Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

another instant pot question (way better than 12 psi)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:25 AM

So I was looking at the weight on my instant pot and it reads 105-135 Kpa which when converted to psi is roughly 15-20 psi. so my question is did instant pots get better or does the weight not give me my pressure rating.  Can anyone explain or understand this?

#2 jrh

jrh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

I don't know how to make the determination, but I believe the instant pot ultra and the instant pot max say they're OK for canning.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,227 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:52 PM

So if its safe to say there are Instapots that are getting enough pressure, I just shopped a few that claim it would get the pressure needed for proper sterilization. IMO they did not get any "Better" as  I have my doubts about how many quart/liter jars would fit in one. Its just seems like a huge waste of precious cabinet or counter space for something that will only cook a couple of jars at a time and if you're really determined two meals in the lifetime of the instapot.

• Uncle G, peacefrog and Jrotten like this

#4 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:15 PM

I have yet to try the instant pot personally, as I am quite skeptical of them reaching the correct temps needed for sterilizing completely, but who knows? They might work.

Please try it and let us know.

Good vibes.
  • Uncle G likes this

#5 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:34 PM

yes the capacity is really uneconomical but i have to say they are quiet and i can run it all the time without any household complaints. so far i have not really increased any times and am doing a lot of agar work with no contamination i can trace back to the instantpot. ive made some wbs which still looks contam free after at least a month. So far so good but ill update with anything pertinent.

• peacefrog likes this

#6 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,358 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:45 PM

Good to hear!

Are these WBS jars sitting not inoculated/g2g for that long? Or are you speaking of jars that were inoculated and have sat there that long?

#7 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:23 PM

no they have not been inoculated. and they look good from what i can tell, I will post pics. actually i pulled one today from  a wbs cook last week, its got something growing in the bottom for sure (pic to come).  So the ones sitting longer i think are good i think (pic to come). seems not too soggy in there  and the grains roll around in the jar.

#8 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 05:17 PM

Ok got some pics. I included a wbs I inoculated with my button clone from agar. I'm skeptical of the fuzzballs on the surface but everything colonized really quick I just put it to coir/verm and we shall see unless anyone suggest I toss it?
As far as my sterile" wbs jar goes i didn't rinse between soak and PC so there's a ton of starch plus i overcooked it probably.
It's hard to see the slime in the jar but maybe its not contam and just starch sludge. Ill Hence another advantage of small batches when learning I suppose. Plus it helps me practice sterile procedures

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200912_142541.jpg
  • 20200912_143548.jpg
  • 20200911_161540.jpg
  • 20200911_161526.jpg
  • 20200911_161522.jpg

#9 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 05:18 PM

Once again Instant pots work for anything and everything for mycology. Just can't fit anything in there.

My instant pot had no issues with 5lb sawdust bags for gourmet, no issues doing grains, agar, syringes, any part of the process.

Fuck, use Keep Warm and you got a pasteurizer that you can just leave and forget about it.

Instant pot is great, don't have to watch anything, just can't fit shit and takes way longer to cool down then a traditional PC.

Once I upgraded from Instant Pot to PC it barely is used. Great for baby jar masters, slants, and agar, as you get into bags or multiple jars, your wasting your time.

#10 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 05:44 PM

right on. so you are a one of the few including myself that say yes to instantpot.

About your comment on the keep warm function as a pasteurizer, have you done any tek with that?  I think it would work well for my needs or anyone else who wants to learn the process without risk of large batches going to waste. Which yes I know i should be doing PF tek first which I am.  just to excited to slow down so Im maximizing my time lol.  PF tek jars are also sitting right now too so they will be hopefully contam free and ready. :)

#11 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,676 posts

Donator

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:10 PM

Very interesting.  I use to use a large coffee maker for pasteurization. 

https://mycotopia.ne...pasteurization/

Edited by Uncle G, 12 September 2020 - 08:11 PM.

#12 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 11:20 PM

I don't say yes to instapot, get a PC.

Before I got into mycology I had an instant pot laying around and did everything like any tek mentioned just fine. I just added 20-30 mins extra, or max time for big loads.

I did PF TEK in the instapot and moved onto grains without any issues.

No tek for pasteurizing coir I wing it with decent enough results for myself. Just put coir/water @ field capacity in pot and hit the keep warm button. Forget about it for about 3-4 hours.

If you want to be true to the process just use a thermometer and the check the coir periodically, just need to keep it between 140-160deg. for few about 2 hrs.

Edited by rockyfungus, 12 September 2020 - 11:22 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!