Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Converting all in one bag w/grain + coir to minitub or monotub?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jrh

jrh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:22 AM

For my first ever grow, I ordered kits which had grain and coir. These actually worked OK for me (although I learned I needed to keep adding moisture with a humidifier or putting them near a hot shower), but the size of the colonized blocks are kind of a pain to work with.

I have another set of bags colonizing now. I can always leave them as big blocks and fruit as before. However, I was wondering if I can "convert" them to a couple of minitubs or a monotub and what would be involved? Would I just pasturize some coir, mix it with the crumbled up colonized blocks, then add an inch or so of plain coir to the top?

Thanks in advance.

• peacefrog likes this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:41 AM

From the sound of it, there is already substrate mixed in your bags... Adding more coir is just going to make it a bigger block of the same thing. It sounds to me like the issue is in your container. If it is in a filter bag, I would just let it go with the top rolled down and clipped. If you are finding that it isn't maintaining humidity, you can spray a little water on the sides of the bags. My bags tend to keep humidity nicely and I have to do very little with them.

If the block is in some other type of bag or the bag has already been ruined in some way, you could build a fruiting chamber similar to what you would use with PF tek and maintain humidity in that chamber with the block within... I think this would be a better approach than adding more coir to your block that already includes coir...

• peacefrog, coAsTal and jrh like this

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:42 PM

Thanks. Yes, the blocks are in filter bags. The first times I birthed the blocks into a fruiting chamber. I guess this next time, I can still use the fc, but maybe I'll leave the blocks in plastic and just cut one side out.

Honestly, it never occurred to me to leave them in the bags.

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:42 AM

Yes you can absolutely transfer them into whatever bulk container you like AFTER full colonization. Just break up and pour into said container and fruit as normal.

But be weary and make sure that there is no contamination present before doing so. If you have even a slight bacterial infection, it might not recover from this and you risk the chance of losing it. Whereas, if you fruit from the bag with a slight bacterial infection and it is fully colonized, all will usually be fine.

I have done it many times with great success. Just make, as best as possible anyway, that no competitors are in the mix and all will be fine.

Good vibes.
  • jkdeth and jrh like this

#5 jrh

jrh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:38 AM

Thanks! I think I'll fruit from the bag this time. This is my first experience w/pe so hopefully everything goes well. I guess after I see how my first flush goes, it'll be time to decide what to do for my next grow.

#6 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

Should work just fine.

Good luck and good vibes my friend.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!