123 replies to this topic

#121 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 691 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2022 - 04:38 PM

My most recent attempt to grow the derrumbes yielded a modest success -- 3 dried grams, enough for my girlfriend and I to have a much more powerful experience than we could have anticipated, given what seemed to us a pretty low dose (1.5g each). I'll write more on that in another thread.

The substrate was prepared using the following recipe:

- 275g coconut coir

- 100ml sand

- 100ml chopped straw

- 50ml coffee grounds

- 50ml oat bran

- 50ml ryegrass seed

- 25ml gypsum

- 25ml CaCO3

- approx. 1L reverse osmosis H2O

Casing:

4 : 4 : 1 : 1 (by volume)

peat moss : coarse vermiculite : CaCO3 : sand

Grain spawn was 500ml millet inoculated with a multispore liquid culture.

Approximately 1500ml substrate was mixed with 500ml spawn in a lined rectangular tub to a depth of 2.5" and incubated for about 30 days at 77-80F.

After casing the tub was placed in a martha greenhouse with lots of airflow and +/- 95% relative humidity using an ultrasonic humidifier. Temperature 75-85F.

Pins appeared after about 30 days in the greenhouse. Growth was very slow. Unfortunately my girlfriend developed a severe allergy to mildew growing in the greenhouse, so we had to dismantle it before the flush had completed. This left me with an opportunity to experiment, so I decided to place the bag in an unmodified sterilite monotub-style tote, and provided manual misting and fanning 2-3 times daily. To my surprise, the fruits continued to grow, albeit very slowly, and did not look particularly healthy. I later placed the tray in a tote fitted with holes for air exchange, but this didn't seem to help much. Still, patience and persistence paid off and I was able to harvest a few very dense fruits, and even got a decent spore print (which unfortunately seems to be sterile -- 0% germination thus far).

So this grow was to me a modest success and a good learning experience. The very slow growth of this species makes it a challenge to ward off contamination. As you can see the mycelium also ate up the casing very aggressively and put out hundreds of primordia, a tiny fraction of which actually survived.

IMG_4166.JPG IMG_4167.JPG IMG_4168.JPG IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4238.JPG IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4261.JPG IMG_4282.jpg IMG_4301.jpg IMG_4302.JPG IMG_4303.JPG IMG_4304.JPG IMG_4305.jpg IMG_4306.jpg IMG_4320.jpg IMG_4321.jpg IMG_4322.jpg IMG_4324.jpg IMG_4325.jpg IMG_4362.JPG IMG_4363.JPG IMG_4364.JPG IMG_4365.JPG IMG_4366.JPG IMG_4367.JPG IMG_4368.JPG IMG_4369.JPG IMG_4370.JPG IMG_4373.JPG IMG_4389.jpg IMG_4390.JPG IMG_4392.JPG IMG_4394.JPG IMG_4395.JPG

For my next attempt I'm going to try growing a few cultures in bags in an outdoor greenhouse, and possibly in an indoor greenhouse or other fruiting chamber. I'm using two different substrates, which are composed roughly as follows:

Substrate #1:

5 : 3 : 2 : 1 (by volume)

Compost : sand : coarse vermiculite : chopped straw

The compost is mostly composted sawdust from old gourmet grow bags with a little bit of household compost and humus/leaf litter.

Substrate #2 is almost the same as the one used in my previous grow, but with more sand and lower nutrient content:

- 275g coconut coir

- 300ml sand

- 50ml chopped straw

- 25ml coffee grounds

- 25ml rice flour

- 25ml ryegrass seed

- 25ml gypsum

- 25ml CaCO3

- approx. 1L reverse osmosis H2O

The 1st subtrate bags were inoculated ten days ago and are now close to full colonization. The 2nd substrate bags were inoculated today. I am also attempting to grow Ps. zapotecorum and Ps. semperviva using the two aforementioned substrate mixtures, but will not document in this thread.

Edited by DonShadow, 23 April 2022 - 04:46 PM.

• ElPirana, Moonless, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#122 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 691 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 12:30 AM

The derrumbes are loving the new compost mix (substrate #1). Both the caerulescens and zapotecorum fully colonized the blocks in under a week.

Caerulescens:

IMG_5307.JPG

Zapotecorum:

IMG_5308.JPG

The place where I sourced the compost belongs to a gourmet mushroom farmer that I work for. I provide master cultures and sawdust blocks which he expands to more blocks and fruits in large shipping containers. Behind his grow warehouses there is the "mushroom graveyard"--a swamp in which he tosses hundreds of spent sawdust blocks. It is truly a sight to behold, and the resulting compost is amazing! I figure it's probably not too different from the soil that might be found in a very wet rainforest floor... lots of decayed leaves, a bit of clay and a large volume of fine wood particulate and woody debris that has achieved maximum putrefaction.

IMG_2448.JPG IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_5290.JPG IMG_5292.JPG

By contrast, the coir-based substrate #2 is showing very slow growth in some bags, and appears to be almost stalled out in a couple of others.

In the next couple of days the compost blocks (substrate #1) will get covered with a thick layer of sand and placed in a humid outdoor greenhouse that varies between 10-30C.

BTW: The inspiration for the compost substrate came from the following document: Attached File  barrerae.pdf   1.24MB   2 downloads

Edited by DonShadow, 06 May 2022 - 01:55 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#123 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,499 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 11:27 AM

That is so cool on many levels Don, can't wait to see the caer and zaps start popping!
  • MushLuvR likes this

#124 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 882 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 01:30 PM

Wow, that is ONE crazy Bone (Block) Yard there, put's mine to shame. 

MushL

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!