• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 planetcaravan03

planetcaravan03

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:19 PM

Anyone have any luck or opinions for or against mixing strains?

Last month I started four quarts of spawn on popcorn. Two are Cambodians and the other two are Texas Yellow Caps. I ended up using 1 quart of the TYC to do a grain to grain transfer to ten new quarts of popcorn this morning. So I have an extra quart of spawn. I setup four quarts of coco/verm this afternoon with the full intentions of putting the Cambo in it. I'm unsure of what to do with the extra quart of TYC and had an idea of mixing the two. Yay or Nay. 

Side note, I just put a monotub to fruit this afternoon as well of the TYC strain. I'm going to assume that I should not even think about adding that quart of spawn to it?????

Thanks

#2 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 782 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:43 PM

gallery_150062_1741_9150.jpg

#3 jrh

jrh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:10 AM

I don't know, but it seems to me if you mix strains, each one will be competing with the other for the same resources, and they'll both be competing against all the bad things you don't want like mold and bacteria. 

• pastyoureyes likes this

#4 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:46 AM

Wouldn't they just put there differences aside and work together to accomplish the same goals that they have in common? Or would they battle it out in a nasty racial society where color and ethnic background segregates the community?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.” —Jimi Hendrix.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

Typically one is more aggressive than the other and would colonize more of the substrate.

#6 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 782 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:11 PM

I don't know, but it seems to me if you mix strains, each one will be competing with the other for the same resources, and they'll both be competing against all the bad things you don't want like mold and bacteria.

^This

What you SHOULD do is make a smaller dubtub for your lone quart.
  • jrh likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!