184 replies to this topic

#121 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2022 - 04:38 PM

My most recent attempt to grow the derrumbes yielded a modest success -- 3 dried grams, enough for my girlfriend and I to have a much more powerful experience than we could have anticipated, given what seemed to us a pretty low dose (1.5g each). I'll write more on that in another thread.

The substrate was prepared using the following recipe:

- 275g coconut coir

- 100ml sand

- 100ml chopped straw

- 50ml coffee grounds

- 50ml oat bran

- 50ml ryegrass seed

- 25ml gypsum

- 25ml CaCO3

- approx. 1L reverse osmosis H2O

Casing:

4 : 4 : 1 : 1 (by volume)

peat moss : coarse vermiculite : CaCO3 : sand

Grain spawn was 500ml millet inoculated with a multispore liquid culture.

Approximately 1500ml substrate was mixed with 500ml spawn in a lined rectangular tub to a depth of 2.5" and incubated for about 30 days at 77-80F.

After casing the tub was placed in a martha greenhouse with lots of airflow and +/- 95% relative humidity using an ultrasonic humidifier. Temperature 75-85F.

Pins appeared after about 30 days in the greenhouse. Growth was very slow. Unfortunately my girlfriend developed a severe allergy to mildew growing in the greenhouse, so we had to dismantle it before the flush had completed. This left me with an opportunity to experiment, so I decided to place the bag in an unmodified sterilite monotub-style tote, and provided manual misting and fanning 2-3 times daily. To my surprise, the fruits continued to grow, albeit very slowly, and did not look particularly healthy. I later placed the tray in a tote fitted with holes for air exchange, but this didn't seem to help much. Still, patience and persistence paid off and I was able to harvest a few very dense fruits, and even got a decent spore print (which unfortunately seems to be sterile -- 0% germination thus far).

So this grow was to me a modest success and a good learning experience. The very slow growth of this species makes it a challenge to ward off contamination. As you can see the mycelium also ate up the casing very aggressively and put out hundreds of primordia, a tiny fraction of which actually survived.

IMG_4166.JPG IMG_4167.JPG IMG_4168.JPG IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4238.JPG IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4261.JPG IMG_4282.jpg IMG_4301.jpg IMG_4302.JPG IMG_4303.JPG IMG_4304.JPG IMG_4305.jpg IMG_4306.jpg IMG_4320.jpg IMG_4321.jpg IMG_4322.jpg IMG_4324.jpg IMG_4325.jpg IMG_4362.JPG IMG_4363.JPG IMG_4364.JPG IMG_4365.JPG IMG_4366.JPG IMG_4367.JPG IMG_4368.JPG IMG_4369.JPG IMG_4370.JPG IMG_4373.JPG IMG_4389.jpg IMG_4390.JPG IMG_4392.JPG IMG_4394.JPG IMG_4395.JPG

For my next attempt I'm going to try growing a few cultures in bags in an outdoor greenhouse, and possibly in an indoor greenhouse or other fruiting chamber. I'm using two different substrates, which are composed roughly as follows:

Substrate #1:

5 : 3 : 2 : 1 (by volume)

Compost : sand : coarse vermiculite : chopped straw

The compost is mostly composted sawdust from old gourmet grow bags with a little bit of household compost and humus/leaf litter.

Substrate #2 is almost the same as the one used in my previous grow, but with more sand and lower nutrient content:

- 275g coconut coir

- 300ml sand

- 50ml chopped straw

- 25ml coffee grounds

- 25ml rice flour

- 25ml ryegrass seed

- 25ml gypsum

- 25ml CaCO3

- approx. 1L reverse osmosis H2O

The 1st subtrate bags were inoculated ten days ago and are now close to full colonization. The 2nd substrate bags were inoculated today. I am also attempting to grow Ps. zapotecorum and Ps. semperviva using the two aforementioned substrate mixtures, but will not document in this thread.

Edited by DonShadow, 23 April 2022 - 04:46 PM.

• friendscat, bezevo, ElPirana and 4 others like this

#122 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 12:30 AM

The derrumbes are loving the new compost mix (substrate #1). Both the caerulescens and zapotecorum fully colonized the blocks in under a week.

Caerulescens:

IMG_5307.JPG

Zapotecorum:

IMG_5308.JPG

The place where I sourced the compost belongs to a gourmet mushroom farmer that I work for. I provide master cultures and sawdust blocks which he expands to more blocks and fruits in large shipping containers. Behind his grow warehouses there is the "mushroom graveyard"--a swamp in which he tosses hundreds of spent sawdust blocks. It is truly a sight to behold, and the resulting compost is amazing! I figure it's probably not too different from the soil that might be found in a very wet rainforest floor... lots of decayed leaves, a bit of clay and a large volume of fine wood particulate and woody debris that has achieved maximum putrefaction.

IMG_2448.JPG IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_5290.JPG IMG_5292.JPG

By contrast, the coir-based substrate #2 is showing very slow growth in some bags, and appears to be almost stalled out in a couple of others.

In the next couple of days the compost blocks (substrate #1) will get covered with a thick layer of sand and placed in a humid outdoor greenhouse that varies between 10-30C.

BTW: The inspiration for the compost substrate came from the following document: Attached File  barrerae.pdf   1.24MB   19 downloads

Edited by DonShadow, 06 May 2022 - 01:55 AM.

• Arathu, friendscat, bezevo and 5 others like this

#123 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 11:27 AM

That is so cool on many levels Don, can't wait to see the caer and zaps start popping!
  • MushLuvR likes this

#124 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,141 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 01:30 PM

Wow, that is ONE crazy Bone (Block) Yard there, put's mine to shame. 

MushL

#125 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2022 - 11:06 PM

The caerulescens has been in fruiting conditions for almost a month now. I've got two bags outdoors in a greenhouse, and one bag in my office in-vitro fruiting in a bag. Both are substrate #1 (compost). Substrate #2 (supplemented coir) colonized very slowly. It has only recently fully colonized the blocks.

The outdoor bags get misted every couple of days or when the sand casing looks dry, and fresh air is provided naturally through the doors of the greenhouse. Casing does not appear to be colonized and no sign of pins yet.

IMG_5357.JPG IMG_5439.JPG IMG_5360.JPG

The in-vitro bag was misted/fanned every 3 days until pins formed, and has four small 1cm holes/slits covered in micropore tape right at the substrate level. A blue actinic light turns on for one hour every night at 2:00AM. The casing is colonized up to the surface in patches, and many pins are forming around the edges of the substrate next to the walls of the bag. No pinning from the surface of the casing yet. At this point I don't touch it at all. Growth is much faster than previous grows, and the pins look healthy. The largest pin is about 1" tall. The caerulescens is in the middle bag:

IMG_5497.JPG IMG_5493.JPG IMG_5494.JPG IMG_5495.JPG

Given the healthy looking fruits and relatively fast pin formation and growth, I have a feeling that the caerulescens is happy with this substrate (#1, compost), but the casing layer is too thick, or the wrong material. I suspect that they will fruit well in-vitro with a thinner casing layer. I will try this same fruiting method in the future but with a shallower casing of various compositions. If in-vitro fruiting is the way to go for this species, what a terrifically simple solution to the puzzle!

Edited by DonShadow, 06 June 2022 - 11:43 PM.

• Skywatcher, friendscat, ElPirana and 5 others like this

#126 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2022 - 10:43 AM

That is good to know Don! I have some Caerulescens from South Carolina and from Mexico on agar right now, hopefully I'll be as lucky!

Thank you again!
  • DonShadow and MushLuvR like this

#127 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2022 - 12:19 AM

The in-vitro indoor bag is producing some decent looking specimens. Growth is slow, but so much faster than previous attempts. The temperature in the room is not much warmer than usual (70-75F), so I don't see that being a factor in the increased rate of growth. I figure the growth is about 1/4" per day, comparable to Psilocybe semperviva. The largest fruit is about 2" tall now, and there are some nice looking clusters.

Sorry about the blurry photos, it's hard to get a good shot through the bag.

IMG_5504.JPG IMG_5507.JPG IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG IMG_5510.JPG

I'm also seeing pins poke up through the middle of the casing now, which gives me hope that there may be more fruits yet to come, and that in the future a thinner casing might improve the flush.

• Arathu, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#128 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:17 AM

That bag is looking great Don, it'll be interesting to watch them mature!
  • MushLuvR likes this

#129 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:13 PM

Some S. Carolina caerulescens starting to fruit. They are in a trashcan that has drainage holes and pea gravel on the bottom. A layer of compost, a couple clean subs, cacti soil then sand, some RGS and a mist sprinkler that comes on twice a day.

20220613_143002-1.jpg
  • Skywatcher, DonShadow, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#130 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2022 - 08:22 PM

That’s amazing Yoshi! Well done! Would you mind describing your fruiting method in a little more detail? I’d love to try something similar.
  • MushLuvR and Nichrome like this

#131 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2022 - 05:18 PM

It is a 22 gallon trashcan with multiple 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom which are covered with weed cloth. I put a 1.5-2" layer of pea gravel across the bottom then a 1" layer of compost. I placed the subs on top of the compost and filled in around and on top of the subs with cacti soil. Only about a 1" layer of cacti soil on top of the sub then a thin layer of playground sand and some annual RGS. The combined layers in the bottom of the trashcan are only a few inches thick. I also added a misting sprinkler that waters for 2min around 7am and pm everyday. There are a few smaller holes drilled around sub level and a few above. I put a sheet of plastic clamped to the top of the trashcan but folded back some of the edges for better air. Most of my Summer into Fall will be 100F + and dry, these are on the N side of the house under shade cloth.

I hope this helps Don.
  • Arathu, Skywatcher, DonShadow and 2 others like this

#132 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2022 - 07:25 PM

That does help very much Yoshi, thank you for that detailed description. What material did you use for your substrates? Did you break them apart or were they left whole and surrounded by the cactus soil? That is a very innovative technique, and looks like it works well! Again, very nice work.

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#133 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:25 PM

Thank you Don!

l have to get back to you on the original substrate, I don't have my notes right now. They were left whole and just covered with cacti soil, straight from the bag.

We can thank Arathu for the idea, he used it for HOTW with great success!
  • Arathu, DonShadow and MushLuvR like this

#134 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 June 2022 - 11:47 AM

Very cool. Pilei off to you and Arathu then! The grass is a nice touch, I’ve often wondered if that would benefit outdoor grows, or even indoor grows. I hope you’ll enjoy the fruits of your labor :)
  • Arathu and MushLuvR like this

#135 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2022 - 06:35 PM

I have my notes Don.

A great start to the new year apparently! On 1/2/22 I made two identical subs and added 1 myco-quart to each. For each sub I used:

80g COIR
1C vermiculite
2C water
20g hard/soft wood pellets presoaked and squeezed
2tsp gypsum
1 tsp powdered chicken feed

They were cased a month later and sat until I decided to put them outside in the trashcan. I don't remember that date, maybe April?
They are on automatic mister style sprinklers twice a day, around 7am/pm for 2min ea. Im not sure the ground water temps but certainly cool to the touch, maybe 60F?? Our air is rather dry, day temps have probably averaged 90-95F with some 100F days, low night temp averaging probably 60-65F? The trashcans are on the N side of the house under an 'Almond' colored shade cloth structure. They are sitting on concrete pavers placed on the soil. I have plastic sheeting over the trashcan's opening, clamped in place at 3 points and folded up like a tri-fold hat.

I usually check my trashcans a couple times a day but just returned from a few days away. The last I saw was similar to the photo above, I was happily surprised to see this!

20220616_144019-1.jpg

I'm not sure how I'm going make time but I want to try these fresh! I may have to 'step' the night and watch the sunrise. I wonder if the family would be offended if I asked them for Father's day if I could go camping.....all by myself! :) :) :)

I was thinking I may modify the placement of the mist sprinkler to act as rain from above rather than a ground sprinkler.

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 16 June 2022 - 06:37 PM.

• elfstone, Arathu, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#136 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:55 PM

Thanks a lot for all that info Yoshi. A very simple formula, I like it! I think I'm going to abort the subs I have in the greenhouse and repurpose them to do this instead! I may skip the mister on the timer and mist manually for now, but the auto mist is a nice touch, and the results speak for themselves--very impressive! I hope your father's day wish will come true sir!

Oh yeah just one more question; what strain of caerulescens is this one, or where was it harvested?

As for my grow bag... it's still plugging along slowly but surely. There are about 20-25 fruits that look like they will reach maturity.

286636468_734200397620643_8033656016046459813_n.jpg

• ElPirana and MushLuvR like this

#137 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2022 - 10:10 PM

You are welcome Don, thank you for your help!

These mush were labeled South Carolina. The automatic sprinklers are a must, our Summer hasn't even reached it's peak yet! I do have strain from Mexico that a kind friend shared with me that is almost ready for grain.

Your bag is going to be THICK with mush when those bad boys mature. Do you think they might eventually need some water added since it is such a heavy load? Great job!
  • DonShadow and MushLuvR like this

#138 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 716 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:22 PM

You are welcome Don, thank you for your help!

These mush were labeled South Carolina. The automatic sprinklers are a must, our Summer hasn't even reached it's peak yet! I do have strain from Mexico that a kind friend shared with me that is almost ready for grain.

Your bag is going to be THICK with mush when those bad boys mature. Do you think they might eventually need some water added since it is such a heavy load? Great job!

It sounds like the weather here (southern Canada west coast) is quite a bit milder than your location, particularly this year. We're averaging about 55F but we're usually 70-90F at this time of year. I'm going to look into setting up a misting system anyway as I'm often away for good chunks of time.

I'm pretty much shooting in the dark here so any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated. My sense was that the caerus don't much like direct misting but your tek has clearly shown that that isn't the case. I haven't been misting mine at all, just letting the natural humidity of the bag do the work. They don't really appear to be dried out, but then again, I don't know what they should look like  :huh:

One thing's for sure... we're making progress!

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#139 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2022 - 11:16 AM

Definitely different climates! I may get away with the twice daily sprinklers because it is very hot and dry here?

Yes, the bag should definitely keep the moisture levels up but the mush get pretty big and thick. I always think about Faht adding water to his PE grows when they start to fill in. Obviously not even close to the same situation but a beautiful canopy like you're headed for is going to use a lot of water!
  • fahtster, DonShadow and MushLuvR like this

#140 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2022 - 04:03 PM

Well, I had to pull them, they were beginning to look a little rough! With no chance of fresh mush trip in sight, they are in the dehydrator. At least I'll have some dry at the ready. I will be moving the sprinklers up to the top of the can, it may be a bit aggressive at mush level. Now I hope and wait for some more pins to come.

20220618_083848-1.jpg
  • fahtster, Arathu, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!