• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:04 PM

Im curious about potency as well. They certainly look a lot like cubes. Was the fruiting technique any different from cubensis? Any special care? Likes or dislikes?

#22 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:15 PM

Last night I spawned both Psilocybe caerulescens and zapotecorum to four bags, two different substrates for each species. I believe both of these strains were obtained in or near Huautla de Jimenez. The caerulescens culture is from a tissue clone, and the zapotecorum is from a multispore inoculation. Grain spawn for both species was rye berries. Each bag was inoculated with approximately 300ml of spawn.

The first substrate is basically a PF mix but I used a 50/50 mix of brown rice flour and millet flour and added 10% sand by volume.

- 2.5 cups brown rice flour

- 2.5 cups millet flour

- 10 cups fine grade vermiculite

- 1.5 cups fine washed sand

- Approx. 1500ml reverse osmosis water

IMG_1856.JPG

The second substrate is a mix of very old compost, sawdust (hardwood pellets), vermiculite and 20% sand by volume.

- 5 cups hydrated sawdust (about 50% moisture after hydrating the pellets. Volume of dry pellets was about 1 cup).

- 5 cups compost

- 5 cups coarse vermiculite

- 3 cups fine washed sand

- Approx. 400ml reverse osmosis water

IMG_1857.JPG

The first substrate was inspired by a member who claims to have had success fruiting the derrumbes using a modified PF mix. The second is a bit of a creative experiment based on a research paper shared by the same member, which indicates that Ps. zapotecorum fruited abundantly on a substrate composed of a 50/50 mix of compost and sand. I've attached the document in case anyone wants to read it. FYI: "barrarae" = zapotecorum.

Attached Files

Edited by DonShadow, 07 October 2020 - 02:22 PM.

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#23 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:10 PM

Need moar pictures! Seriously, though I can’t wait to see what this thread prosuces.
  • DonShadow likes this

#24 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:33 PM

The first substrate is basically a PF mix but I used a 50/50 mix of brown rice flour and millet flour and added 10% sand by volume.

- 2.5 cups brown rice flour

- 2.5 cups millet flour

- 10 cups fine grade vermiculite

- 1.5 cups fine washed sand

- Approx. 1500ml reverse osmosis water

The second substrate is a mix of very old compost, sawdust (hardwood pellets), vermiculite and 20% sand by volume.

- 5 cups hydrated sawdust (about 50% moisture after hydrating the pellets. Volume of dry pellets was about 1 cup).

- 5 cups compost

- 5 cups coarse vermiculite

- 3 cups fine washed sand

- Approx. 400ml reverse osmosis water

The first substrate was inspired by a member who claims to have had success fruiting the derrumbes using a modified PF mix. The second is a bit of a creative experiment based on a research paper shared by the same member, which indicates that Ps. zapotecorum fruited abundantly on a substrate composed of a 50/50 mix of compost and sand. I've attached the document in case anyone wants to read it. FYI: "barrarae" = zapotecorum.

Very curious to see how you fare with that flour-based sub. I'm wondering how such a physically dense sub will do (with that much flour) in a mycobag.

I have attemped several Zapotecorum projects in the past year, but have not yet made it to fruiting with any of them-- my most recent was a simple cased WBS container that went bacterial about 2.5 months in. I had actually considered using a modified PF method myself, but in PC-safe meal prep trays like these:

12OZ tray.png

I had planned on having sand and a little straw in the mix as well, hearing that Zaps thrive on straw in particular from an experienced old hand. I have some prints from that same person that I will use for my next attempt, as I have solved a lot of the issues that gave me such headaches earlier in the year.

I am also very excited to work with Caerulescens one day-- I have some prints that are said to be from wild field specimens out of GA, but I'm not really sure if they're legit yet based on the source (amateur collector without a track record-- so I guess we'll find out this coming year when I can get to them if they were properly ID'd)

Look forward to seeing your progress-- and thanks again for the excellent sharing of information!

• DonShadow and YoshiTrainer like this

#25 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:41 PM

Caerulescens and zapotecorum both colonize pf tek mix fine, although more slowly than some other species. My jars still have a ways to go until full colonization, don't know yet if they'll fruit from this for me (although others have had success previously).

• DonShadow, YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#26 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:30 PM

I thought the flour might be an issue, and indeed it turned into a brick after PCing but it broke apart with little effort and was easy to knead into a light, uniform soil. If the bag was loaded with more substrate it would have been trickier to manage.

Both species are colonizing all bags quickly, incubating at 76F. The zapotecorum seems to have a bit more vigor though.
  • Jrotten, YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#27 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

I broke down my caerulescens bag today into a recovery tray. It colonized the 2.5lb sub with 10ml LC in 10days and added 3 for consolidation. Very mexicana smell.
  • Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#28 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:19 PM

I’m curious about fruiting conditions for these. FAE? Like humidity likes it dry? What are you guys fruiting these in?

#29 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:02 PM

I've mine in a gasket tub with multiple holes drilled in it stuffed w/polyfil. I use an aquarium pump bubbling into a jar, into another jar, then into the tub. High humidity, good FAE and 75-80F or something like that. My set up is very small but I'd imagine similar results when scaled up.

https://mycotopia.ne...d/#entry1465867
  • DonShadow likes this

#30 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

So, the zapotecorum is responding much more favorably to the PF substrate, whereas the caerulescens seems to much prefer the compost substrate. Things are getting interesting...

• Jrotten, YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#31 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:46 PM

Harvest day, these guys are laying over, ready for a landslide. The top of the stipes are bluing, the lamellae have darkened, time to pick, clone and print. Another interesting trait, the pileus easily separates from the stipe. One more thing, tray next to this one is also caerulescens, same age but no wood pellets added, no pins yet either.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201010_105038-1.jpg
  • 20201010_105741-1.jpg

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 10 October 2020 - 06:50 PM.

• coorsmikey, Jrotten, DonShadow and 1 other like this

#32 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

B7EA6241-C2AB-4892-9BB0-7D53AEA8E336.jpeg
This is one day after the breakdown of the bulk bag into the recovery tray. So resilient. Casing maybe tomorrow or the next day looks like.
  • Jrotten, DonShadow and YoshiTrainer like this

#33 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:38 PM

@Yoshi do you think those are tall because of FAE or is that just how these grow?

#34 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:50 PM

@Yoshi do you think those are tall because of FAE or is that just how these grow?

I think that is just how they grow? Im pretty sure I remember them being compared in size to wild cubes? With more sub, I'd bet they'd get thicker and heavier.

#35 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:42 AM

Those look awesome YT! Fantastic work. So it sounds like the wood may have aided the fruiting, that’s great to know! It looks like you may have enough for a decent dose there, as I’m pretty sure these are quite potent. Sticking to the 10:1 wet:dry ratio you may have roughly 2g. Stoked to hear about your experience with them.

Approximately how much time passed from casing to pins, and pins to harvest?

Edited by DonShadow, 11 October 2020 - 01:46 AM.

#36 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 644 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 03:08 PM

Thank you Don, hopefully I'll find some time in the near future to test these!

Unfortunately, the label on the tub inside the FC is pretty beat up. From what I can tell, they were cased and put in the FC 8/21?
From pin to print was 2 weeks. These were grown on a somewhat rich mix of straw and Hpoo with a 1-2 Tbsp hard/soft fuel pellets added. Maybe less nutrients in the bulk would speed up the pinning time? I have some grains finishing that will probably go into a verm/COIR mix with added fuel pellets and maybe a pinch of chicken feed, coffee and/or Hpoo?

I have a Semp tub that started pinning around the same time and is only 1/2 way-ish to harvest.
  • DonShadow likes this

#37 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

Very cool. Did you manage to get some prints then? It sounds like they are slow to pin, but grow fairly rapidly once pins appear eh?

As for substrate mix... according to experienced cultivators it sounds like sand is pretty important in both the sub and casing mix. I chose to use compost, sawdust and a high volume of sand because this seems approximately like what would be present in their natural environment. I’ve noticed that caerulescens is quite slow on grain spawn, but by contrast it is tearing through the compost/sawdust/sand mix, so hopefully that’s an indication that I’m on the right track. It also colonized a straight hardwood sawdust substrate very aggressively.

Edited by DonShadow, 11 October 2020 - 04:51 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#38 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 08:49 PM

Do the print easily?
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#39 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,383 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

Do the print easily?

Just shake the toner cartridge and the will print just fine!

• DonShadow likes this

#40 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,906 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:31 PM

Do the print easily?

Just shake the toner cartridge and the will print just fine!

Thanks Mikey, it's good to know.  (To know I'm not the only smart ass here, that is :)

• DonShadow likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!