#1 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

I'm looking for some input from people here who have done extracts on my proposed process. Let me know if anything sounds off about this.

The plan
Add 28g dried powdered cubes to a french press (or possibly mason jar?)

Add enough everclear to just cover the powder.

Set the sous vide to 140*F and place the french press in the water bath with the top sticking out of the water.

Allow to steep for 2-4 hours.

Pour off the liquid into an amber colored bottle and store in the fridge until ready to use.

Let me know what you guys think. Anything you would change about the process? Anything to add?

#2 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:27 PM

You may wish to check out this (highly regarded) post on alcohol extraction. There, you will find that, while some extraction of active principle(s) happens within hours, the best results have been had with letting the shroom powder sit in alcohol for weeks or even months. After all, the active principle(s) are minimally soluble in ethanol.

• coorsmikey likes this

#3 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,314 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:50 PM

what is the purpose of submerging the french press?

wouldn't putting the shrooms in a mason jar with ethanol and submerging the jar in the sous vide bath accomplish the same?

warming the ethanol should/might make it more active and therefore extract faster than room temperature

I think the idea is a winner, do keep us in the loop

#4 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:28 AM

what is the purpose of submerging the french press?

wouldn't putting the shrooms in a mason jar with ethanol and submerging the jar in the sous vide bath accomplish the same?

warming the ethanol should/might make it more active and therefore extract faster than room temperature

I think the idea is a winner, do keep us in the loop

I had also considered using a mason jar. I have two concerns. Is it safe to heat alcohol in a sealed container? I assume yes. How would the jar seal without letting in any water in if completely submerged?

You may wish to check out this (highly regarded) post on alcohol extraction. There, you will find that, while some extraction of active principle(s) happens within hours, the best results have been had with letting the shroom powder sit in alcohol for weeks or even months. After all, the active principle(s) are minimally soluble in ethanol.

I have read mikey's thread. At the moment I'm doing a test with 10g in 150 mL soaking at room temp in the french press in a dark cabinet.

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,314 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:58 AM

Is it safe to heat alcohol in a sealed container?

That's an important question and one I should have cosidered before making the suggestion.

The boiling point of ethanol is somewhere near 150 F.   At the boiling point the ethanol would start to expand like water turning into steam. So, maybe, enough expansion would rupture the glass. The seal will most definitely hold at boiling water temps so I'd bet it holds at 150. Canning in mason jars routinely involves submerging the jars in boiling water for as much as half an hour.  Distillers routinely use mason jars to store high proof ethanol so I'd guess the 'rubber' seals would be fine on jars submerged and holding alcohol

Maybe the safe way to go the first time is keep the warm bath temperature below the evaporation temp of the ethanol. That way you'd be getting the benefit of quite warm ethanol but possibly eliminating the chance of the bottle bursting.

If it were me I'd have to do something stupid like take the sous vide machine outdoors with a jar half full of ethanol and find out exactly what temperature is needed to burst the jar.

For SCIENCE, you know.  :huh:

Edited by pharmer, 28 September 2020 - 08:00 AM.

• clumsy likes this

#6 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

My thoughts were similar about using a sub 150*f temp.

My question about the seal was more about how to get it to seal before submerging. When I've done canning the lid is sealed after taking them out of the PC when the lids "ping" shut. I suppose the jar doesnt necessarily need to be fully submerged.

Not sure if I'm going to attempt or not.

#7 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

I hate to fully give this advice because im still experimenting.But I take my dose and soak in warm vodka, strain/squeeze carefully with a coffee filter, repeat 2 more times with fresh vodka to make about a shot then i add some lemon juice.  What i can say is that its pure, clean, and usually visual on a Macrodose (for me like 1g), and so far all positive trips.  FYI my shot usually end up clear or slightly amber, No solids!!  

PS  This is my first trip report advice so I feel like I should add, that there is no sense in over doing it. everyone is different and reacts differently to this powerful substance.  I have personally found that low doses to be the best as Im able to have meditative control over my experience.  Nothing worse than a experience you cant control. 

But it makes for good a good story to tell your co ops. 

Safe travels friends :)

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#8 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 944 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:46 AM

I kinda gave up on this idea.

#9 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,314 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:24 AM

check this video and the comments section. it's not a perfect match to your proposed process but there are some nuggets to be learned

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!