• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 groo

groo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:06 AM

Anyone making saw dust spawn and innoculating it with a palm innoculation tool and wax seal the same way you do shitake, herecium ganoderma oysters? Why shoud this be any different it will fruit when it is time that way.

Edited by groo, 02 January 2021 - 01:10 AM.

#82 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

I don't think anyone here is doing logs outdoors, but why not - feel free to join in and do it!

Just cased a couple colonized quart jars of G. dilepis and put them in the FC - going to see if these will fruit bottle culture style...

• Jrotten likes this

#83 groo

groo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:50 PM

I will see If I can find some spores not sold out I found some gyms last year but I was not set up like I am now.

#84 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:33 PM

I’ve decided to use paper pellets, fine chopped straw and fine oak saw dust as a layer over the egg carton if it seems right structurally. I’m torn about hydrating with dilute coffee from spent grounds or not. Thinking just a bucket tek fype pasteurization with boiling water. I think I might pull out the egg carton, add boiled verm to the bottom of the tub, and then place it where it can be 50-60 degrees and get something like fresh air.

#85 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:53 AM

Damn gym lute is like 100% germination rate on agar in 2 days. Beautiful. Still have gym purpuratus in a bag creeping. I’ll get there some day
  • Jrotten likes this

#86 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2021 - 06:47 PM

I liked the idea above and it was $4/bale for paper pellets and the same for aspen chips. I'm pasteurizing now. I'll be adding to the egg carton in a bit. The egg carton is already in a shoebox tote so that will just fruit from there if I get that far.

EDIT: here is the egg carton before and after the paper/wood was added. No supplements. There was the tiniest hint of green in on of the corners that never colonized well, I just put it to the back of the air flow, tore it off, chunked it, and added the wood/paper mix. The egg carton had certainly taken off, hopefully jumps to the new layer and runs fast. New layer is 1-2 inches deep.

Attached Thumbnails

• BD5DABAC-7D26-43D6-94CE-01D54608B7BC.jpeg
  • F0084859-61D5-431D-8DB2-B84008AF7424.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 04 January 2021 - 11:20 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#87 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:04 PM

has  this  post Allen Rocafeler post been linked her yet ?

New paper on the Gymnopilus junonius group answers many questions!

https://mycotopia.ne...s/#entry1451175

interesting ..

Bez

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#88 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:41 AM

This is still going on. I have sawdust and WBS spawn that seems to be goi f well, it’s a massive multispore from agar. I also have some oak twig/detritus and paper jars I went straight from wedges. All is looked good. I went back to spore, but I have jars that look very happy and a plan this time. Everything is sterilized.

#89 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:05 PM

I had a masters mix bag I innoculated with gym purpuratus months ago. It was so slow colonizing it colonized maybe 70% of the upper half of a 4Lb block and then the lower part contamed at first the purpuratus was winning although I wasn't expecting anything it was just interesting to watch. I decided to break off part of the colonized portion and break it down into one of the clear eggs and if it contamed so be it and if it didn't then at least it didn't go to waste. Well it didn't contam and it reconsolidated fine and I cased it and it's now in fruiting. Unorthodox but score one for science. The myc is poking through the casing which ill take as a good sign. To be continued.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 19 February 2021 - 11:07 PM.

#90 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:48 PM

My Gym Purp is colonizing as fast as my Allenii. Just massive multi spore inoculations. I haven’t checked on it today, but it’s better than my first attempts speed wise. Hopefully i’’ve got enough to fruit soon, but I may run out of season.

#91 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:04 PM

Gym Purp straight to oak detritus and paper animal bedding. Several jars, not real sure where to go from here, but the Gymp Purp atenit up quick.

Attached Thumbnails

• FDD1644B-47BD-404B-9D8A-E71AD9E44A73.jpeg

• bezevo and MushLuvR like this

#92 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:33 PM

Jrotten that mycelium looks all messed up. Cool!
  • Jrotten likes this

#93 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:40 PM

It’s just the fines on the jar. There’s actual dirt in there lol. The mycelium is bright white and tomentose.
  • Moonless likes this

#94 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,219 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:13 AM

Gymnopilus luteofolius : Scaly Purple Gym  I'm interested in trying naturalizing these  ...anyone still working with them .send a PM

i own a large plot  of hardwood forest in zone 5a .. i hope to try and naturalize Gymnopilus luteofolius : Scaly Purple Gym.

anyone have advice that could help me oout with this idea

thanks

Bez

• MushLuvR likes this

#95 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:45 PM

I spawned a jar of grain to a bed of wood chip mulch but I have no idea if it will take. I’ll be trying a more intentional grow later in the year if I have time.
  • bezevo and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!