• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,700 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:04 AM

This was interesting, but I had to wonder why Mr. Fields assumes we should understand the Sun "extremely well" when we still don't even know what's up under most of our own planet's oceans. For all we know there may be solar cycles that take longer to complete than civilization has existed.

The Sun Is Stranger Than Astrophysicists Imagined

A decade’s worth of telescope observations of the sun have revealed a startling mystery: Gamma rays, the highest frequency waves of light, radiate from our nearest star seven times more abundantly than expected. Stranger still, despite this extreme excess of gamma rays overall, a narrow bandwidth of frequencies is curiously absent.

The surplus light, the gap in the spectrum, and other surprises about the solar gamma-ray signal potentially point to unknown features of the sun’s magnetic field, or more exotic physics.

“It’s amazing that we were so spectacularly wrong about something we should understand really well: the sun,” said Brian Fields, a particle astrophysicist at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.

https://www.quantama...e-sun-20190501/

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#42 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,932 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:45 PM

I always love an article where it makes those smart folk go, hey we don't know shit about shit here. The never ending search to try to grasp what the hell is going on out there

• TVCasualty likes this

#43 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,956 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:13 PM

Here is a quick tour from juno as it flies by Ganamede and Jupiter.

[Direct Link]

• Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER and Ringo like this

#44 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,700 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:05 AM

These things (black holes) are bigger than I thought.

Or at least their apparent mass suggests so. I mean, they're ALL bigger than I can think once they get to the size of a major city, but even then I didn't think that the diameter of some black holes' event horizons was several solar systems across. And that's how big the big one was 10 billion years ago. It's probably been growing ever since.

[Direct Link]

For just a moment the video has the viewer entertain the idea that dark matter might be untold trillions of primordial black holes, which formed when the Universe did and so are older than atoms and exist at a similar scale. But apparently the math behind Hawking Radiation says they'd evaporate very quickly after being formed so can't be what we measure as dark matter today.

Still, the notion that black holes can eat everything in the Universe and ultimately merge with each other until there's only one containing all the mass there is, was, or will be before exploding it all back "out" (or in some new direction, perhaps) in a recursive endless cycle of turning itself inside-out seems plausibly insane. Endless recursive Cosmological bulimia, I guess.

Edited by TVCasualty, 04 August 2021 - 12:07 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#45 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,700 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:15 PM

Uh, whoa:

Unexpected Link Between Earth Rotation and Great Oxygenation Event

[Direct Link]

That guy's channel is incredibly prolific and so far I haven't watched a video that I didn't learn something from. I learned a bunch of stuff from that one. Kinda crazy to think that it took the Moon a billion years to slow the Earth's rotation down enough (from a 6-hour day to a 12-hour day) to allow cyanobacteria to oxygenate the atmosphere (and the Moon has been slowing Earth down ever since). And just a reminder, this is what Earth looked like back then, more or less: https://dinosaurpict...cient-earth#750

The video above seems to complement this one in a way that I can't quite describe so just trust me and watch it:

The Universe is Hostile to Computers

[Direct Link]

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!