• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:30 PM

So i found some really good herb, but unfortunately after a few tokes i noticed some mold in some (if not most) the buds. Im looking to see if i can return the moldy stuff but if for some reason i cant, what can i really do?

Maybe take a sample to agar and see what exactly were dealing with? Could there be an easier way to tell if this is toxic or safe? Any feedback is appreciated.

received_2698957457018910.jpeg
  • Boebs likes this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,466 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:52 PM

If you got it at a dispensary, they should absolutely take it back as that is a curing/ storage issue that they should have noticed before it was sold in the first place.

I really don't know of a way to salvage moldy buds.

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:56 PM

Hash? Alcohol extraction?

I'm at a loss too.

• mushit and Skywatcher like this

#4 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 955 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:40 PM

Hopefully you did buy it at a dispensary.. otherwise most dealers are not Walmart and wont exchange or refund..

That looks like typical bud rot from high moisture condition's during curing.
Could also be cobweb mold.

If you have a decent amount im with myc on the alchohol extraction to make it into oil, if you cant get it refunded/exchanged.

#5 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:39 PM

Sadly i did not get this from walmart. More sad news, i read that an alcohol extraction would pull any mold toxins and actually concentrate it.

That would suck. Catching pneumonia from bud. If this was a small amount i wouldn't really care but i am a bit invested in this and a complete loss would be devastating.

If i could only determine what kind of mold is in this. If safe i would definitely grab some iso and go to town.

#6 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:09 PM

You'll need to be able to do a microscopy workup in order to positively identify the organism.

You already have spores so I would grab a sample of that and place it on a slide for microscopy photos. Then you could easily grow it out on agar and examine the habits of the hyphae to gather more info. You'll want several high-magnification shots at differing powers. After that you may be getting into some various stains which can further narrow down the identification process.

Sounds like a fun project. Lots of videos on y'tube detail all of the stuff I mentioned above. You can do this!

Edited by Myc, 13 September 2020 - 09:13 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#7 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:20 PM

Well then ill have to invest in a microscope. Which would set me back a bit further. I did not realize how complex mold and other organisms are to at least identity.

It's crazy to think that a biological weapon (anthrax) is made from basically a rare mold. If i had the tools and knowledge identify certain molds, it would be pure hobby.

Too bad on this mold. This bud id petrol

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,336 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:40 AM

If you got it at a dispensary, they should absolutely take it back as that is a curing/ storage issue that they should have noticed before it was sold in the first place.

I really don't know of a way to salvage moldy buds.

More often than not, the mold colonizes the bud while it is still on the plant rather than in curing and storage. It is more of an issue in humid climates than in drier ones.

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,336 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:40 AM

I would make hash our of it...

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#10 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:06 AM

Ive read that if the mold is in fact poisonous, an extraction would only concentrate the harmful toxins thus making it even more dangerous to consume. I'm left scratching my head.
  • Myc likes this

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,332 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

Ive read that if the mold is in fact poisonous, an extraction would only concentrate the harmful toxins thus making it even more dangerous to consume. I'm left scratching my head.

You've made a good point here in rebuttal to my original suggestion.

I see where erring to the side of caution is a good policy as I cannot validate or invalidate this information. Makes sense though since we use ethanol to extract alkaloids - it would make sense that toxins could come along for the ride.

Proper identification of the organism would seem to be a responsible first step.

Much like we encourage with mycology - if in doubt, throw it out - or take the time to obtain a proper ID. Never consume first, then ask questions later.

You could seal up the cannabis and freeze it so as to retard the progress of the mold. Then get an ID and decide where to go from there.

Edited by Myc, 14 September 2020 - 09:37 AM.

#12 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 585 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

It looks like botrytis. Most likely it affected the plant while still growing, not a curing issue. I doubt your dealer will refund you because this is an issue that the grower was surely aware of and decided to sell it anyway to cut his losses. I understand why people do it but it's a scumbag thing to do to somebody. Look into butane extraction because it's more selective than alcohol. Other than that, sorry dude, that really sucks. From now on make sure you inspect the weed you buy, with your eyes, nose, and even break some up and smoke it before buying if possible. Especially if it's a large amount

#13 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,732 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:10 PM

Its a heart breaker to find that. Best to accept it and move on. I think I tried the butane method on moldy bud but it never smelled right and I lost confidence in it after reading of the potential dangers

Searching the internet obsessively a few years back after I foolishly let two ounces go moldy during the curing process. I tried a few methods with little success. In the end the risk versus reward didn't seem to pay so to the trash it went

Edited by flashingrooster, 15 September 2020 - 01:13 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#14 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:08 PM

Im just curious because in my research the reason you don't want to smoke moldy bud is not so much the burning of the spores (as the heat kills the mycotoxins) but taking a hit and inhaling the spores that are on the bud that is not yet burning.

If this is correct, wouldn't making an extract from the bud eliminate the problem? Because the the spores have to come in contact with a high temp rig before being turned to smoke? I bet the taste would still linger but its better then a complete loss.

Untill i am certain it will sit in the freezer. Also, the mold is not really in high concentrate.

Edited by Dabluebonic, 15 September 2020 - 04:10 PM.

#15 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:11 PM

Man.... I hate to say this, but you should not sell that bud to anyone. NOBODY wants to buy moldy buds, and the only way to sell it is to misrepresent it and deceive people (your friends) or to lowball it and tell people about it. I had an old friend who was in his 60's who despised anyone who smoked or sold weed, supposedly because his son died a long and torturous death from smoking moldy pot. I have personally never heard of any kind of mold that would slowly choke you to death, but that was his story. He could have been mistaken, or he could have been lied to, but I am pretty damn sure that he at least believed that was what killed his son. I apologize for interjecting this into the conversation but man selling moldy buds has karmic returns. I would seriously take it back where I got it and at least try to return it. That is  really shitty that they did that to you, and I totally feel you on the tragic loss end of it. I respect your decision whatever way you go Sir. 

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#16 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:40 PM

Well i am an honorable person and had told the people who i dispersed it too. And i gladly gave them a refund and also let them keep the moldy stuff with a warning so at least my conscience is clean. The guy i got it from only let me swap 1/4th of it. Needless to say ill be going elsewhere with my business.

Edited by Dabluebonic, 15 September 2020 - 06:41 PM.

• el_ronhub_bird, Coopdog and Skywatcher like this

#17 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:49 AM

Sorry that happened to you, and you did the right thing indeed. Good to know there is still honest people out there, as they seem to be a dying breed. :)

• Myc and Skywatcher like this

#18 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,732 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

Good call man, best of luck if you try to concentrate it. I never got sick from the little bit I smoked but it wasn't worth the paranoia, wondering if your going to get some sort of infection every time you smoke it.

I haven't made pipe bomb style butane oil in a while, works like a charm

#19 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:15 PM

I made some BHO before but it wasn't untill after i realized it needed extra work to be purged. I guess i have another project on my hands.

#20 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 584 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:28 PM

Ice water extraction? Pretty sure the mold floats, just decant before it has a chance to soak in the water too long. Maybe a couple ice water washes after initial extraction? I think back to the days of brick bud and wonder about all the different molds, bugs and chemicals among other things we used to smoke.
  • Dabluebonic likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!