10 replies to this topic

#1 Shaz

Shaz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:19 AM

Hey there, hope you are well...
Due to this Corona sh!tstorm I've had to move into my grandmother's holiday home and now I think there's a contamination beast floating around in this flat - All my grain spawn jars of brown rice show signs of contamination (15 in total - 5 strains : 3 jars each), all currently "active" fruiting chambers (8 in total) are showing signs of contamination too... Grains start to colonize and then end up turning almost black, fruiting chambers have some signs of light green and grey spots forming.
If I had the cashflow to replace everything then I'd toss it ALL out - jars and fruiting chambers included. All grains and bulk substrates have already been removed - but now what do I do?
Please help me out here, I'm still rather new to growing psilocybin cubensis and I Urgently need advice to get rid of this contamination beast.
Look forward to your replies on this.
  • Boebs likes this

#2 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,091 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:41 AM

Start by deep cleaning the air system
It probably hasnt been done in a while.

As for the contamination of the spawn.. well you have limited choices. You can try cutting away the areas, however if you see the colors of mold/bacteria it has spored so its pretty much everywhere.
  • Shaz likes this

#3 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,091 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:41 AM

Or move it outside and hope for some harvest
  • Mycol and Shaz like this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,736 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:29 AM

To really track down the source of the problem requires more info. How old is the place? Any visible mold issues? Moldy/musty odors? Indoor plants? Pets?

Are you sure your spawn jars were sterilized properly? Next time you PC jars, leave one "blank," meaning don't inoculate it. Same goes for agar (leave a dish empty). If your 'blanks' contaminate then you know the problem isn't dirty spores (or at least it isn't confined to dirty spores) and might be from inadequate PC time.

Whenever a grow space "crashes," which just means most or all of what you try to do in it fails due to contamination, there must have been either an instance of extreme contamination that filled the place with huge volumes of spores or else there is an ongoing, active mold problem somewhere within the dwelling that's constantly producing spores that get into everything. Any visible leaks or evidence of water getting in? Any dank, stagnant spaces that don't get much air circulation (like a crawl space or unfinished basement)?

• PJammer24, Boebs, makinbones69 and 2 others like this

#5 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,091 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:41 PM

With every jar contaminated, makes me wonder if your technique over looked something
  • Shaz likes this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,527 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:14 PM

I'm with Boebs last comment! With good technique I have seen thousands of good grows in conditions I could never live in personally. In fact there are a lot of expert cultivators that do most everything in open air, they just don't share that fact to confuse newbs on the importance of aseptic technique.

It’s really easy to spray the air with disinfectant, wipe down the counters an put on rubber gloves while holding your breath to make one feel like they are aseptic. Only once you understand how things contam in the cleanest setting possible one will understand how things contam in the worst settings.

Use control jars like TV mentioned to help you get that understanding. No amount of YouTube videos can teach you as much as controls during your own process of learning.

Edited by coorsmikey, 10 September 2020 - 09:53 PM.

• Boebs and Shaz like this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,478 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

When every jar goes bad and they have identical issues, I typically suspect the inoculate.

I recently did some jars from three seperate LCs... More than half of the jars were done with LC #2 which was super clear and I believed to be clean... Turns out, LC #2 had what I was looking for but also had cobweb rockin in there... All of the jars I inoculated with #2 ended up cob webbed... LC #1 and LC#3 were fine...

I don't see a lot of cobweb, it was surprising.

Any who, I would be looking at my inoculate first and then I would be looking at my sterilization process.

Edited by PJammer24, 11 September 2020 - 12:17 PM.

• Boebs and Shaz like this

#8 Shaz

Shaz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:46 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I'll definitely take it all in and work from there.
Just to answer some questions you've posted - there are no odd musty smells or dark unfinished spaces, pets or plants in this flat, we have a good breeze coming through all rooms when we open the sliding doors
Now that I've read all comments I've realized the issue may be from an issue with our PC not sealing properly.
I'm going to go back and look at my technique, will also be doing control jars as suggested.

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,736 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

When your BRF jars contaminate, does the contaminant appear in the same spots where the spores were injected? Or does the funk start appearing randomly throughout the jars, or only at the top?

If contamination correlates with inoculation sites, it's the inoculant (spores or LC or whatever) or improper sterilization of the needle. If it's random throughout the jars it's inadequate sterilization. If only at the top it's an inadequate verm layer or really, really dirty air and poor technique.

• Shaz likes this

#10 Shaz

Shaz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

TVCasualty: It looks like the mycelium grew fairly well at the top of the jar, but then the bottom section has got this stinky, dark brown (almost black) "gunk" (for lack of a better word). I tried now to upload the last 2 photos that I have, but something is going wrong and I get "kicked off the site" as soon as I've selected the images - used these same 2 images to ask my LC vendor if he's seen something like this and he's reply was to suggest I attempt "clean up" of the healthy mycelium using agar... but I've never worked with agar before so that's a whole new can of worms that I'm not ready to look into yet

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,736 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:15 AM

Figures that your contamination would be appearing in the only place I didn't list, lol.

Contamination like that (stinky, gunky) that first appears at the bottom of a jar is probably bacterial thanks to it going anaerobic for some reason (too much water, substrate packed too densely are possibilities).

I guess you could try to grab some mycelium out of it and attempt to clean it up on agar, but that's really not very good advice for your situation IMO. It almost sounds like the vendor is trying to ensure you don't try to claim the spores were dirty and seek a refund or whatever (and to be fair, the spores could be just fine). And I hope you meant "spore" vendor when you wrote "LC vendor" since nobody should be openly selling Liquid Cultures of active species (which is illegal almost everywhere).

It's not worth trying to clean up a culture in a contaminated BRF or grain jar when you can just prep new jars (and get new spores if necessary) and try again. If it was a rare or hard-to-get species or an isolate of a spectacular phenotype you wanted to preserve then the time and effort would be worth it, but it's not in this case (IMO). And for future reference, working with agar is a lot easier than it tends to seem.

FWIW, sometimes you can refresh the page or open it again in a new tab and to get around the error or bug that sometimes happens when trying to upload images to a reply. If that doesn't work try deleting your browser's cache and then reload the page and try it again.

• Shaz likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!