• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 12:54 PM

This plant was planted in soil, mulched and watered once a week, first with rainwater and after that with home-made fertilizer made by soaking whole dandelion plants in water for a couple of months. Last week it had a couple of yellow leaves, but now it looks terrible. It lost A LOT of leaves, and the remaining ones are quite yellow. What kind of deficiency could it be? I assume it's not nitrogen, as the dandelion compost tea should contain lots of it, but I could be wrong.

The strain is amnezia haze. I cannot remember if it was autoflower or not, it was started in early or mid april I think. If it was autoflower, would it be already finished with flowering? It started flowering less than two weeks ago.

Also, I am surprised that the soil is so terrible that it is showing this much deficiency.

Whatever the solution to this problem is, I won't be able to come back to it for at least a couple of days. I hope it won't be too late by then.20200907_181017.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200907_181021.jpg
  • 20200907_181027.jpg
  • 20200907_181044.jpg
  • 20200907_181049.jpg

#2 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,172 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:37 PM

The plant is maturing now, sucking the simple sugars out of the fan leaves as the chlorophyll leaches out. Take off the brown leaves and let her flower. It's too late in the season to add nitrogen, at least where I am at. Let it flow. Looks like normal fan leaf loss for this time of year. I suspect in 6 weeks those buds are gonna look good 

Edited by Coopdog, 07 September 2020 - 06:38 PM.

• PJammer24, Skywatcher and NatureIsMagic like this

#3 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:11 AM

Thanks, I hope you are right and everything turns out ok.

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,591 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

If it was auto it would already have finished. As plants mature, as coop said above, the plant starts to focus all of its efforts on flowering. As the focus shifts to flowering with the goal of producing seeds for a future generation, the leaves begin to yellow. I don't know what part of the world you are in but in my part of the world, all of the outdoor is starting to show yellow leaves. I don't always see spotting like that but yellowing leaves this late in the season is par for the course. I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you.

• NatureIsMagic likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,787 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:06 AM

My plants were started in late May, and the older leaves have been yellowing and then dropping for weeks now. The buds however have been packing on weight and size. Its a pretty normal transition as has been stated.

You can abandon your nitrate food now, and I would very much suggest a flowering nute (potassium, phosphorus) and even a few feedings of some sugars like molasses, (not too much).........

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, PJammer24 and 1 other like this

#6 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:53 AM

I know a guy who tried growing outside for the first time this year, I have never attempted this myself so was not much help. I was over there the other day and noticed that they are just staring to flower. The time constraint seems to be a little tight with the onset of winter and possible freezing temperatures come October.

Is it normal for it to start flowering so late in the season? Is there anything you can do to trigger is sooner or are you held hostage by the hours of daylight in your area?

They were white banner autofem seeds, planted outside back in may

Edited by flashingrooster, 10 September 2020 - 11:56 AM.

#7 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:34 PM

@flashingrooster this is exactly the predicament that caused me to switch to autoflowers when it comes to outdoor growing. If a plant was started in May and is just now beginning to flower, it unfortunately is not an autoflower even if it was marketed as such. I've had great results with autos from Dutch Passion and Mephisto Genetics. The only thing you could do to trigger plants to start flowering sooner than they naturally would outdoors is to put them in a greenhouse with a blackout covering and control the light that way.

The good news is that if you obtain some quality autoflower genetics now, over the winter you can produce thousands of feminized autoflower seeds for next year pretty easily. It doesn't take much room or light to produce thousands of seeds. A 100w flourescent light is sufficient enough to produce more seeds than you'll be able to use. A small closet is more than enough room for this as well. If you're interested in this process (making feminized seeds) lemme know and I'll give you more info
  • FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#8 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:26 PM

I should mention that they were from a batch that I grew in my basement and two of the plants went to seed so I had a ton left over. My guess was they went hermi but I don't really know for sure. I have grown 5 plants indoors with those seeds and they all were female so I assumed that the autofem genetic carried over. I like the suggestion to grow auto flowers outside, seems like a good way to ensure it matures in time.

I am curious how you produce seeds though?

#9 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:02 PM

@flashingrooster there may be some confusion here; autoflower and feminized are 2 different characteristics of cannabis. Combined they create "autofem" seeds. Not all autoflowers are feminized and not all feminized are autoflowers. But they are combined so frequently by seedbanks that i can understand why one would think it is a single characteristic. Perhaps I'm reading the situation wrong and you already know this?

#10 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:28 PM

Ya your right I am using the wrong words. Just feminized instead of auto female , those seeds I had were Feminized...

Did I mention I like to smoke a ton of that White Banner?

#11 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

So I have five feminized seeds for this Gelato in the link.  How would you recommend getting more seeds?  Last time it was pure luck with my five seeds of White Banner, how they went to seed have no idea how

https://www.cropking...arijuana-seeds/

#12 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:42 PM

@flashingrooster you can make feminized seeds using colloidal silver. If you spray a female plant with it once a day starting one week before you flip to 12/12 and continue spraying for 3-4 weeks, it will "reverse" the plant. This means it forces the female plant to produce male flowers and pollen. Take this pollen and pollinate another female plant and the resulting seeds are feminized, 99.9% of the seeds will be female

Gelato is the shit!

Edited by el_ronhub_bird, 16 September 2020 - 07:45 PM.

#13 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 84 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:17 AM

@flashingrooster this is exactly the predicament that caused me to switch to autoflowers when it comes to outdoor growing. If a plant was started in May and is just now beginning to flower, it unfortunately is not an autoflower even if it was marketed as such. I've had great results with autos from Dutch Passion and Mephisto Genetics. The only thing you could do to trigger plants to start flowering sooner than they naturally would outdoors is to put them in a greenhouse with a blackout covering and control the light that way.

The good news is that if you obtain some quality autoflower genetics now, over the winter you can produce thousands of feminized autoflower seeds for next year pretty easily. It doesn't take much room or light to produce thousands of seeds. A 100w flourescent light is sufficient enough to produce more seeds than you'll be able to use. A small closet is more than enough room for this as well. If you're interested in this process (making feminized seeds) lemme know and I'll give you more info

There is one drawback with this however, summer flowering plants are more susceptible to bud rot, high night temps with dew, or rain and then hot sun,..

But this also depends on the location you live, we had so much rain this summer in europe

#14 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

I can't speak on Europe, I've never even been there. Where I live, that is not the case. A plant flowering in Sept/Oct is WAY more prone to bud rot than a plant flowering in June/July/Aug

#15 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 84 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:32 PM

its really location dependent. One year a early flowering sativa-dominant that is supposed to be mold resistant roted a little in august, and the same strain roted completly(100%) when grown in a bad spot where there was almsot everyday morning fog in the summer.

And then one year I had white widow and og kush rot just a little when we had almsot all september rain, that was a surprise as i thought its gonna be a disaster

Weather is different every year so outdoor its a gamble, you can get more rot in summer where i live, also because higher temps hold more water in the air, and we get more winds in sept. and oct than in summer

Edited by Rac3k, 17 September 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#16 NatureIsMagic

NatureIsMagic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:15 PM

Just to check in, it is going strong and all is well. Still yellowing, but a lot less.

Unrelated question - getting seeds for the next year might be tricky. Is it possible to clone it and then ovetwinter it indoors on a window?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200917_175939.jpg
  • 20200917_175930.jpg

#17 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:07 AM

Elron, how much do you spray at a time and in any particular area? I do recall reading about that now that you mention it, just never paid much attention to the actual process

Edited by flashingrooster, 18 September 2020 - 10:10 AM.

#18 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,557 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

Yeah fall around here is way soggier than summer. Things don't tend to dry up as quickly after a rainfall.

#19 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

Elron, how much do you spray at a time and in any particular area? I do recall reading about that now that you mention it, just never paid much attention to the actual process

So when I'm breeding autos I keep them very small, like in 16oz Styrofoam cups. You could do this with a clone of a non-auto as well. In this case i spray the whole plant. If you do it with a larger plant choose one branch to spray and avoid or shield the rest of the plant from the mist because this renders the sprayed part un-smokeable. I give it maybe 3-4 sprays then use my hand to massage it into the tissue

#20 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 653 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

And if you can find a small spray bottle like this it comes in handy for this purpose

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200918_131356.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!