-4A4C-BFA6-442DDBDB9E67.jpeg FBC67DC1-1A46-4617-9582-323A7284A3CC.jpeg
I’ma let this bad beautiful a hunk a hunk a burnin love consolidate for a couple days and then into the recovery tray for 3 days maybe case it on the second depending on how it’s doing let that sit for a day or two and fruit this mother lover. Hopefully have some gyms for ya guys soonish.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 03 October 2020 - 04:14 PM.

#37 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:15 PM

That's pretty.  My small grain bags sprang to life over the last couple of days.  I did a real sloppy no prep in bags that I have never even considered and really thought it was hopeless, but it seems they were just a little slow to recover and now appear to be spreading out.  I might have to figure out what to do next after all.

What temperatures have you been using for incubation?  My bags really seemed to appreciate being kept a bit warmer... around 74F

#38 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:56 AM

Just room temp about 72f. Yesturday I broke down the bag into a small tray and I’ll let that recover for a few days to a week. Time to start thinking about casing. I’m thinking probably mostly jiffy mix/verm/little sand open to ideas as well

#39 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

Dropped some agar wedges into jars of sawdust & oats the other day - this year, for whatever reason, I'm doing everything in the slowest possible way. Hopefully they'll colonize ok, imagine it'll take a while.

#40 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:09 PM

I put a standard jiffy/verm casing on the purpuratus tray a couple days ago and put into fruiting today after seeing it come through the casing a little. Have in a tub like my pan tub.bout 74f should be alright. I’ve seen 20-24c in grow logs a lot for gyms.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!