117 replies to this topic

#101 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:37 PM

Going with a total confusion substrate. It’s my usual Semperviva sub (coir/compost/verm) and to that I added 20% by volume fine oak sawdust, added lime water and spent coffee grounds, then essentially doubled the total volume using chopped straw. Pasteurizing in bags and will just fruit from them. I did the same for Zapotecorum. Hopefully there’s plenty for them to like in there.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#102 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

Pins! I have 3 shoeboxes of Caerulescens going right now, this is the oldest. All 3 were in separate dub style setups and when my FC had room, they were placed in there on 1/11. 10/19, a pint of wood fortified grains were added to 3 myco-quarts of sub that were sterilized in a bag. The sub is COIR/verm/fuel pellets/coffee/gypsum/chicken feed. On 12/9 it was cased with COIR/verm/sand and put into a dub. On 1/11 it was transferred to my FC. The other subs were bulked on 11/25, cased on 12/25 and 12/16, cased on 12/30.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210227_140139-1-1.jpg
  • 20210227_140139-2.jpg

• Jrotten, DonShadow, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#103 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:50 PM

Mine shows a little sign of recovery. I’m afraid my sub is too dry or too heavily wood. The culture moved fast on agar and slow on grain/wood for some reason I assume is a matter of adding the sawdust in dry. I love to see your success, but am I right in reading that this has been a slow process?

#104 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:03 AM

For these bags, I soaked the fuel pellets independently then added to the sub before PC. I recently made a bag of Semp fortified with wood that I was able to soak all together. These are kind of like Semp in that you can forget about them and they just do their thing.
  • Jrotten likes this

#105 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:14 PM

An update, mush are sizing up nicely and 2nd shoebox is starting to produce. Unfortunately the subs are looking a bit funky, gnats and possibly contamination? Might be too much moisture and possibly too much H2O2 too though? I doubled my air input but removed the "condenser" jars which might be the problem. If my temps would stabilize a little more, I'd just put these outside.

My hope is to get a couple clones, a print and a harvest before it gets too funky! Check out the double mush too, if I cloned it, would that trait carry over?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210311_225216-1.jpg
  • 20210311_225232-1.jpg

• Sidestreet, Jrotten, DonShadow and 4 others like this

#106 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:25 AM

Not a bad harvest considering how the sub looked. I took clones from the biggest fruit in the cluster and hopefully have a couple caps printing. Second shoebox had more but smaller fruits. The weather is starting to warm here so these subs are going outside in the next couple days.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210317_231905-1.jpg

• Arathu, ElPirana, Moonless and 2 others like this

#107 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 614 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2021 - 12:33 PM

Looking good, Yoshi.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#108 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2021 - 10:53 PM

Well I cooked a pan sub bag after spawning so I let it sit for a bit, then I repasteurized and added about a quart of straight grain spawn.  No wood, but it's very heavy on straw so maybe that will do the trick.  We will see.  I was just being lazy honestly, but straw is good for many wood lovers and horse manure always seems like a good bet so I went with it.  We'll see.

• YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#109 friendscat

friendscat

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 74 posts

Donator

Posted 28 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

HIPPIE3’S NEGLECT TEK BY ACCIDENT????
I was attempting a derrumbe (Caerulescens) grow using stand PF jars with a little sawdust thrown in because I’d heard they liked it. Then two of the jars got contams, so I put the jars in my garage to separate them out but didn’t throw them away. Of course, life got in the way for weeks.
Then one day I walk by the table where I had left them and behold there was a fully fruited derrumbe and a pin in the jar. They had beaten back the contams and had fruits with no FAE in their jars, except the four little hole in the top. The weather in the garage was variable so sometimes the temps got down to the 30s and then back up the 50s or 60s during the day. Oh, and the only casing was the standard PF 1/2 inch of verm on top of the jar.
As an emergency tactic I quickly whipped up the same mix they had grown in and mixed it all with coir.
To make a long story... well a little less long...
The cap finished opening enough to get a usable spore print within 2 days.
With all the problems everyone’s had in getting caerulescens to fruit, this is incredible,

Edited by friendscat, 28 March 2021 - 05:31 PM.

• bezevo, DonShadow, newmoon and 3 others like this

#110 friendscat

friendscat

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 74 posts

Donator

Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:59 PM

This also confirms how contam resistant this species is.
Hopefully, some of the more experienced growers will get some useful information about caerulescens from this accident.
  • Moonless and YoshiTrainer like this

#111 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:50 PM

Nice job FriendsCat, I didn't know they fruited in vitro but it makes sense! Did you also have jars that didn't contam, how'd they do?

JR, if you are worried about wood in your sub, I'd wonder if you could just add sawdust or tiny bits of bark to your casing?

I put my tub with contaminated subs outside and peeled all the micropore tape off the FAE holes. Mother Nature has already cleaned them up some, hopefully she'll decide to fruit them too.
  • Jrotten likes this

#112 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:56 PM

I did something dumb. I am going to have to pull a plate out of the fridge and start again. I think the thing to do will be to run some of my sawdust through the PC hydrate it before adding it to a sub. It came from kiln dried oak flooring. I’ve had issues with it every time. Even straight wood lovers that will eat oak twigs have had issues with it and every time I use it in grain jars they take forever regardless of species.

I’m sort of in a down period of growing. It’s going to take me a bit to ramp back up. Right now I’m just playing with my Semperviva and my first full sized Pan tray.
  • Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#113 friendscat

friendscat

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 74 posts

Donator

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:36 PM

I keep getting singles, but the singles keep giving me spore prints so I’ll keep going with Azure’s method slightly modifying it as I gain experience.649DCA0B-70E6-42F2-BFFC-D5FE89C48E79.jpeg

Edited by friendscat, 12 May 2021 - 09:41 PM.

• newmoon, Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#114 friendscat

friendscat

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 74 posts

Donator

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:10 PM

OK… I finally got a the ‘Ndi Ki Xo to get more fruiting.
The interesting thing here is that I used a straight PF Tek, but waiting longer for the fruiting to start to really form inside the jars. Simple, easy, effective. Of course, they take longer to fully colonize, but so what?

Attached Thumbnails

• C7779ABC-D495-46B2-941A-CF9DE40D9E2A.jpeg

• newmoon, Salty117 and YoshiTrainer like this

#115 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:28 PM

Nicely done! After harvest, do you plan to soak them and repeat your process for a 2nd flush? What type of FC are you using?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#116 friendscat

friendscat

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 74 posts

Donator

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:18 PM

Thanks! In keeping with the idea of trying to achieve as much simplicity as possible, I’m using plastic shoe bins you can get from a dollar store for well… a dollar. If we can make the Derrumbes Little Saints available to everyone. I have also NOT been misting water more than once every three or four days and keeping humidity around 99 percent through moist perlite below the cakes.
I will indeed try to soak the cakes to see if a second flush comes.
  • YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#117 friendscat

friendscat

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 74 posts

Donator

Posted 07 October 2021 - 03:42 PM

Flush number two. As the derrumbes are so important to us religiously, I’m overjoyed that I am able to get these to fruit using such a simple method.

Attached Thumbnails

• AD99CAD7-BADD-490B-B4C3-6B1FEC1DB2B2.jpeg
  • D6F13CA0-D39E-40A7-85E5-9D9DCDE8C303.jpeg

• Arathu, newmoon, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#118 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,952 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2021 - 05:17 PM

Those are incredibly beautiful!