• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

One of the fellas on Youtube started using rice hulls in his substrate, theoretically to accelerate mycelia growth. I'm wondering if the same could be lightly mixed into the upper layer of rye grains before sterilization for the same purpose. Seems to me it would act as a conduit accelerator for mycelia growth. Good idea, bad idea, something already looked into or worth looking into...?

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:34 PM

I can think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Give it a shot and update us? If I had rice hulls in my pantry or if I even saw them at the store, I would jump on on the chance to check it out. 

#3 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:27 PM

Good excuse as any to start another shroom batch, consider it done.

• makinbones69 and YoshiTrainer like this

#4 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:34 AM

I'm gonna turn this thread into an experiment/documentation of my idea starting with the usual ingredients and with the addition of two others, the "tea" from pasteurizing the manure part of substrate. And the other is rice hulls. It will be divided up into three tubes so it'll be easier to gauge the progress of the growth, tube #1 will be standard rye prep alone, #2 will be with rice hulls and #3 will be rice hulls soaked in the "tea" then dried. And to keep things honest .6g of shrooms (light Museum dose) soaked in Heilung  "Shaman" music to set the stage.

[Direct Link]

The ingredients

DSC01515 (Medium).JPG

First up is the usual rye prep and soak some of the rice hulls in the tea.

DSC01516 (Small).JPG

I'll give the rye 8 - 10 hrs to do it's thing then continue the thread...

Shrooms (Medium).jpg

#5 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:48 PM

As promised here's the continuing adventure. I made up a holder for the tubes while PC'ing them.

DSC01522 Edit.jpg

I didn't trust the holder not to tip over so I braced it.

DSC01523 (Small).JPG

It's all done with the PC and cooling off. Maybe around midnight or tomorrow morning I'll inoculate them all with Cambodian spores. If I can see what I'm doing through the STB I want to give them about 5cc each to keep it consistent.

Overall it's such a small amount I'm working with I'm debating whether to go ahead and setup a shoe box once the experiment is over. It'd be a shame to waste it... especially since it'll  be the first time with Cambodian.

As the experiment proceeds I'll take daily pics once the first one shows activity then it'll be a race to the bottom. A couple additional notes, there was enough rice hulls on top to keep the spores in place but the rye only didn't have such a barrier so I placed a bit of vermiculite on top. After soaking the rice hulls in the tea I let them dry before adding to the rye. I also kept the same amount of rice hulls between the two.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 19 September 2020 - 06:51 PM.

• coorsmikey, Moonless and makinbones69 like this

#6 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:10 PM

I'm popping some corn and pulling up a chair, good luck!

#7 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:08 PM

I'm popping some corn and pulling up a chair, good luck!

That's gotta be one big ass bowl of pop corn to last that long... :ohmy:

I think the Shroom creativity is kicking in with this experiment.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 19 September 2020 - 08:12 PM.

#8 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:05 AM

Yoshi, do you have any of that popcorn left cause here's the next installment!

My newest hobby in front of my last hobby, scratch built quadcopters. I like challenging myself.

DSC01525 (Small).JPG

Fastest hobby vs slowest hobby. Taking bets...

We're off to the slowest race and the clock is ticking.

DSC01526 (Small).JPG

#9 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

I alway have a big ass bowl at the ready! :)
  • Salty117 likes this

#10 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:55 PM

It occurred to me that I didn't detail the rye recipe, it's just the standard ingredient list most everyone is familiar with including coffee and dextrose. I eyeballed the quantities of each ingredient relative to the the final quantity I needed for all three test tubes. Actually the tubes are from a fancy tea leaf collection, I appropriated some from my sisters collection of empties. Just the right size for my experiment, long and skinny! I knew they would come in handy one of these days...  Sometimes having a mild case of Pack Ratitus isn't a bad thing. :dry:

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#11 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

I checked the experiment this morning, no surprise, no activity. Until I see activity there's not point in posting additional updates to this Thread. When I do see activity I'll post pics but no promise you'll be able to see past the light reflections on the tubes. If you disagree let me know and I'll post daily pics.

Well crap, I just thought of another control I could have used, BRF Tek as a cap on the rye to keep the inoculation from going too deep in the rye berries. Damn!

Another possible experiment would  be using 4-->1/4" x 7" strips of cardboard suspended in the qt jar as you're filling it with the berries again to act as a conduit. Presoak the strips in manure tea and let dry first. Squirt the inoculant on the cardboard ends

All these ideas are contingent on whether or not they have been tried before.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 22 September 2020 - 11:23 AM.

#12 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:10 AM

I wanted to run another idea for quick spawning rye berries past everyone. Is there a downside to soaking the rye berries in aged manure Tea, drying them then sterilizing in a pressure cooker? The setup is taking the tea from the substrate pasteurization process then soak the rye berries in a half and half mix of tea and water and the other usual suspects. Then proceed as usual with the sterilization process with the addition of the previous post idea. Since it's still early in this experiment I'll go ahead and add it and make adjustments to the timing of the fourth tube.

• Boebs likes this

#13 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

Forth part of the experiment is in the PC.

Test tube with cardboard "fuse" down the middle

20200923_090823 (Small).jpg

I cut off as much of the fuse as possible tucked it in and cut up some more on top to act as a barrier to keep the spores from draining down the tube and throwing off the results.

20200923_091918 (Small).jpg

Then I capped it off using the prepared cap in the background. This is as scientific as I can get with the resources I have.

#14 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:16 PM

I wanted to run another idea for quick spawning rye berries past everyone. Is there a downside to soaking the rye berries in aged manure Tea, drying them then sterilizing in a pressure cooker? The setup is taking the tea from the substrate pasteurization process then soak the rye berries in a half and half mix of tea and water and the other usual suspects. Then proceed as usual with the sterilization process with the addition of the previous post idea. Since it's still early in this experiment I'll go ahead and add it and make adjustments to the timing of the fourth tube.

I've soaked rye grain in the bath water of pasteurized horse manure as well as added coffee to the soak water and even worm casting tea for the hydration.....and all I can tell you is that I never noticed any major difference in colonization times or growth and development.

Mind you, it probably does increase the overall nutrients available to the mycelium it wont matter if the dominant substrain is a poor fruiter to begin with.

#15 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

Well I'll either confirm your findings or who knows. At least we'll have two experiments to reference to. The fourth experiment with the cardboard "fuse" may work out, or not.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 25 September 2020 - 10:59 AM.

#16 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:47 PM

It's been a couple weeks since my first 3g trip sooooo, tonight's the night. I'll meet ya out there. :meditate: I'll be working on the idea of set again, it's not easy for me... Setting is no problem

#17 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:38 AM

So I did 3g of Ecuador this time (3g of B+ the last time) and can report that what visuals there were were very weak compared to the B+. I had powdered them in a coffee grinder then capsuled, each cap holds about .3g. I had the same slight stomach upset and diarrhea afterwards but nothing to worry about. As the shrooms started kicking in they forced me to repeatedly deep breath and practically every time I could feel the shrooms taking me a notch higher each time. The body high was about the same as the last time. This time at one point during the peak I had points of pain throughout my body as if something from my psyche was trying to come out but couldn't. Not sure what was going on there. As I was coming down my sister observed that I looked disturbed about something and she was right but I couldn't put my finger on it. Today I've got a low grade headache so I dosed myself with CBD herb, seems to have helped a little bit but it didn't trigger any residual shroom effects like it did the last time. I'm hoping for the next trip I'll have enough GT for another 3g dose so I can see what the differences are between different shrooms.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

A variable to consider:

Brown rice is generally healthier than white rice. (White rice is stripped of its outer layers, fiber, and beneficial nutrients).

But according to Consumer Reports, brown rice had 80% more arsenic than white rice. Arsenic, along with many valuable nutrients, tends to collect in rice’s brown outer hull.

https://foodrevoluti...rsenic-in-rice/

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from this information as far as growing fungi goes, but it's definitely something to consider.

#19 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:13 PM

A variable to consider:

Brown rice is generally healthier than white rice. (White rice is stripped of its outer layers, fiber, and beneficial nutrients).

But according to Consumer Reports, brown rice had 80% more arsenic than white rice. Arsenic, along with many valuable nutrients, tends to collect in rice’s brown outer hull.

https://foodrevoluti...rsenic-in-rice/

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from this information as far as growing fungi goes, but it's definitely something to consider.

I had written up an extended response to your info then the page went to another website and eliminated the write up before I could post it. I don't have the patience to try re-writing it but in essence there are questions about the health consequences on people who's whole food system revolves around rice. Then like everything else there's the corporate profits which always, always, always come before peoples lives, no matter what the consequences. This world has become so dysfunctional. Finally how can we mitigate the buildup up of this contaminate for our particular use. The report you referred to mentioned soaking the rice to help expel the arsenic, I'm thinking soaking the rice, discard the water and let the rice dry for a few days then soaking again, wash repeat about 3x might help. It would help to know if the shrooms pass this contaminate along in it's "flesh" or is it left behind in the substrate. It might help to make this a thread in it's own right open for discussion and suggestions.

#20 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:14 PM

I noticed the first signs of life on one of the experiments, It's the plain jane rye tek. I'm not counting the others out yet. I'd post a pic but can't get a clear shot.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!