• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 11:20 PM

So how is everyone’s gym projects going?

I have one shoebox I’ve been trying to fruit. Moving it to the fridge at night and under a light in room temp by day. And then a mini mono on day 6 I believe28D28F8D-606F-4625-BA94-13B172326684.jpeg
  • makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#62 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 01:33 PM

I'm afraid I spawned too light on the healthiest bag or that the .2 micron bag might suffocate it.  I let it colonize a bit then treated it like a cube bag and mixed it more so right now it's just sitting.  I have 4 half pints that were slow to colonize.  I want to try one of the nonsterile methods for wood lovers.  If anyone has suggestions for how to do that I'm all ears.  I have oak trees and logs and twigs in ever possible state of decay since I live in a stand of oaks so if anyone can suggest something along those lines or maybe cardboard.  Is amazon's cardboard good for such purposes?

#63 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 04:02 PM

I took a shovel and chopped off bark chips from an oak in my back yard and mixed it with alder pellets and a little humus compost and let it soak for a couple days in hot water. I always feel like I get better results from stuff straight from the outdoors where the microbes are fresh and alive. But about everything I do is either pasteurized or sterile.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 08 November 2020 - 04:03 PM.

#64 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 979 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:37 PM

I did something maybe dumb, maybe interesting... we finished off a 18 pack of eggs in paper carton today so I just tore the bottom off and soaked it then emptied a half pint of grain in each crater. Maybe would have been smarter to boil water and soak it in that fresh off the stove, but I’ve got more grain and we eat a lot of eggs. I think I might do a pasteurized oak detritus, compost sub and try that also. I wasn’t sure from the myc appearance, but when I opened the jar today it had a very faint and fresh mushroom aroma. When things start wet I find bacteria to almost always be an issue, that they weren’t gives me hope.

I also have several branches half eaten by other fungus. Thinking of a sterilized bag of that broken down also.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#65 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:06 PM

9F4FD4BD-6528-47BB-A2A7-4295973397E6.jpeg I let the gym purp mini tub consolidate all week and just cased with peat/verm. Praying this is the one.
  • Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#66 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 979 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 11:58 AM

how old is that mini tub?  Bag of sub is colonizing, I can't speak to speed. Gyms seem slow, but I've been attempting semperviva and pans which are fast so maybe it's me.  So far the egg carton has some definite places where grain has made the transfer to the nonsterile egg carton.  I literally just pulled it from the trash right after it had been discarded, washed it off with water and soaked it then dumped the half pint in and placed it in a shoebox tub held at 74F.  It's hard for me to say whether it's the lignin in the cardboard or the health of the myc, but where it has jumped it seems healthier.  I figured WBS would have plenty of lignin for Gyms, but maybe they just really want the lignin more than nutrition or in different amounts.  If it really gets going I'll post pictures, but right now it's pretty unimpressive and feels slow.

#67 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:33 PM

So far it’s been fairly quick the tub is 11 days old it was 2lb of spawn to 5lb of wood mix. 30ml of LC colonized the 2lb of grain in 12 days as well. The culture was what looked like three isolates I gathered on a plate from all the best looking germination and biopsied each into an LC.
  • Jrotten likes this

#68 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:47 PM

Now I should also say that that my last culture of gym purp wasn’t nearly as good.it was slower and much thinner. Didn’t have those thick white patches at all. And it would get to about 80% on the wood and just stop. This time I added a lot more soil mix around 35-40% and it colonized faster and looks much better

#69 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 979 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:50 PM

My bag is half pint wbs spawn to roughly 2 parts tumbler compost, 1 part oak sawdust, 1 part coir, a touch of coffee and wheatbran.  It seems to have taken a minute to recover, but it does seem to be growing into it.  I went straight from the germ plates which may or may not have been wise.  IDK.

#70 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

If this is not mold, it’s pretty cool. Originally I took the egg carton out of the kitchen trash can, soaked it in the tub, then drained it and poured the spawn on. It took a few days to see it had really jumped on to the egg carton. I then took some oak branches that had fallen, some partially eaten by fungus or lichen, beat them into chips with a hammer and then added some used coffee to the water and tossed it all in the PC, brought to 15psi then shutoff and allowed to sit overnight. The intent was to just fully hydrated rather than sterilize. The larger chunks are in a different tub.

This is the smaller bits. If this isn’t mold, this is an explosion of growth. I‘ll have to keep an eye on it, but so far this is fun to watch anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

• A0341AD5-1B7A-4F6D-B340-1F0EAD324438.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 19 November 2020 - 11:56 AM.

#71 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:11 PM

And just checked this. This was two half pints of slow weak looking spawn, but it seems to have really woken up after getting to the oak hydrated with weak coffee hydration. It may be too nutritious to keep clean with the coffee. Idk. The spawn definitely seems to be happier hear than on the grain.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9500543E-0B96-445B-8D8E-4AB499BF5F27.jpeg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!