• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:06 PM

Seeing if rice hulls would get a quicker colonization with the rye. So far a bust but other factors probably played a factor in the experiment. I might try it again in the future but it's on hold for now. Found out I've got covid on Monday. So far doing good but you never know.  I've been offering advice to others at Reddit, you'd think I'm a long time Pharmer but except for the accidental garden patch I've yet to get anything going inside. I almost reconsidered putting the BRF cakes into the substrate when I spotted the little one poking it's head out. I sometimes exceed my experience, but when I get into a new hobby I go all out. I have to say I enjoy shrooms better than quadcopters, for some oddball reason. :cool:

I did lots of research before ordering spores and if things work out we might be able to arrange something with spore prints, of course depending on lots of things.

#42 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:14 PM

If you want to try a fun little experiment try using hemp hearts with the rye. Hemp hearts contain the one known chemical that causes a boost in potency (Cant remember the name at this time of the natural occurring chemical)

It's a expensive secret ingredient that I use when I go fancy with spawn (rye/millet/hemp hearts) and ontop of that you can sprinkle hemp hearts ontop of your favorite cereal/oatmeal with swirls of honey for a all in one power trip....what's good for you, has gotta be good for the fungi.

And it will help boost your immune system, that a horrible man sorry to hear that your part of the infected. Just whatever you do, dont die lol someone needs to ensure the continuing survival of the cubes you've got in your possession.

And I look forward to doing a trade (after you've done a decontamination rampage lol) sorry man

#43 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:16 PM

If it's my turn to go I'd like to go out in a blaze of shrooms. 300g would be about right.

#44 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:17 AM

That's funny, xlcor just consumed what he said was a estimated half pound of APE and aparently destruction followed in his wake.

The dr of quackology in me recommends you buy some hot sauce (ones with the warning label on them) that will open up the capillaries in your lungs and allow for more oxygen and clear your sinuses out just incase you get it bad enough man.

Worked for me and I had something far worse than covid a few years back. It was like a mutated virus with pneumonia that the body couldnt adjust to, I almost croked then but the hot sauce helped me greatly.

Just be prepared to have a sore stomach and fire shits when passing it.

Caspin is nature's gift of surviving colds/flues
  • DarkPassenger likes this

#45 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:35 AM

The hemp hearts sounds like an interesting experiment for the next set of qts. A little bit here, a little bit there, a little bit in the Scotch. Not sure about the last one...

The hot sauce reminds me of the parable about the fellow who was convinced to fill in for chili taster who had fallen sick. Eventually his farts gassed several people behind him and sent them to the hospital. Anyway I've never been much for hot sauce but needs must... I've got a pharm to attend to.

How To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity:

In the memo field of all your checks, write "for sexual favors".

#46 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:02 PM

Two of the BRF cakes are showing signs of stalling, a B+ wasn't getting on with the fruiting after birthing and the Osirra India has a good coat of mycelia but no fruiting. A while back I came across a post where a fellow accidentally misted his with alcohol instead of water while mostly asleep. He quickly realized his mistake when he smelled it and fanned out the tubs but the damage was done, or so he thought. The next morning he was confronted with hundreds of pins. So I figured what the hell, lets see what happens with a quick mist and a good fanning. As little as I put on them it shouldn't be an issue.

Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries with that.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 17 October 2020 - 06:04 PM.

#47 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:11 AM

I've got a temperature controlled heating mat and it occurred to me to tape the thermocouple to the side of one of the jars. Now I've got an explosion of mycelia in two of the jars that I shook up yesterday and the Mazatapec is proceeding better too. Even the GT is showing signs of life :smile:  At the rate they're going at least two of them will be ready for substrate before the end of the week.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 18 October 2020 - 08:35 AM.

#48 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:29 PM

I've got a new update with my adventures in shrooming. As some of you remember I shaved two cakes of Argentina into substrate about a week ago. Lately it's been sending threads of mycelia above the substrate in a couple areas so things are looking up for that. Of the remaining BRF cakes one B+ has sent two stalks up but the Orissa India is going to town and it's only a half cake. I have no idea of why it's performing so well. If only the B+ was half as enthusiastic... it wasn't worth taking a pic of it.

DSC01550 (Small).JPG DSC01551 (Small).JPG DSC01552 (Small).JPG

Maybe in another week I'll have a trip report.

The Rice hulls experiment is slowly going it's own way with the same two showing any signs of colonization. I'm not even sure it's worth pursuing at this point.

• FunG likes this

#49 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:47 PM

As noted in the previous post the Argentina tub is sending up what looks to be fine white threads of grass about 1/4" tall, almost like the ropey like appearance of healthy mycelia. But standing up like grass??? I'm not all that familiar with the various spawning appearances that shrooms can exhibit. I'm used to what is seen in the above pics from the Orissa. With that being said I may have already answered my query... The good part is is if it is good I've got good colonization going on there, can't complaign about that.

#50 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:28 AM

You've got some wonderful strains of p.cubensis that you're working with funnyfarmer, I'd kill to have a pink buffalo culture going again. They were my money maker of all p.cubensis for many years up until the po po took the battering ram to my door for unrelated matters.

And the orissa India are allegedly the largest growing p.cubensis on the market with extreme potency so you shouldn't be disappointed.

I missed (or forgot) but what was the nature of your experiment suppose to be again? Just trying different growth medians? Or rye preps?

It won't be long before I put the Pink Buffalo to substrate pasture and was wondering if you have any tips when it comes to colonizing and fruiting it? That is if you can remember the particulars...

Yesterday I misted and fanned the B+ cakes and today they're pinning! So glad to see that's all it took to get them going. Another piece of the puzzle solved...

Today I'm gonna see about setting up a fogger tower for the fruiting tent that pipes to the individual FC's. Got some ideas I'll have to work through first. Maybe time for a gram or two to help me with it...

Today I harvested a couple shrooms from the Orissa India cake, not enough for a decent trip but a start nonetheless.

And just to let everybody know it's been 2 weeks since my covid exposure and no reaction yet. Not out of the woods as it may have been a false positive result, I'm gonna try to get retested Monday...

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 24 October 2020 - 11:54 AM.

#51 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:21 AM

The pink buffalo are as easy to fruit as the b+. They're a very good p.cubensis like that.

They're not very good at invitro fruiting however, I'd fan them twice a day.

They always put out a ton of weight on first flush. For 6-8 liters of wbs I'd average anywhere from 10-12oz spawned to 1brick of coir.

#52 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

Thanks FunG, I was planning on mixing the rye with substrate into a 27-30qt monotub. Probably equal parts manure, vermiculite, rice hulls, a dash of gypsum, corn sugar and a bit of another ingredient I noticed on a video, azomite.  I believe he said it helped with colonization and suppressing contams. I used it in the Argentina substrate and so far all seems to be going well. One thing that's puzzling me is how the mycelia is presenting with that one, it looks like a fine carpet of white threads rising about 1/4" above the substrate. This will be the first successful monotub for me if it succeeds. The BRF cakes are only somewhat successful and very limited production.

Argentina BRF cakes transferred to substrate

DSC01558 (Medium).JPG

Another update on the rice hulls experiment, of the four original tests only 2 are showing any signs of mycelia

DSC01555 (Medium).JPG

They're both running at about the same rate.

Edited by FunnyFarmer, 25 October 2020 - 12:30 PM.

#53 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:28 PM

Discard any additive ingredients for formulating a compost recipe in the summer months, to maximize your chances of success just stick with the known "raw" organic materials like horse manure/straw/coir/verm to name a few....non require any additives since they're all cellulose and retain water horse manure is the best because it has a beneficial bacteria that also feeds mycelium.

Just plain Coir works equally well but the mushrooms dont get anywhere near as big as they do when using horse manure.

If you use coir dont get the heat treated triple washed stuff, it's no good for use and it's fairly new to the market.

That thick ropey mycelium is pretty normal on the surface when it branches up to collect moisture from the air. I believe its just called plain old "Ariel mycelium"

#54 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

Whoops, forgot to add the coir to the mix. So either coir or rice hulls. or vermiculite. So many recipes, so many possibilities... I suppose it's best to stay with the tried and true. Manure, coir, and vermiculite.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!