8 replies to this topic

#1 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 654 posts

Donator

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:30 PM

Can anyone give me some tips on how to combat spider mold? It's the white stringy mold that spreads super fast, and makes a blanket across the surface of the sub. 

I thought maybe it was because my sub was too wet, so I tried using less water. 

I sprayed the spider mold with hydrogen peroxide, it will probably grow back in a couple days though. It will be a long and tempestuous battle.

Saph

#2 HrVanker

HrVanker

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 356 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:44 PM

I can't find anything regarding "spider mold" that doesn't include spiders covered in mold. The way you describe it, it sounds a lot like cobweb mold. AFAIK, peroxide sprays are the best way to combat it.

The only other thing I can think of is a dilute bleach dunk after the first flush.

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,333 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:44 PM

I think you are referring to cobweb mold...

You want  to throw that and any other contaminated substrate out right away... Don't try to treat them with hydrogen peroxide or anything else... The longer it takes you to throw it out, the more spores that are being released into your environment... More spores will lead to higher contamination rates down the road. The moment I see contamination, I throw it out... I have been in homes where there were so many spores in the air that it became VERY difficult to grow successfully...

I know you will read about people who are treating contamination with hydrogen peroxide or trying to cut it out but I don't know of any veterans who would give you this advice. You are usually reading posts done by people who are not seasoned and simply don't know any better when you read about trying to deal with contaminates and save that particular project.

substrate that is hydrated beyond field capacity will increase contamination risks in general but I can't say for certain if it played a role in your case. I recently had a bunch of jars go bad due to an LC that was contaminated with cobweb. Over hydration, in general, increases anaerobic conditions and for that reason increase contamination rates.

• onediadem, Arathu and HrVanker like this

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:34 PM

As cheap as materials are, it is not worth it to try and save anything. I got sick by not being careful and was bed bound for three months. I had to crawl to the bathroom because I was too weak to walk. My lungs were damaged. So yeah, DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH MOLDS!

• PJammer24, Boebs and flashingrooster like this

#5 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,694 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:43 PM

From your mycology? or your Job I am curios what happened its sounds awful

#6 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

Yes, from myco work. It took numerous rounds of antibiotics and my lungs are now fucked. Smoking doesn't help lol.

• flashingrooster likes this

#7 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,694 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 01:33 AM

Yikes, good to know. I will treat those infections with a little more respect

No darts for me but i vape a ton of weed so plenty of times i have been wheezing from it. Hits that have me wondering if my weed vape lungs were going to do me in for covid. :blink:

#8 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 AM

Yikes, good to know. I will treat those infections with a little more respect

No darts for me but i vape a ton of weed so plenty of times i have been wheezing from it. Hits that have me wondering if my weed vape lungs were going to do me in for covid. :blink:

It would certainly be blamed on COVID..........for my own mycology work I WEAR N95 masks and my chem goggles. Flow hood blows that shit right into your face and lungs......

I have to find a way to build an actual laboratory.........I think another pole building is coming to the acre soon.......

Be careful brothers and sisters........

A

#9 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 654 posts

Donator

Posted Yesterday, 04:03 PM

I am at the point now that I either need to buy my substrate from a local distributor, or/and I need to buy a flow hood. I could possibly not do the dubtub method, and do Monotubs. I can get a fully colonized quart jar, but once I mix it in with the Coco Coir it gets contaminated. Been that way for the last 9 tubs. 

I bought another round of sub, and if my methods still prove to fail, I think I am going to get a flow hood. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!