• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:14 AM

has anyone inoculated PF cakes with anything other than spore syringes?  Im getting a spore sprint and was hoping to grow out some strong growth on agar first or LC and inoculate that way for hopefully a strong genotype (is that the right word?).  Anyway Im a nooob and this would be my first grow, any advice appreciated. 

I have been practicing with agar and transfers and just inoculated my first wbs jar, its definetly colonizing fast.

#2 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

Yes it absolutely can be done and is preferred by many growers including myself. I don’t use spore syringes personally unless I purchase from a vendor and that’s all they have.

One can make LI or LC and it will work just fine and faster really because no germination needs to occur. Plus an added bonus is that you can strategically omit a bit of water from the cake material and add more LI/LC (what I prefer) for much faster colonization times without throwing off the moisture content of your substrate. Just make sure all is clean and free of contamination, and it will work like a charm.

I have done it that way for years when I make cake material. Case in point here is a PP5 container I did that very thing using LI (I like LI better personally, but just me).

I brought my material to just under full field capacity, i.e. you will hear a squishing sound and the substrate will hold its shape upon squeezing it, but NO water drips out and inoculated it with 20 ml of known, clean LI in 10 different inoculation points:
4D8E2E2B-0CE4-4E5E-BC8C-6DF4A38E901A.jpeg

6 days later:
828D3E98-9EB4-4DCD-9F2A-19D6A92147C8.jpeg 3900E842-082F-4B18-A155-5347DD397EBD.jpeg

3 data later (9 full days since inoculation):
D156CC11-2DF0-4B3F-9C31-EFEC788BB2C9.jpeg 8271BC0C-C1F7-488A-A73D-374ABAF3AB96.jpeg

And finished result:
36A702B9-B534-40CE-ACE7-604BD34C7F39.jpeg

Disclaimer:
You must be very sure your LI/LC is clean before doing this and your sterile technique is sound, but once you do, the sky is the limit IMO. Also, as you can see, this was not a cube grow. This was a Pan isolate that I have worked on for a while. Do not expect those colonization times with cubes. Also, before adding that much LI/LC to the substrate, make sure you really understand field capacity and know what to look for. It’s ok if you mess up on the dry side. You can always add more water slowly and deliberately, but if you add to much water, then inoculate with that much, it could be disastrous.

Good vibes.
  • TVCasualty, whitethumb and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,095 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:41 PM

beautiful brother as always!

#4 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:55 AM

:) now im really excited, thankyou, can you recommend a good LC tek you use?

I just inoculated a jar with mycelium growth from an agar dish using the distilled water and scraping syringe method. I will post update pictures in a few!

#5 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:39 AM

I don’t use LC much if any. I prefer LI personally, as I can skip the step of growing out the culture and testing. I prefer a known clean agar wedge in sterile water using the blender tek. That’s just the way I like the best. There are many ways to make liquid inoculant.

That being said, you can pretty much use any agar recipe you want and of course, just omit the agar agar. I have never put up an LC thread before because I don’t use any modification of lids, so probably wouldn’t be good advice for new comers to follow. If I make LC, I again use a known clean agar wedge for inoculation of the LC. Swirl it around 1-3 times a day until I have a nice colony of growth. Then I test on agar for cleanliness before committing to grain, cake material, etc. I’m not a huge fan of it, but it does work well if all is clean.

Recipe wise, I really don’t have a set recipe. But you could use either of these 2 and all will be fine:
1 gram Malt Extract
500 ml water
Or
1 gram of potato flakes
Just a pinch of dextrose
500 ml water

These are just 2 of many recipes out there. There are many to choose from that work. I just always have those ingredients around, as they are my 2 go-to recipes for agar. So that’s the avenue I take anyway.

Good vibes.

Edited by peacefrog, 07 September 2020 - 06:42 AM.

#6 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:13 PM

Cool, thanks. well perhaps I will try the blender tech if it skips another step of possibly introducing contams. I just made my cakes yesterday and i think they came out pretty dry. Unfortunately all I could find was the fine vermiculite so I guess I can try to use alot of li for each one lol

#7 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:09 PM

It really doesn’t skip another step for contamination. But if your sterile technique is solid and all else is clean (water, agar, media, etc), then it just skips the step of colonization of the liquid media. One still has do the same for LC as well.

No avenue is better than the other. It just depends on your preference and growing style.

#8 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:05 AM

If you are new to LC/LI I highly recommend the baby bottle LC tek. 3cc of corn syrup in 100mL doesnt get any easier. As an added benefit your LC will be crystal clear and you can focus on learning what mycelium looks like growing in an LC without wondering if some ingredient is causing anything off that you might see. I've never felt the need to use anything else for cubes.

Edited by pastyoureyes, 17 September 2020 - 09:06 AM.

#9 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:08 AM

I have a Lc of 4% karo waiting for inoculation. I'm not sure its clean though

#10 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:28 AM

How did you sterilize it? What makes you think it's not clean?

#11 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:26 AM

In my instant pot :(     its clear still :)    sediment in water this time though maybe.   sorry no pic,

I have a jar from a microwave tek that looked clear after 2 months maybe now, I just inoculated it but it seems slow! no pic , 

ill try to get pics tomorrow

#12 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:29 AM

my goal is to go agar to invitro/pf chronik tek so I can PLAY Around with strains and genetics :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!