• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 08:10 PM

Damn that’s lower than I expected. Well I guess we can compare notes I spawned 1 myoquart South Carolina to 2 mycoquarts sub. And another I think somewhere around 1:1.5
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#82 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:48 PM

How long do Caerulescens spores typically take you guys to germ on agar?

The print I had did not germinate on any of the three plates in any of the nock spaces... it's been about 9 days. I scraped the thing in multiple places so I know I didn't just get a gimpy gill. The print appeared to be brownish in color, and seemed very very dry-- as in the static charge from the petrie lid bounced the spores off the hobby knife tip several times before I could actually lay them into the plate. (I've never had that happen before, and it did not happen on the Pan Cam's I nocked during that same session)

Not sure if this means I had a bad print or not, but the trader had no history and didn't seem the most knowledgeable -- so I'd already been a little doubtful with it.

#83 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:03 PM

Jesus not sure how I missed this thread. Late to the party. Just like with the semperviva,

I'm following CaptainFuture's approach. His genetics as well. I have a bag that's been

in fruiting since 12/12.

Looking good ya'll!

• SporeyMF, ChocolateStarfish and YoshiTrainer like this

#84 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:14 PM

You didn't find it-- it found you ;)

• Asura likes this

#85 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:48 AM

Gave up on my cakes - it'd been about two months, and they were quite bacterial. I have some grain colonizing, so I'll try some small totes next.

#86 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 09:40 PM

Does anyone have genetics available? Prints, swabs, etc?
  • DonShadow likes this

#87 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 05:21 PM

I got you on a couple swabs if you haven’t found them already.
  • coAsTal likes this

#88 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:41 PM

How is everyone doing in here? I’m just about to noc if jars. Does WBS+ superfine straw or super fine sawdust sound reasonable as a spawn?

Edited by Jrotten, 06 February 2021 - 12:00 AM.

#89 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2021 - 10:22 PM

JR, you reminded me...I'm still waiting for this stuff to pin. Almost 2 months later.

• Jrotten likes this

#90 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

One of my weilii tubs contamed after nearly two months but I still have one more. It's only 3 months old lol. Don't have to the culture anymore and decided to go back to spore anyway. Caerulescens was fast but this weilii is just really nice to work with.

#91 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 01:40 PM

I never got germination on any of the plates that I nocked up last month-- just been busy with Pans, Aucks and Semps so I haven't tried again with new plates yet

#92 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:49 PM

I've 3 tubs, oldest went in dub tub on 12/9. When I moved everything from N facing window to S facing, the casing went from light/fuzzy gray to thick white. Hopefully that is a good sign!

I went to case another tub last night and saw some Army green mold growing so I cased it with wood chips I use for my woodlovers. Maybe I'll get lucky?

#93 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:52 PM

My attempts so far have contaminated before doing anything. Am trying again with oats -> worm castings/straw/sawdust/vermiculite...

#94 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,714 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2021 - 01:35 AM

Great work so far everyone! Definitely excited to start working with this species thanks to a wonderful member here ;)

I’m wondering how their tendency to grow on landslides plays a role in all this... I was tossing around an idea in my head and it might not be the best but I’m wondering what you all think:

I’m wondering if landslides ripping apart consolidated mycelial mass might be a major trigger for this species... the stress the mycelium feels would likely make them want to fruit right?

What about the rubble that finds its way on top of the mycelial mass after the landslide? Relatively large clumps of sandy soil and clay pebbles should make an excellent microclimate for pins to form...

Do you think that we could exploit this tendency to grow on landslides in our cultivation attempts?

What if a tray was allowed to fully colonize and consolidate but was then “stirred up and cased”?

I’m thinking of using one of the substrate mixes that has worked the best for others and letting it get nice and colonized and then mixing it up a bit... maybe using a fork to beak it up a tad... maybe even turn a few chunks upside down. Instead of packing it all back down flat I was thinking of leaving it a bit rough with some thin patches and thick areas and then casing with something porous and gravelly to get that pin dance going. Making the substrate look and feel like it just slid down the side of a hill lol

I was crushing Lava rock and Clay pebbles (hydroton) for my loph soil mix the other day and I have a bag of small-medium sized pieces of both of those on hand. I’m thinking of adding some of each to some sandy cactus soil and verm to use as a casing. I think that might be a good representation of the debris that would cover the area of a landslide.

I dunno what do you guys think? What do you think about an experimental “landslide tek”? Am I missing anything that this idea would horribly fuck up? Lol

I think I’ll try something like that anyway along with a more standard approach but it’s gonna be a minute considering I just put some on agar lol

Damn, I’m rambling like hell now... too much grass perhaps lol

Anyway... Keep up the good work! Hope to join you all soon :)

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 10 February 2021 - 01:38 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#95 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2021 - 02:46 AM

It is certainly a fun idea to try, why not? In nature, these mushrooms are not babied like indoor cultivation. Maybe for one bag, an aggressive rip apart and a second bag, more of a smoosh to simulate a slump of soil? I also think certain minerals like iron might play a role? In nature, supposedly they can handle standing water and full sun. I had two mini MS tubs next to each other in the FC, the one w/wood pellets added fruited, the one w/out did not fruit.

Good luck with the agar!

#96 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 820 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:43 PM

It turns out Caerulescens are tough! The shoebox I mentioned above w/the Army green mold looks good today. I broke off the area w/mold and cased the rest with bark chips straight from the bag, soaked in hose water and drained on a cardboard box, not sterile. The Caerulescens seems to like it! The bag is now outside in the greenhouse, fingers crossed for some fruits!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210218_095838-1.jpg

• Jrotten, DonShadow, Moonless and 1 other like this

#97 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 543 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2021 - 05:08 PM

I've been thinking a lot about what ethnobotanist420 was talking about. Both the caerulescens and zapotecorum are 

found in landslides. But rather than changing up my sub I've been wondering if the landslide itself is a kind of

pinning trigger. Thinking along the lines of shitake where you have give the bags a good smack to trigger

pinning. I don't know....grow out a bag and once it's colonized let it drop 3 feet to the ground?  :biggrin:

• YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#98 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 05:15 PM

I really like the idea of replicating the sudden air/evap exposure like that in the colonized sub-- I had been thinking like was mentioned earlier of maybe purposely mudding up a casing surface with a heavier amount of the red clay soil when applying then scraping into it deep once it's colonized.

Thought being that the exposed surface may need trauma to activate pinning?

Hmm...

#99 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 331 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

Landslides probably don't hold water well either do they.

My weilii tub has a lot of knots as it should after nearly three months in fruiting.

#100 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:45 PM

I have WBS with oak sawdust fully colonized.  Looking at spawning substrate... I'm seeing straw, I'm seeing compost... what about coir?  My compost is heavy with coffee grounds and straw I grow everything including semperviva on coir and that compost about 50/50.  I could easily add either oak detritus, fine sawdust from sanding oak floors, or even paper which I have actual wood lovers going on.  I have straw and horse manure for pans...

I feel like anything that likes soil probably does well with coir, but I know straw works really well for some woodlovers.  I only have one jar and expanded my plates so I don't have a lot to experiment with presently.  I have several jars of Zapotecorum also ready to spawn so a multiuse substrate for both would be great...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!