#41 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,375 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:32 PM

Oh now you’re calling me the smart ass? I learn from the best!
  • Juthro likes this

#42 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:52 PM

FD10DB87-6955-4A62-B5D5-8D02C4EA2663.jpeg day one recovery tray
7BB30BB1-DEEC-4546-99B8-A6E732519A19.jpeg day two recovery tray
4972906C-33F0-4817-9042-388A18A24C43.jpeg Cased it today on day two.
This looks like it’s gonna be a good one. Strong culture at least

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 11 October 2020 - 09:52 PM.

• coorsmikey and YoshiTrainer like this

#43 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,898 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 10:55 PM

Oh now you’re calling me the smart ass? I learn from the best!

Generally I would rather be called a smart ass, then a dumb one, but, I have been accurately called both a various times in my life :)

Nothing but love for you Mikey, and there is no smart assery there, that is sincere   :hug:

Edited by Juthro, 11 October 2020 - 10:56 PM.

• DonShadow likes this

#44 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 642 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 11:33 PM

Very cool. Did you manage to get some prints then? It sounds like they are slow to pin, but grow fairly rapidly once pins appear eh?
As for substrate mix... according to experienced cultivators it sounds like sand is pretty important in both the sub and casing mix. I chose to use compost, sawdust and a high volume of sand because this seems approximately like what would be present in their natural environment. I’ve noticed that caerulescens is quite slow on grain spawn, but by contrast it is tearing through the compost/sawdust/sand mix, so hopefully that’s an indication that I’m on the right track. It also colonized a straight hardwood sawdust substrate very aggressively.

I'm trying to print them now and treating them like Semp, leaving them for 48hrs. I also put a damp piece of paper towel under the foil to help maintain humidity. I'll know more tomorrow.

I do have sand in my casing but not the sub. I wonder what benefits it provides in the sub, iron, maybe texture, silicates? I added it to my casing in hopes for better evaporation. I do add some powdered chicken feed to my subs which among other things has various minerals perhaps like what could be found in red clay soils? My grains plus a pinch of wood pellets are almost done colonizing. I'm thinking verm/COIR/wood pellets plus chicken feed, maybe coffee? maybe a pinch Hpoo? and now sand to consider?

That is what is so much fun about these threads, sharing all our different approaches and hopefully successes or even failures to learn from.
  • DonShadow likes this

#45 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 571 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2020 - 05:16 AM

I agree, these threads are great. lots of people trying different things and observing what works and what doesn’t. It’s cool to develop skills that allow one to generate miraculous fungus. Hopefully our efforts will make it easier for other people to succeed in the future. I suspect most of us are non-professionals but there aren’t really many professionals in this field so in that sense we are sort of professionals I guess!

Edited by DonShadow, 13 October 2020 - 05:19 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#46 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:55 AM

I used sand in the casing and sub and I always do for my mexicanas. Possibly provides some microbes that offer protection seeingbthat I have next to no contams in those subs where I do use it not really sure. Do you want the casing just standard surface conditions or do these like it wet/dry? I love the mexicana smell these have. Got another bag going this time with straw added.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#47 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:29 PM

Does this species usually take longer to form primordia or about the same as cubensis?

#48 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 642 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:46 PM

Do you want the casing just standard surface conditions or do these like it wet/dry? I love the mexicana smell these have. Got another bag going this time with straw added.

They do smell nice! My casing was very damp when they first went into the FC where it sat...... After weeks, I decided to give it a thorough soak and a week (?) later pins started forming. From there it took 2 weeks to grow from pin to almost ready to print. I could've picked them at first veil break which might have been 9 days? My sub that fruited has straw, Hpoo, other stuff and a pinch of hard/soft wood pellets.

Unfortunately, another similarity for me w/Semp, I can't get them to print, so far.
Final dry weight minus material for cloning was 1.8g. I think the fresh mush may have been waterlogged? I added 10ml of water to my small sub in hopes of keeping the big mushroom cluster happy and growing.

#49 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:57 PM

I recently saw a method where you can take the full mushroom and poke a hole of foil and put the stipe through and place the foil with the stipe sticking out in a glass of water and that’s supposed to help. Usually I have a clear paper tote and I’ll place the foil down over wet paper towels and spray the lid and knock off the excess with my hand.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 15 October 2020 - 07:57 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!